Shantaram in AudioBook format?

by Gregory David Roberts

Moderator: Liz

SweetSam

Shantaram in AudioBook format?

Unread postby SweetSam » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:42 pm

I am wondering if anyone has gotten a copy of Shantaram in Audio Book version, particularly on CD? I read the book a while back, and will most probably read it again before the film comes out. But it being over 900 pages, and I have a lot I'd like to read — I love listening to audio books, so I am strongly considering getting it in this format as well.

Some reviews I read said that the narrator is "spot on" with the voices and that listening to it definitely enhances the enjoyment of the book!

The issues: They have it for 2 different prices on Amazon; seems like maybe it would be two different versions. :-/ Strange thing is, it has 2 different ISBN numbers listed for both versions, but the same 2 numbers! Both say "unabridged", but I am not so sure! It seems like it the same thing!

My hesitation is this: Amazon does not say how many hours or how many CDs it is, but CDuniverse.com seems to have the same version as the lower priced one, and that it is 8 CDs. I am afraid this will be EXTREMELY Abridged and that maybe it is a mistake saying it is Unabridged. :-?

In comparison of Audio Book CD lengths, the 5th Harry Potter, which was the longest HP book, but less than 900 pages, is 23 CDs, (& if I recall correctly, it's 44 hours!) and the new one, is about 750 pages, and is 17 CDs. So how could a full 936 page book be only 8 CDs? :-? :eyebrow: :-?

I am hesitant to contact Amazon about this, as, in my past experience, their customer service people have no knowledge of any more details of the products than it states online.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks in advance!!!

(Please forgive me if I'm posting this to the wrong place, as I'm not sure. Kindly move it if it is.)
Depp: It's true. I don't sing along to music.
Q: "Brown Sugar" comes on …
Depp: I might sing a little harmony. I might air guitar. Drumming. I like to drum.

'ello, Beastie! — CJS, DMC
I wish to be moved. — JD as JW

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:17 pm

No worreis, SweetSam...good question. I'm not too well versed in audio books but 8 cd's would seem to me to be way too few. Maybe someone else has listened to it and can answer your question. :-?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:21 pm

My guess is that if there are only 8 CD's that it is an abridged version of the book. :-/ Definitely Not the way to go for this book (in my opinion). Good luck tracking it down
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

SweetSam

Unread postby SweetSam » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:24 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:No worreis, SweetSam...good question. I'm not too well versed in audio books but 8 cd's would seem to me to be way too few. Maybe someone else has listened to it and can answer your question. :-?

Thanks DITHOT.
I hope some here has experienced this on audio! :hope:
Depp: I might sing a little harmony. I might air guitar. Drumming. I like to drum.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:21 am

SweetSam, I have recently listened to 2 audio books. One in particular was no more than 400 pages as a hardback book. It came to 13 CD's. Based on that, I would say that 8 CDs for Shantaram points to it being abridged. I would also agree with you in your assessment of Amazon. Maybe you can call a local book store. Sometimes their information desks can find out more info. I would think that at least they can find out if it is abridged or not. And not to confuse things further, but I just went on iTunes. There is a Shantaram audio book (just one) professing to be unabridged. The cost is $51.95. Unfortunately, it doesn’t say how many discs it is. I don’t know if that helps you or just confuses the issue.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:36 am

SweetSam - not sure whether you know of audible.com - its an audio book website and I've had nothing but success over the past five or so years that I've used their services - just checked and they have Shantaram unabridged and they are listing it at 43 hours and are selling it for $ 48.97 American - you can listen to a bit to see if you like the narrator (Humphrey Bower) - once you've bought it you can leave it in your online library and stream it, you can download it to your computer and listen that way and you can burn it to a disc for something more portable but I'm not sure about mp3 capability - best part is that it doesn't matter how many times you do what with it - as a technically challenged individual this for me was a bonus incase I managed to delete or destroy a copy - hope that helps
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Nena

Unread postby Nena » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:28 am

AMAZON Germany offers the unabridged version for EUR 92,50 :blush: I think I´d rather settle for the book... :capnjack:
Johnny forever

deppsdebb

Unread postby deppsdebb » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:29 am

Sweet Sam, I work in a public library where I catalog incoming items. Our FRIENDS volunteer group purchased Shantaram for us at the cost of $40 (discounted library price, take note, we can not use Amazon because they require a credit card) It has 35 CDs.

Be aware that there is a new system in play concerning ISBNs. The old way is a 10-digit #, the new ones are 13. There is no difference in the item itself if these 2 numbers are listed for the same title. (Unless specified IE: one is a paperback if looking book format)

I noticed Lizbet suggested the downloadable version. A good idea, but check first with your local library. Ours just joined a program called e-books, where you register with the library then can download the audiobooks from your home computer...for free! Though it might not be available immediately. The draw back is if you load it to your computer you have 3 weeks to access before the license runs out but you can bypass this by
loading it to a MP3 system or similar and then you have it for life if you like.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:54 am

Thanks, everyone for the great info! Zoners to the rescue as always! :pirategunshot:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

SweetSam

Unread postby SweetSam » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:07 pm

Ok, I looked up the publisher's website, Blackstone Audiobooks. Then I called them today. Yes, they confirmed that it is 35 CDs! Amazon has it for $29.67, (list is $44.95) and the publisher will match their price.

Lizbet, thanks so much for your suggestion. I checked out audible.com, and their 10 minute excerpt was wonderful! They also sound like they have a really good deal going. I realized that I know someone has a membership with them, and she loves it!

So, now, I have to decide which way to go with it! (Decisions, Decisions... :baby:)

Deppsdebb, thanks so much for the library and ISBN information. I have been thinking of asking my public library to try and obtain it. The publisher has library versions, which seem to have only the longer ISBN number, and is in 2 parts of 17 & 18 CDs respectively.

Liz, thanks for the info on it, though' I could not seem to get much info from the iTunes site without being a member.

I think the CDuniverse listing of 8 CDs is just a big mistake!

Ladies, thank you again for all the input and suggestions!

:thanks!: ;-)

I'll post about it when I get it!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Please do, Sweet Sam! Thanks to you and everyone for all the info. :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:49 pm

Thanks to everyone for solving another mystery. There's a big difference between 8 and 35 CDs. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Shantaram”