The Casting of Karla?

by Gregory David Roberts

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Casting of Karla?

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:19 pm

:-O Monica Bellucci had always been my first choice......

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1026921&CatID=7

Life beyond ‘Shantaram’

Preeti Raghunath
Sunday, April 30, 2006 18:50 IST

Author Gregory David Roberts talks on the film adaptation, wanting to cast Charlize Theron and his advice for Salman Khan.
Lin baba, kasa kai? you call out and he smiles. Gregory David Roberts aka Lin stepped out of the leaves of Shantaram for a book signing session at JW Marriott last week.

Fans thronged the event to get a glimpse of the long-haired writer, to ask him about Karla or about his sequel which will be out at the end of this year.

Heading to the Bahamas in June to meet with Johnny Depp and director Peter Weir for the movie based on his book, he says, “We start shooting on November 1, but I’ve been busy travelling around the world giving speeches.”

The casting team are auditioning for Indian actors from South Africa, UK, Canada and Australia. “I think Charlize Theron is the best actor on this planet and would suit the role of Karla just right! There’s also Monica Bellucci, Naomi Watts, Jennifer Connelly and Kate Beckinsale who could play the part,” he adds.

From being a criminal to now being wined and dined by high-society, the transition for Roberts has been fairly easy.

“When I was a gunda, I never hurt anyone. I was helping people and am able to continue now,” he says. Life post Shantaram has meant less time for him. “My life remains the same – I still chill at Leopold, ride my bike, start my morning with idli sambar and sada chai. I think it’s tragic if I couldn’t be myself!” he exclaims.

Roberts has set up a Shantaram Trust to eradicate TB from South Mumbai, continues his work with Happy Motorcycles and has started a film company called Satorii Films. “We go on our bikes to jhopadpattis, pick up people who have TB and take them to hospitals,” he explains.

Having personally gone to penitentiary hell and back, ask him if he has any pearls of wisdom for Salman Khan, and he says, “I have the same wish for every artiste – that they’re free and continue to create beautiful art.”
r_preeti@dnaindia.net
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:05 pm

That would be interesting to see Johnny and Charlize together again. I'm not sure I see her as Karla but then they don't ask my opinion! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Megan

Unread postby Megan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:08 pm

*Crosses fingers for Naomi Watts*

:hope:

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:21 pm

I kept seeing Angelina Joli while I was reading this book...but I am so sick of Brangelina that I couldn't take it if she was in one of Johnny's movies.

Sioux

Unread postby Sioux » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:23 pm

Oh, I think Char would rock as Karla! I was trying to figure out who might be a good choice, and just couldn't come up with a name. At least, not until I read that. Yes! Charlize has my vote! :cool:

:chill: :pray:
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face ~ J.D.

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:48 pm

I think they're all good choices..They are Greg's ideas..but I'm not sure what influence he would have on casting :cool: They really have to get someone who can capture all of Karla's essence..the beauty,the toughness,the complexity..It's not just enough to look beautiful.. :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:03 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:That would be interesting to see Johnny and Charlize together again. I'm not sure I see her as Karla but then they don't ask my opinion! :lol:

I agree DITHOT I see a a pretty woman for Karla but Charlize is too soft for that part. Now she did do a good job in monster so who knows. She may be able to pull it off.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:03 pm

Charlene wrote:I kept seeing Angelina Joli while I was reading this book...but I am so sick of Brangelina that I couldn't take it if she was in one of Johnny's movies.

me too Charlene
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:31 pm

Howdy, V! :wave: I had the same thought about Charlize. I see someone with darker features but she did an excellent job with Monster.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon May 01, 2006 12:57 am

I'm very pleased with some of those possible casting choices for Karla. I have always wanted to see Johnny work with Naomi Watts, and I would love to see him star in another film with Charlize Theron. I still haven't finished Shantaram yet, but when I first started reading it, Jennifer Connelly was one of the actresses I thought would be a good choice for Karla. I'm glad to hear she's being considered for the role. Another actress who I thought would be a good choice (even though she isn't mentioned in the article) is Rachel Weisz.
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon May 01, 2006 2:23 am

Rachel Weiz she would be a good choice, having seen alot of her work I think she has that coolness that would be needed. Naomi Watts is a nice idea as is Jennifer Connelly but I think both are a little soft for the role. Charlize is suffering from the Oscar jinx that recent actresses that have won it seem to have aquired.

shame_about_rasins

Unread postby shame_about_rasins » Mon May 01, 2006 6:33 am

One ignorant question from me: How old is Karla in the book?
:blush: I am going to read the book, I swear, I own it and everything.
before he came down it never snowed.........

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Mon May 01, 2006 7:31 am

That's a good question sar :disco: ...I'm not sure we're ever told. :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon May 01, 2006 8:04 am

Late twenties, early thirties I think. I don't think it says exactly but there is a sort of mention.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Mon May 01, 2006 9:22 am

Thanks Lizbaba, for this news. :cloud9: It would be great to see Johnny and Charlize work together again, though in some ways I see her better as Sally, Karla's friend. I think Kate Beckinsale could play Karla, she has a certain coolness about her. Naomi Watts, imo would be very good as Ursula. I'm getting excited about this movie.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Return to “Shantaram”