Interview with Roberts - India Times 1/24/06

by Gregory David Roberts

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Interview with Roberts - India Times 1/24/06

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:13 pm

This interview was published today in the India Times. I don't know when the actual interview took place...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1385845,curpg-1.cms

NICOLE DASTUR
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 07:50:17 pm TIMES NEWS NETWORK
Gregory David Roberts, Author on scripting a movie based on his book.

'I was busy interacting with the underworld'

You're scripting a movie, based on your book Shantaram. What gives you greater creative satisfaction scripting or writing?

I've scripted only the first draft for the film, based, of course, on the book. It was a creative process making my life into a novel, and then, translating 900-odd words into a 90-minute film, was another creative process.

But looking back at my life, and putting it all into words and images was enlightening.

Shantaram was a success as a novel. Will the movie click?

I think the film will be even more interesting than the book since it's essentially the story of my life.

And not even a moment of my life was boring, I was constantly on the run, escaping from prison, interacting with the underworld.

In fact, my life was so pictorial, it was intended to be made into a film!

Most of the film will be shot in Mumbai... Yes, since the story is semi-autobiographical, and since most of the later part of my life was spent in Mumbai, 90 per cent of the film will be shot here.

It's impossible to re-create a city like Mumbai, there's only one Mumbai

Officials from a foreign studio house are in the city scouting for loca tions...

Yes, shooting for the film begins in November, but the reccé (searching for suitable shooting locations) process has already begun.

The places mentioned in the book Colaba Causeway, Ballard Pier, Kala Ghoda, Sassoon Dock, Haji Ali will be part of the film.

We'll also be shooting in North India, to substitute for Afghanistan. Some scenes will be shot in Australia and USA.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

DeepinDepp

Unread postby DeepinDepp » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:26 pm

:thanks!: DIHOT, :omg: I believe that is the second time we've heard a November start date! I wonder if Mr. Roberts will be on location? I would think so.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:55 pm

Deep, there was another report out of Mumbai a few months back that referenced Johnny being invited to attend a film festival since he "would be in Mumbai in November". I don't know if that is the same one you referred to or not but it looks like things might be shaping up for Shantaram! I hope Roberts will continue to be involved! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

DeepinDepp

Unread postby DeepinDepp » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:05 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Deep, there was another report out of Mumbai a few months back that referenced Johnny being invited to attend a film festival since he "would be in Mumbai in November". I don't know if that is the same one you referred to or not but it looks like things might be shaping up for Shantaram! I hope Roberts will continue to be involved! :cool:

That may be it!! If Mr. Roberts does go on location I would hope he'd keep a "on location diary" going for his website. :hope:

DarkAngel

Unread postby DarkAngel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:14 pm

A HUGE thank you very much for sharing, that´s really very interesting. :cool:
^^Put a stake through my heart! And drag me into sunlight^^
Lyric by Nightwish

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:19 pm

DeepinDepp wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Deep, there was another report out of Mumbai a few months back that referenced Johnny being invited to attend a film festival since he "would be in Mumbai in November". I don't know if that is the same one you referred to or not but it looks like things might be shaping up for Shantaram! I hope Roberts will continue to be involved! :cool:

That may be it!! If Mr. Roberts does go on location I would hope he'd keep a "on location diary" going for his website. :hope:

He is not very good about keeping his website updated I'm afraid, due to his schedule I'm sure, but a location diary would be something special! Digits crossed! :hope:

Thanks, DarkAngel! I hope we hear more soon!
:cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:45 pm

:hope: :bounce: Good find, DITHOT!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:54 pm

Bix wrote::hope: :bounce: Good find, DITHOT!

Fantastic Find! :bounce: And perfect timing, considering my hometown book club is discussing it tomorrow night at my house. I will have info hot off the press to share now--like I will be short on information. :lol: They will be lucky if they get out of there by midnight. :grin:

I'm sure our Australian Zoners are happy to see there will be some filming there.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:17 pm

Liz wrote:
Bix wrote::hope: :bounce: Good find, DITHOT!

Fantastic Find! :bounce: And perfect timing, considering my hometown book club is discussing it tomorrow night at my house. I will have info hot off the press to share now--like I will be short on information. :lol: They will be lucky if they get out of there by midnight. :grin:

I'm sure our Australian Zoners are happy to see there will be some filming there.

Be sure and let us know what your book club thought of Shantaram. :cool:

I hope our Aussie friends will be able to get us some scoop!
:investigate:

Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:51 am

YOU BET YOUR KIT AND CABOODLE,I'M HAPPY LIZ. :bounce: :snoopydances: :thanks!: :australia: I'm ecstatic. :bounce: ...I knew Greg would win through with using Oz as a location. :flashingheart: ..Now,next question...Where will they film?..Melbourne,I guess...time to ring my friend in Melbourne and arrange a visit....
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:53 am

I wonder if they will do some background to the story based in Australia to show how he came to be in prison and why, as well as the escape. Interesting.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:04 am

That's what I'm thinking..,GG..They'll probably do street scenes in Melbourne.. :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:43 am

Glad to know you are on the case, gilly! :investigate: We will need some first hand reports! :press:

Wow! What a ride!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:16 am

Thanks for the interview DITHOT. Nice to know that things are progressing and that we have a start date. :bounce:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

fansmom

Re: Interview with Roberts - India Times 1/24/06

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:21 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: and then, translating 900-odd words into a 90-minute film
Sounds impossible to me!

Return to “Shantaram”