Interview with Roberts - India Times 1/24/06

by Gregory David Roberts

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:13 pm

I can't imagine even beginning to consider condensing that book into 90 minutes of film. But I suppose that is why I'm a book club moderator and not a screenwriter! :perplexed: I do have full faith in Johnny and Roberts to keep to the essence of the story though!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:35 pm

I'm getting more excited about this project now, particularly as I'm about halfway through the book. Didn't think it would be my thing, but it has definitely grown on me and I admire GDR very much as a writer, he has a wonderfully vivid style and fantastic powers of description. I'm hoping Peter Weir will bring his powerful visual sense to this film, and as much as I adore each and every one of Johnny's more light-hearted and quirky characters, I'm hoping this film may show a wider audiance exactly what he is capable of as a dramatic actor, since they are not getting much opportunity to see him as my beloved :libertine:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:39 pm

Good thoughts, Jackslady. When I look at the list of Weir's films I am really excited at the possibilities!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:06 am

I think he must have that wrong can't be 90 minutes that would be silly, you couldn't do the book justice in that length, unless they are only going to concentrate on particular aspects. We will see I guess. Peter Weir is a person who pays attention to detail and is good at finding the characters in the story and running with them.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:18 am

Here's that other article DITHOT about the filming happening in November..http://www.rediff.com/movies/2005/dec/01depp.htm
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:25 am

Thanks for that, Gilly. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:29 am

That's it, gilly! Thanks! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:28 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Liz wrote:
Bix wrote::hope: :bounce: Good find, DITHOT!

Fantastic Find! :bounce: And perfect timing, considering my hometown book club is discussing it tomorrow night at my house. I will have info hot off the press to share now--like I will be short on information. :lol: They will be lucky if they get out of there by midnight. :grin:

I'm sure our Australian Zoners are happy to see there will be some filming there.
:cool:

Be sure and let us know what your book club thought of Shantaram. :cool:

All of the 11 attendees not only finished the book, but loved it. :shocked: They thought it was very well written. They were fascinated by his descriptions of India and by all of his adventures. And, of course, I was able to enlighten them on many other aspects of Greg, India and its customs and food (which I served--many of the dishes mentioned in the Cuisine tidbit), and on the current filming news. There was some skepticism on how the book would translate into a movie; and some couldn't see Johnny in the part. They need to broaden their JD movie horizons and catch up on all of his past movies. :banghead:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:09 pm

I'm glad you posted that, Liz, because I was wondering how it went. It is pretty amazing that everyone read the whole thing and loved it! It must have been an enjoyable evening, what with the food and all the extra info you had to contribute. I think your book club is truly a cut above Martin's (or was it Jess's?) definition of one! :lol:
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:20 pm

Bix wrote:I'm glad you posted that, Liz, because I was wondering how it went. It is pretty amazing that everyone read the whole thing and loved it! It must have been an enjoyable evening, what with the food and all the extra info you had to contribute. I think your book club is truly a cut above Martin's (or was it Jess's?) definition of one! :lol:

Although they don't get into the deppth that we do here at ONBC, they are still more than a cut above Martin's wife's book club (or his estimation of them).

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:39 pm

Here's a nice interview with Greg,that I don't recall :-? http://www.rediff.com/news/2004/nov/30inter.htm
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “Shantaram”