Squatter cities/slums. Interview with another author

by Gregory David Roberts

Moderator: Liz

neophyte

Squatter cities/slums. Interview with another author

Unread postby neophyte » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:59 am

Heard an interesting interview on NPR with activist Robert Neuwirth, author of Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World. He also lived in a Mumbai slum for a period of time.

http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/audio_library/wv_raaug05.asp
Scroll down to Aug. 24th for the audio.

Scroll down a few days earlier and you'll also find a link to an interviewing discussing the caste system.
"There is no King, who, with sufficient force, is not always ready to make himself absolute."
---Thomas Jefferson

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Neophyte, I just got a chance to listen to it while I cleaned up around my kitchen. It was quite informative. What gets me is that many of the squatters have decent jobs. It is abominable that their own people don't pay them enough. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:54 pm

Liz wrote:Neophyte, I just got a chance to listen to it while I cleaned up around my kitchen. It was quite informative. What gets me is that many of the squatters have decent jobs. It is abominable that their own people don't pay them enough. :-/

NPR while cleaning the kitchen? Are you living my life? :-?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:45 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:Neophyte, I just got a chance to listen to it while I cleaned up around my kitchen. It was quite informative. What gets me is that many of the squatters have decent jobs. It is abominable that their own people don't pay them enough. :-/

NPR while cleaning the kitchen? Are you living my life? :-?

Multi-tasking. We may be doing the same things, but people are not surprised when they see me reading Hunter. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Shantaram”