Meeting Gregory David Roberts (Shantaram)

by Gregory David Roberts

Moderator: Liz

Christabel

Unread postby Christabel » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:32 am

Endora wrote:Did he say anything about what became of any of the people from the slum ,particularly Johnny Cigar?

He didn't - however, he did mention that one of the projects he works with at the moment is a mobile medical centre for the slums in Bombay.

Another rather tragic current event he discussed was the recent destruction of the slums in Bombay by the devastating floods which have left hundreds of thousands homeless and many, many people sick & dying of water borne diseases. But he also recognized the tremendous acts of humanity that are revealed out of such a tragedy, describing the many citizens - many in Armani suits and the like - digging around in the slum to physically help of late.

Veronica wrote:Thank You thank You! You are so lucky to get to meet him. I tend to fall inlove with writters when I read their books & Greg was definately one of them that I fell head over heals for. I look forward to anymore details you may remember. If you can scan his autograph that would be Groovy Man! lol

I know exactly what you mean! And, just to add to my description of him: Greg could charm the pants off absolutely anyone! He's one CHARMING bloke. Actually, I think that's the perfect word to describe him (that is, if you've already used the words intelligent, poetic, astounding, amazing, gentle, soulful, friendly, humble, insightful, eloquent ... which I already have ...)

ok ... I'll resign myself to my little corner now.
The only ones for me are the mad ones...

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:36 am

I'm just heading out the door to work and I had to stop and read your entire post! What a fabulous opportunity!!! :snoopydances: Your description of Roberts is just beautiful as is his of Johnny. What a lucky guy to receive some :capnjack: beads!! Please post anything else you remember about his talk. That is very interesting about the bear! :-O
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:50 am

Yes, thank you so much for this, Christabel. I will now probably be late for work, but I had to read the whole thing right now! Do post anything else you think of.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

AnaMaria

Unread postby AnaMaria » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:56 am

Thank you Christabel, such a lovely report. Great you were able to attend Roberts' speech.
Heartwarming tidbits about Johnny. Giving a memento to everyone involved in a movie. :love: That's our man..... wonderful to hear !
Your story, the way you learned to know Greg, it confirms once again Johnny is THE one to play that part in the movie.
Thanks !

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:26 am

That's so cool (for want of a better word) that you met Roberts, Christabel. Lovely report. Please, keep posting anything else that you remember. Love reading about it.
With real life interfering, it took me three months to read the book. I finished it on my holiday and wanted to start it again immediately (read the latest Harry Potter instead; different, altogether different, I know). I'll reread it this winter, I think. Getting tidbits like these helps in doing that, :thanks!:
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Glendaleigh

Unread postby Glendaleigh » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:14 pm

Christabel, I read all of your report with such a smile! It's grand of you to share your experience with all of us! Don't you dare stay in that corner! Any other little tidbits that you recall would certainly be worth our while to read them. :cloud9:

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:03 pm

Thanks, Christabel ~ I really enjoyed reading your report. Of course I was late getting to work, too, because I just had to read it before I left home. Some things are too good to put off! :thanks!:

dramaced

Unread postby dramaced » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:19 pm

THANK YOU!!! Christabel, for all the great news. It is so heartening when one hears that the person we think Johnny could be really, really is--even more! And the same for Gregory Roberts, whose book I ADORE. His story is in a way even more inspiring because he could have just gone from bad to worse but instead turned his life around. But the fact that Johnny recognized the value of this man's story and wants to bring it to more people by making it a film makes me so proud! AGAIN.... :blush:
Live as if each breath may be your last...because you never know, it could be!

Christabel

Unread postby Christabel » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:49 pm

AnaMaria wrote:it confirms once again Johnny is THE one to play that part in the movie.

I'm ABSOLUTELY convinced of it!

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:34 pm

Christabel, I loved your report. It is one of those things that makes the Zone such a rare and wonderful place. Thanks--and I haven't even read Shantaram yet!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:48 pm

Christabel ~ Thanks so much for posting your encounter with Greg. I've just had a chance to read it and it's wonderful. Greg sounds like a really beautiful person. I can only imagine him and Johnny working together on something like Shantaram. It can only turn out to be an incredible project.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:10 am

Christabel… What a privilege. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Move over Veronica, I too have a BIG BAD CRUSH on GRD and this post just made it bigger and badder.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Christabel

Unread postby Christabel » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:42 am

dharma_bum wrote:Christabel… What a privilege. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Move over Veronica, I too have a BIG BAD CRUSH on GRD and this post just made it bigger and badder.

you have plenty of competition, I must say! LOL. The MC yesterday confirmed as much, her most pressing question being whether he was single and looking (Yes, he answered, completely embarassed, he is - LMAO)

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:25 am

Christabel, thank you for sharing your encounter with us, GDR is just as I imagined him, only I thought he would be taller. :lol: I'm so glad that he and Johnny are collaborating on bringing Shantaram to film. I'm more convinced, as AnaMaria said, that Johnny is the only actor who should play Lin. Very interesting the mirror theme. I loved the book so much I wanted to share it, so I gave it to my brother so I'll just have to try to think back to remember examples. And those bits about Johnny giving momentos from every film and his musical talent (I always felt he knew how to play piano, he has denied it on occasion in interviews) are priceless. Please don't be shy about sharing more of your encounter as you remember, we would all be glad to read whatever you can tell us.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:32 am

Boo-Radley wrote:Christabel, thank you for sharing your encounter with us, GDR is just as I imagined him, only I thought he would be taller. :lol: I'm so glad that he and Johnny are collaborating on bringing Shantaram to film. I'm more convinced, as AnaMaria said, that Johnny is the only actor who should play Lin. Very interesting the mirror theme. I loved the book so much I wanted to share it, so I gave it to my brother so I'll just have to try to think back to remember examples. And those bits about Johnny giving momentos from every film and his musical talent (I always felt he knew how to play piano, he has denied it on occasion in interviews) are priceless. Please don't be shy about sharing more of your encounter as you remember, we would all be glad to read whatever you can tell us.

Live in Depp
Boo

Yes he has always denied playing the piano but maybe he meant he has had no formal instruction and has just picked it up.
I agree with Boo if you wish to share more of your encounter do please.

Return to “Shantaram”