Shantaram News - Chunkey Pandey Reveals....

by Gregory David Roberts

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Shantaram News - Chunkey Pandey Reveals....

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:44 pm

http://www.eians.com/stories/2005/07/27/27film.shtml

Chunkey Pandey's Hollywood debut

Bollywood has-been Chunkey Pandey, who is tasting success after a long time with the Hindi gangster film "D", is excited about his impending Hollywood debut in "Shantaram" based on the eponymous book.

The film happened to him quite unexpectedly when he recently bumped into the author of the book, who was once a junior artist on his sets.

It later came to light that almost four pages of the book had been dedicated to the author's experiences with Chunkey.

The rights of the book were subsequently sold to Johnny Depp and Warner Brothers and a film is on the cards. From what he has heard so far, Chunkey is likely to play an important role in the film, reports Bollywood Trade.

"I am told that the film will have the mafia and Bollywood angle, with a riveting story line based on the book," Chunkey reveals. "Shooting will begin in February next year and the film will be shot in Mumbai, Afghanistan and Australia. Before that I will be given a detailed narration of my role."

Chunkey admits his career is on a roll after 'D'. The offers are pouring in from Priyardarshan and Raj Kanwar among others.

He also starts shooting for Ram Gopal Varma's next film, which tells the story of how everything goes topsy-turvy for four characters in a period of 48 hours. "I am playing one of the four characters in the film," Chunkey says happily.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:45 pm

Johnny is going to be quite the busy fellow. I thought the POTC schedule had slipped? Maybe his part will be finished. Thanks for the new info! gilly, and all you Aussies out there are you paying attention????? Johnny is headed your way! :bounce:
Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:08 pm

I am so excited about this one I can hardly contain myself! :bounce: I hope this is true, Liz. While I was watching CATCF I was remembering those first pictures posted here of Johnny in his Wonka costume and what a long time ago that seemed. I can't wait for Shantaram filming to begin.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:00 pm

Bix, me too. :bounce: I was so anxious to get it up on the board that I was afraid I'd make a mistake. I hope it is true. That's two news stories in 2 days. I hope that more information is forthcoming.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:39 am

Ditz and I are hanging on by our finger nails..I feel strongly that GDR would advocate for the Melbourne gaol scenes to be filmed here..P'raps this calls for another email,Ditz[You're good at getting quick replies :capnjack: ].
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:09 am

I don’t know, guys… sounds like a publicist’s overactive imagination. Bumping into GDR and being told you have an “important” role sounds fishy. So does filming in Afghanistan. I don’t think Warner Bros is going to risk the $$$$ or the 7th most powerful man in Hollywood to shoot in a country that’s still of the verge of civil war (not to mention that Osama guy).

Even if JD wraps POTC3 early, he will need to be available for re-shoots for awhile… that means beard and gold teeth and all. Believe me, nothing excites me more than this movie, but February sounds way optimistic. More intelligence would be welcome!
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:37 am

Someone mentioned that February could actually be the start of preproduction? I suppose that would allow him to keep the CJS trappings while getting ready for the filming of Shantaram? I had the same feeling about Afghanistan as well dharma_bum. Seems quite risky.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:21 pm

I can't wait for this movie to get started! Quite exciting news if it's true. I too, would be very nervous about the idea of filming in Afghanistan. I wonder what part Chunkey Pandey would be playing??
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:07 pm

luvdepp wrote:I can't wait for this movie to get started! Quite exciting news if it's true. I too, would be very nervous about the idea of filming in Afghanistan. I wonder what part Chunkey Pandey would be playing??

Good question. I'm trying to think what character took only 4 pages.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:53 pm

I originally read that he will be playing himself so they must be including some of the Bollywood parts.

Wow! What a ride!

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:04 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Someone mentioned that February could actually be the start of preproduction? I suppose that would allow him to keep the CJS trappings while getting ready for the filming of Shantaram? I had the same feeling about Afghanistan as well dharma_bum. Seems quite risky.

Pre-production makes more sense than "shooting." Let's all think good thoughts... they don't call this stage development hell for nothing (think Rum Diary).
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."

—Johnny Depp

Return to “Shantaram”