Greg Roberts on casting Shantaram ~ Pics of actors

by Gregory David Roberts

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Greg Roberts on casting Shantaram ~ Pics of actors

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:11 pm

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/index.php?sid=193e4d7c810b315617f54a56e4b31c49

DeepInDepp just posted a great article about the completion of the Shantaram script. Click on the link above to read the entire article. Below is an excerpt with pictures of the actors mentioned by Roberts.

And Roberts has his eyes on Bollywood for the Indian cast. His wishlist is a lengthy one.

‘‘Ajay (Devgan) and Amitabhji are my first choices. (These two seemed to come up with the same pic?)

But Jackie Shroff,

Sanjay Dutt,

Shah Rukh Khan,

Salman Khan

are my choice for other characters. For the younger generation—Rahul Bose

and John Abraham are my choice,’’ he rambles.

For his leading ladies too, only the A-list will do.

‘‘Shabana Azmi is my all-time favourite.

Madhuri Dixit might seem stereotypical for some, but she’s too gorgeous.

I’d also like to have Ash,

Mallika

and Kashmira to add spunk to my script,’’ he says.

Oh yeah, and this guy too! :cloud9:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:34 pm

OMG, how did you do that so fast? See? I knew he had all kinds of beautiful Indian actors in mind for these parts. And he has the connections to get them on board. :bounce: Too exciting to be contemplating the real filming of Shantaram! Thanks, DITHOT!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:42 pm

Does anyone see Prabu here? Maybe Bose?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:43 pm

No wonder I couldn't think of anyone when we were "casting" the movie...the only actor I recognized was that last one...what's his name? Johnny?

It is exciting that the movie is starting to come together....can't wait to see it!

Christabel

Unread postby Christabel » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:57 pm

I can see Shah Rukh Khan as Khaderbai.
And I agree that Rahul Bose would do Prabu justice.
John Abraham would HAVE to be Abdullah!
And Aishwarya Rai - jesus she's beautiful isn't she? And she can certainly act (Chokher Bali is a great film and she's geat in it)
And that Johnny depp fella? Yeah, I guess he'll have to do :cloud9:
The only ones for me are the mad ones...

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:57 pm

Christabel wrote:I can see Shah Rukh Khan as Khaderbai.
And I agree that Rahul Bose would do Prabu justice.
John Abraham would HAVE to be Abdullah!
And Aishwarya Rai - jesus she's beautiful isn't she? And she can certainly act (Chokher Bali is a great film and she's geat in it)
And that Johnny depp fella? Yeah, I guess he'll have to do :cloud9:

I agree that Abraham would have to be Abdullah...perfect.
Great article DID and great find with the pics DITHOT ~ you're quick!
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:10 am

IMHO Abraham looks to anglo for Abdullah. In that pic he looks rather wild or evil. I think he would be better as Maurizio. I think Ajay (Devgan) (or is it Amitabhji?) would be better for Abdullah. Salman Khan as Vikram? I agree with you, DITHOT on Bose as Prabaker. Do you think he's thinking Jackie Shroff for Didier? Doesn't seem right to me. And what about Sanjay Dutt? Maybe Nazeer? I see Ash as Karla. The thing is Karla is not Indian. But at least Ash has green eyes. Madhuri Dixit could be Kavita. And Shabana Azmi would be Prabaker's mom (already forgot her name). I wonder who Millika or Kashmira would play.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Christabel

Unread postby Christabel » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:55 am

Liz wrote: I think Ajay (Devgan) (or is it Amitabhji?) would be better for Abdullah. .

Abdulla wasn't Indian though, was he? (Uh oh... I only read it a year ago and I can hardly remember a thing)
The only ones for me are the mad ones...

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:13 am

Thanks DITHOT ..that was quick..I'm not sure I see any of these in the film,any of the men,except Johnny :cloud9: .. I think it's easier to pick the women..I think Abraham looks too macho for Abdullah..I always saw him as quite soulful in a away..a softness and a toughness rolled into one,poetic almost..Ajay does look soulful..he has those qualities I think...it shows you how hard it must be to cast any film..so many different perceptions :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:20 am

Wow! thats great DITHOT thanks! they are all lovely people. The eyes!
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:34 am

I can see Sanjay as Didier. I agree with you gilly about Abdullah. I see Salman Khan more as Abdullah. Abdullah was Iranian wasn't he? Interesting choices! I do wonder about Karla though since she was not Indian.

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:52 am

Christabel wrote:
Liz wrote: I think Ajay (Devgan) (or is it Amitabhji?) would be better for Abdullah. .

Abdulla wasn't Indian though, was he? (Uh oh... I only read it a year ago and I can hardly remember a thing)

I can't be certain either (and we just discussed it a month ago). :dunce: I know he wasn't Indian, Palestinian or Afghani. So I guess that leaves Iranian, as DITHOT suggested. I really don't think any of these choices fit what I imagine for Abdullah.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:33 am

Veronica wrote:Wow! thats great DITHOT thanks! they are all lovely people. The eyes!

My thoughts exactly - they are all just stunning! Thanks, DITHOT!!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:08 am

I have been looking for this book. I want to read it. I am excited for the movie. Great choice of actors.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

DeepinDepp

Unread postby DeepinDepp » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:03 pm

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1417537,00110003.htm

Hollywood embraces Chunky Pandey

Bhawna Gera

Mumbai, July 1, 2005

Ram Gopal Varma’s D gave Chunkey Pandey a new lease of life and reversed the power equation. The industry that discarded him years ago has given him lots of offers after watching him in D. But this time he’s clear, “There’ll be no bad selection of films.”

It seems Hollywood is also ready to embrace him with open arms. He’s been asked to do a cameo in Hollywood film Shantaram (based on book Shantaram) with Johnny Depp. Says excited Chunkey, “I’m mentioned in the book as well and they’ve told me to play myself in the film. And it’s a great feeling.”

It’s been easy shooting in Bangladesh for the last couple of years. “It was like working in India,” feels Chunkey. After D, Chunkey has another film, Darwaza Bandh Rakho by Ramu and an offer by Raj Kanwar. His happiness can be gauged from the fact that he has completely forgotten his last release Ssukh, which flopped badly. “Right now, I want to work only with Ram Gopal Varma. I feel he’s someone who spoils his actors and gets the best out of them.”

Return to “Shantaram”