Shantaram - List of Characters

by Gregory David Roberts

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Shantaram - List of Characters

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 01, 2005 7:49 pm

Since there are so many characters in Shantaram we have put a list together of the most important ones in case you need to refresh your memory:

Leopold’s Group

Lin: Linbaba, Shantaram, Greg Roberts (need we say more?)

Didier Levy: He is from France and a black marketeer. He is a homosexual who drinks too much.

Modena: Black marketeer from Spain, boyfriend of Ulla

Maurizio: Partner of Modena, a very handsome Italian.

Ulla: German prostitute, girlfriend of Modena

Vikram Patel: Loves Westerns and dresses like a cowboy. Wears his heart on his sleeve.

Lettie: English woman who was very close with Didier

Kavita: A freelance reporter

Karla: Lin’s love interest

Other Characters

Prabaker (Prabu): Lin’s tour guide and close friend

Khaderbhai: Afghani mob boss who recruits Lin to work for him

Qasim Ali Hussein: Head of the slum*

Johnny Cigar: One of Lin’s and Prabaker’s friends in the slum

Abdullah Taheri: The Iranian who saved Lin from the swordsman at the Standing Babas and the wild dogs, becomes like a brother to Lin.*

Madame Zhou: Head Madame of one of the top (if not the top) whore house’s in Mumbai. Karla worked for her in a slightly different capacity.

Rajan: The eunuch servant of Madame Zhou

Lisa: rescued by Karla and Lin from Madame Zhou’s

Khaled: Becomes Lin’s teacher in the currency black market. He was an angry Palestinian.

Madjid: Becomes Lin’s teacher in the gold smuggling trade and part of Khader’s leadership council

Abdul Ghani: Becomes Lin’s teacher in passports and part of Khader’s leadership council

Ahmed Zadeh: friend from Afghanistan

Mahmoud Malbaaf: friend from Afghanistan

Nazeer: Khader’s faithful servant/right hand man

*See the official Shantaram site for character profiles on Abdullah and Qasim

http://www.shantaram.com/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Sun May 01, 2005 8:22 pm

Thanks, Liz. Your list is very helpful. I'm still reading Shantaram, but unfortunately I'm at a standstill and need a kick-start to get going on it again. (this list just might do the trick.) I think I'm putting it off because I'm getting fairly close to finishing it, and I just don't want it to end!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 01, 2005 8:41 pm

joni wrote:Thanks, Liz. Your list is very helpful. I'm still reading Shantaram, but unfortunately I'm at a standstill and need a kick-start to get going on it again. (this list just might do the trick.) I think I'm putting it off because I'm getting fairly close to finishing it, and I just don't want it to end!

I know what you mean, Joni. It's hard to finish a book you love. You never want it to end. It's even harder to end a discussion about it. It's a good thing we have a movie to look forward to.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun May 01, 2005 8:56 pm

thanks so much I should have done that while reading the book because sometimes I would get characters confused. Its been awhile since I read the book so this will help me alot in the discussion. :bounce:
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

cait

Unread postby cait » Sun May 01, 2005 8:59 pm

I like to read the last page of a book extremely slow to let all of the words sink in and hold onto in as long as possible.

I'm hoping to read Shantaram in the summer when I have more time to focus on the book. This character list should help me out a lot.
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

MrsRaoulDuke

Unread postby MrsRaoulDuke » Sun May 01, 2005 9:00 pm

No matter how hard I try, I can't get ahold of this book and read it! It sounds soo soo good!

-Sandee
"I LIKE burnt hot dogs and sauerkraut!"
THE WIFE OF A DRUG-CRAZED JOURNALIST

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Sun May 01, 2005 9:14 pm

cait wrote:I like to read the last page of a book extremely slow to let all of the words sink in and hold onto in as long as possible.

I'm hoping to read Shantaram in the summer when I have more time to focus on the book. This character list should help me out a lot.

Me too :) But like Liz said - it's such a gift that we have the movie to look forward to.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 01, 2005 9:16 pm

MrsRaoulDuke wrote: No matter how hard I try, I can't get ahold of this book and read it! It sounds soo soo good!

I don't know where you are located but amazon does ship everywhere and if that is not an option others have suggested that often their local library will be part of a lending program with other libraries. Good luck!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Wed May 04, 2005 6:42 am

Thanks so much for printing this list. I am going to print it out and slip it inside the book for the next reader (though lord knows if any of the "men" in my family would ever tackle this one).

Since starting to read Johnny inspired books, I've found that rereading them has helped alot in the understanding (Dante takes 3 reads, I am sure). It may be awhile before I attempt Shantaram again, as I have a huge pile growing on my nightstand and more on my wishlist in Amazon.

My local library has a section where they sell books - hardbacks, paperbacks, etc. I have found many many hardback novels in new condition (Stephen King, etc.) for $1 to $3. Perhaps some of ya'lls librarys do the same. I am always on the lookout for Hunter's books, and the like, but I think I don't pop in enough to catch the good ones.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed May 04, 2005 11:16 am

Charlene wrote:Since starting to read Johnny inspired books, I've found that rereading them has helped alot in the understanding (Dante takes 3 reads, I am sure). It may be awhile before I attempt Shantaram again, as I have a huge pile growing on my nightstand and more on my wishlist in Amazon.

I have found also, that since I've started reading Johnny-inspired books, I've felt the need for a second reading. I think because the books are more substantial in subject matter than the silly mystery novels I only used to read (and still enjoy when I have time). My aging brain doesn't process like it used to. :blush:

Thanks for posting the list of characters Liz. Since I am very impatient when it comes to books, I read Shantaram when it was first released here and didn't have time to re-read it. This helps me to remember who everyone is. :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Return to “Shantaram”