Desiderata ~ Stanza 8

by Max Ehrmann

Moderator: Liz

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:53 pm

For Jack, it is a beautiful world and he always has a dream. He doesn't have to strive to be happy.
It looks as though Will and Elizabeth have taken a leaf out of his book by the end too. When Bootstrap tells Will that 10 years for 1 day is a high price, Will replies that it depends on the day. I really like that. Talk about living in the moment! That seems to be to be the spirit of this stanza too.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:37 pm

The line about broken dreams puts me in mind of the beach where they see the dead Kraken, and how sad Jack looks when he says that the world isn't getting smaller, it's just that there's less in it.

Somehow for me that was one of the saddest parts of the film.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Endora wrote:The line about broken dreams puts me in mind of the beach where they see the dead Kraken, and how sad Jack looks when he says that the world isn't getting smaller, it's just that there's less in it.

Somehow for me that was one of the saddest parts of the film.

It was, but wouldn't have been if not for Jack's observation.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Desiderata”