Desiderata ~ Stanza 4

by Max Ehrmann

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Desiderata ~ Stanza 4

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:49 pm

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Did Elizabeth feign affection for Jack? And did not Will, Elizabeth, Davy Jones and Calypso become cynical of love?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:28 pm

The last line fits Will and Elizabeth's story. Their love was certainly lasting.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:36 pm

Liz wrote:
Did Elizabeth feign affection for Jack? And did not Will, Elizabeth, Davy Jones and Calypso become cynical of love?

I would say Elizabeth did feign affection for Jack even before that fatal kiss, she flirted with him. Will certainly thought she had fallen in love with Jack.
cyn·i·cal
–adjective 1. like or characteristic of a cynic; distrusting or disparaging the motives of others.

Yes, all 4 of them were cynical of love. Certainly they all had times when they distrusted each other and the motives of the loved one. Though Elizabeth and Will found their way back to each other and reeastablished thetrust in their relationship.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:39 pm

Linda Lee wrote:Liz wrote:

I would say Elizabeth did feign affection for Jack even before that fatal kiss, she flirted with him. Will certainly thought she had fallen in love with Jack.
cyn·i·cal
–adjective 1. like or characteristic of a cynic; distrusting or disparaging the motives of others.

Yes, all 4 of them were cynical of love. Certainly they all had times when they distrusted each other and the motives of the loved one. Though Elizabeth and Will found their way back to each other and reeastablished thetrust in their relationship.

Linda Lee, I'd say that definition fits pretty much all the characters all around! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 pm

Yes, they are an untrustworthy lot. I was going to say after all they are pirates but even many of those who are not pirates fit the definition. (ie Mercer and of course, Beckett)

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:46 pm

Very true!

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:52 pm

You know, until I read over this poem again today, I didn't realize just how much it fits POTC. :eyebrow:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:08 pm

I didn't realize it until the discussion started.

Heather_Hanson

Unread postby Heather_Hanson » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:12 pm

Neither be cynical of love

This part of this stanza reminds me of what you all have said so far. Will, Elizabeth, Davy Jones, Calypso all became a cynical of love. As far as that goes I agree with you all. :cool:
"This is the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!" - CJS
"Fuhgetaboutit." - Donnie Brasco

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:29 pm

I suppose "Be yourself" applies totally to :capnjack: He is what he is: Captain Jack Sparrow. Even when dissembling, he is still true to himself and his goal. It is the line in POTC I am most reminded of, in a way, about whether you can trust an honest man or not. Can't remember the wording but I am sure a lot of you can.
I don't think :capnjack: is cynical about love, though he pretends to be at times. I think he is far too optimistic to be cynical; it's just that it isn't on his agenda. Although having said that, his love for the Pearl is consistent.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:36 pm

suec wrote: Although having said that, his love for the Pearl is consistent.

That it is, Suec. He really does know what he wants.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:03 pm

I had to think about this one for awhile because it didn't come to me as obviously as some of the other parts.

Be Yourself.......Well not only is Jack himself but he is a one in a million. Actually Barbossa, Will, Liz, Davy, Beckett, and most of the others had no trouble being themselves. Even Tia Dalma got into trouble by just following her nature. ( that was how she missed her 10 yr appointment with Davy Jones)

Especially do not feign affection, Neither be cynical about love. This one was harder to see in AWE. Love can be shown in many ways besides romantic.

I don't think Jack was cynical about love. He did tell one of the trollops "No I don't love you! I really never heard him say he loved anyone but he did in his actions.

Liz ???? . She finally came though and was faithful to Will but she sure took her time getting it right. I think she fits the cynical in the way she killed Jack. I think Norrington loved Liz, and died for her. Actually in DMC Jack died for her and the others to give them a chance to escape to shore, but he had to be helped into the decision.( handcuffs)( I like to think he was considering it but needed the push.) Will was the true blue one here, he always loved Liz and he loved his father and never wavered. Davy Jones loved Calypso, he just couldn't stand feeling that she betrayed him. She loved him but it was just not her nature to be tamed. (As untamable and wild as the sea)

For in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

In the face of all aridity, somehow I see Teague holding mom as a shrunken head on his belt. Periennial yes, he still keeps her close.
Yes Liz, Jack does love the Pearl. When they were abandoning ship in DMC before the Kraken attack, he actually caresses it.
Last edited by gemini on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:33 am

suec, here is the quote you refer to:
“Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for...'”

gemini, I never thought about Teague and the shrunken head!
:cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Desiderata”