Desiderata ~ Stanza 2

by Max Ehrmann

Moderator: Liz

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:36 am

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

I think to Jack his achievements were his reputation, which he always tried to make larger than life. Sea turtles mate! And he was a very good pirate after all. As for plans Jack was never without one.

For always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
I don't think Jack had any real class distinctions. He likes being Captain and was a bit possessive of the Pearl but that was because he originally had trusted his crew and had learned a hard lesson. "He keeps things closer to the vest now". He seems as at home in the brig, or in the pub as he is on his ship or in a dinghy.

Avoid loud or aggressive persons, they are a vexation to the spirit. I think Jack was a passmaster at this, He always choose to let everyone underestimate him as part of his plan. He tried to talk his way into and out of every situation and avoid any aggression. He seemed to surround himself with like souls; Pintel, Ragetti, Marty, Cotton, and Gibbs always preferred the easy path to the aggressive one. We saw they were all good with a sword or in a battle when they had to be but only if they had to.

Strangley they were good at defense not offense, except Barbossa and he was also loud. Beckett, and Davy Jones were different. Davy was loud and aggressive but Beckett was reserved and bitter.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:35 am

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

I think to Jack his achievements were his reputation, which he always tried to make larger than life. Sea turtles mate! And he was a very good pirate after all. As for plans Jack was never without one.

I like that description, gemini! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Desiderata”