Desiderata ~ Stanza 6

by Max Ehrmann

Moderator: Liz

deppraved

Unread postby deppraved » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:05 pm

oh, I think everything happens for a "reason". I don't understand it, not at all, (for what reason are some people made to suffer in this life and others have it so bloody easy?) but I believe it.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:53 pm

KYwoman wrote:fansmom, I like your comparison to playing solitaire. Just when we think we know what we want/need, something else comes along and shows us otherwise. Can't count the number of times that has happened to me. Reading so much of Johnny's history I see the 'coincidences' in his life everywhere too. Same goes for all of us, I suppose. I think of how I met my husband and it blows my mind how it all fell into place.

I like the line too about 'child of the universe'. Makes me think of a larger purpose and connectedness.

There are incidents in my life that I look back on that blow my mind. :hypnotic: It seems so clear now why things happened the way they did; but at the time, I was miserable. The result, though, was well worth the unhappiness. Also, the people who have entered my life have been very instrumental in shaping its path.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:46 pm

speaking of things happening for a reason - this whole discussion of Desiderata came at a time in my life when I didn't really know up from down - I know now that the poem had just been posted but I hadn't seen it myself when I asked you wonderful ladies for reading suggestions to get me through a terrible time - and then here was this marvelous discussion (that I have been following though not until now contributing to) - what a gift -

the final two lines of the poem are an anchor (right now) for me

And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Max Erhmann was raised a Christian in the German Methodist Church and I very much see this poem as almost 'a confession of his faith' - infact these final thoughts are so like the promises of the Christian Gospel - that all will be well - that I have had a copy of the poem in one hand while the Bible has been in the other

it seems there has been no end to the grief members of this community have recently experienced so I'm off to extend my condolences to those others who have lost what I am losing - thank you so much Liz and DITHOT for hosting this incredibly inspirational and timely discussion
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:01 pm

That's exactly what this is all about. I love the Zone, really. Lizbet, thanks for that information about the poem possibly coming from a Christian source. I love the last two lines, too. There is a really deep, comforting "connectedness" as KYwoman said. I really am touched by what you said, lizbet, and it just totally reaffirms that there is a connectedness -- among all of us. I sincerely pray and hope that you are all in peaceful rememberance of this poem and these people and this discussion and this wonderful place -- no matter how hard it gets.

Thank you, ladies.
-Kristen

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:46 pm

I'm touched beyond words, ladies. :grouphug:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:06 am

KYwoman wrote: I like the line too about 'child of the universe'. Makes me think of a larger purpose and connectedness.

I think connectedness is what this is about for me. How we each need to be responsible for our time here and realize that we need to be connected to the rest of the world not just concerned about our corner of it. I also think it says we need to be open to what we will experience in life and not try to control everything.

This has been a fabulous discussion and I really appreciate everyone that has contributed their beautiful thoughts. I am so glad to be a part of such a wonderful group! THANK YOU!
:grouphug:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:40 am

I want to thank you all, too, for this discussion. You all have such amazing insight, it is truly humbling to me. I love this poem in my heart, and for me that makes it a bit difficult to discuss - I have nothing to say beyond my emotional response to the words. I have not been able to contribute much, but I have greatly enjoyed and appreciated all your generous contributions. Many thanks to all - and especially you, Liz and DITHOT.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

abigail

Unread postby abigail » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:40 am

lumineuse wrote:I want to thank you all, too, for this discussion. You all have such amazing insight, it is truly humbling to me. I love this poem in my heart, and for me that makes it a bit difficult to discuss - I have nothing to say beyond my emotional response to the words. I have not been able to contribute much, but I have greatly enjoyed and appreciated all your generous contributions. Many thanks to all - and especially you, Liz and DITHOT.

I feel the same way, lumineuse. I've been reading everyone's posts in this discussion and never feel I have much to add. It's all been said, and said so eloquently!
This particular stanza happens to be my favorite bit of the poem. The first time I read it, it took my breath away. I've always been shy and have tried to be invisible, to not "be here". The words "you have a right to be here" are particularly poignant for me; they evoke such an emotional response. It's a battle for me to remember this simple truth. I may have to write this stanza on a note card and carry it with me. They are comforting words during those times when I feel unworthy and am in need of a bit of support in asserting my place in the world.
Thank you all for your input and your effort at creating such a warm, insightful forum. I'm honored to share in the experience.

truelymadlydepply

Unread postby truelymadlydepply » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:40 am

well i havent had much time lately to take part in this amazing discussion
anyway thank you Liz and DIHOT i really needed this discussion and so much of what people wrote rings true here
i sometimes think i am a control freak, i like to think i can organise things to go my way and that im in charge and then something will happen that will make me realise im not in charge and that life will unfold in its own sweet time in ways that i couldnt imagine
a year ago i didnt know about the zone
but stumbled on it by chance
and its opened up a new world, one that i already loved
books, music - the common connection a love of Johnny Depp and then finding out about other things shared
well thank you again
"One time he, (Marlon Brando), says to me: 'How many films do you do a year?' I said, 'I dunno. Two or three.' He says, 'You've got to watch yourself. We've only got so many faces in our pocket.' "

Return to “Desiderata”