Desiderata ~ Stanza 3

by Max Ehrmann

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Desiderata ~ Stanza 3

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:26 am

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

es

Unread postby es » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:42 am

again the balance there isnt it.
altough there is bad things(if it in work or life) but dont forget to see past that and look out for the good things.
for career i read raising my kids that for me is for the moment the most important thing in my life,humble work i have(cleaning offices)and yes it isnt the coolest job but still i can have plessure in it and even feel good when i have done the thiongs i planned for that day.
greets,
es

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:02 pm

es wrote:again the balance there isnt it.
altough there is bad things(if it in work or life) but dont forget to see past that and look out for the good things.
for career i read raising my kids that for me is for the moment the most important thing in my life,humble work i have(cleaning offices)and yes it isnt the coolest job but still i can have plessure in it and even feel good when i have done the thiongs i planned for that day.
greets,
es

Let's hear it for the moms. :thumbsup: It is an important job, it's a lot of work and it's your calling--your purpose in life right now.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:24 pm

Yes, let's hear it for Moms everywhere!

I'm a window dresser in a large store, I'm really lucky because I love my job! It is very satisfying to me to create displays, even if people just walk past them without noticing, I always figure someone probably notices something - hopefully it brightens their day or they are inspired to buy! I find it challenging and fun to be presented with say, three vacuum cleaners and to have to come up with an idea for them! My job might not be the most important in the world, but I always figure it would be a very dull world without some beautiful things for us to look at when shopping!

Working in a shop window is an interesting experience because you see the world go by - I see loving couples, kids, older people struggling to walk, people laughing, arguing, crying sometimes! What I do notice is how rushed and stressed so many people are. I think Desiderata is all about finding the quiet centre within your inner self - it always seems to me that Johnny is good at this now.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:34 pm

I agree Liz and es. Being a mom has been my most important job for the last 16 years. My part time jobs along the way have always been nice distractions. I do sometimes miss having a career that I could feel passionate about, but I always wanted to me a mom, first and foremost. I think that any job that you feel you do your best at and give 100% is worthwhile.

I think there is trickery and deceit in the world. But we can't live our lives expecting it and looking for it. I think we need to expect the best from people both in business and personally and generally, I think people will live up to your expectations.

Life is full of heroism and I'm not talking the kind that makes headlines in the paper or on the evening news. People go out day after day making a difference in the lives of others and doing it quietly, without looking for recognition. Those people are the real heros. JD is one of those and I truly admire him for that.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

deppraved

Unread postby deppraved » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:37 pm

that first line is important to me, and not just because I'm a Mom. I never put down the Mother role. It is the best/most difficult and most important job.
I'm talking about being a hairstylist. I don't have a college education, although I did have the chops for it, and was accepted in all the colleges I applied to, (long story, not important why I didn't go). I often allow myself to feel that it is a lowly profession, BUT--I have the power to help a person feel better about themselves, and that is a LOT of power.
Not to mention the high level of artistry I strive for and when I do a good job, it makes me feel on top of the world, but people with $$ can sometimes make me feel lousy, especially when they talk about their new kitchen/cruise/trip around the world/bonus/third home/WHATEVER!! I can't allow any of that in. They go back to the first two stanzas anyway.
And in the news--all the horror. I try to focus on the people who have the ability to put themselves out there, swimming upstream to make the world better. I prefer to look at that stuff. It's hard to find because they aren't getting the same amount of media coverage as the horror does.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:15 pm

Well, I think my screen name speaks for itself about what's important in my life, and shows that I'm in complete agreement with all of the mothers here.
deppraved wrote:Not to mention the high level of artistry I strive for and when I do a good job, it makes me feel on top of the world, but people with $$ can sometimes make me feel lousy, especially when they talk about their new kitchen/cruise/trip around the world/bonus/third home/WHATEVER!! I can't allow any of that in.

I work part-time in an accounting office, and believe me, I see tax forms for some very wealthy people. I also see their deductions for mental health care. There will always be people with more money--and less money--than I.

My boss complains all the time about how miserable his job makes him, and yet his home is huge, his beach home is custom-made, his wife and kids are leaving for a cruise this week, etc. I know it's trite, but money can't buy happiness.

Speaking of my boss, one thing his money can buy is the ability to exercise caution in business affairs, and I admire him for it. We have a form letter on file which basically says, "What you're doing is unethical. Find another accountant." He doesn't drop clients out of fear of IRS reprisals, because the odds of being audited are extraordinarily slim. He does it because he has a conscience.
deppraved wrote:It's hard to find because they aren't getting the same amount of media coverage as the horror does.

That's why I don't watch TV news, except for the weather forecast!

deppraved

Unread postby deppraved » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:54 pm

fansmom wrote:
Speaking of my boss, one thing his money can buy is the ability to exercise caution in business affairs, and I admire him for it. We have a form letter on file which basically says, "What you're doing is unethical. Find another accountant." He doesn't drop clients out of fear of IRS reprisals, because the odds of being audited are extraordinarily slim. He does it because he has a conscience

"a working-class hero is something to be.."(John Lennon)
awesome boss, he's a hero in my book! and a great role model!

Glendaleigh

Unread postby Glendaleigh » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:56 pm

Yay for moms! I bill myself as a career mom. My sons are 25 and 27 and my daughter is 10 (yes, it's an interesting story and I share it whenever asked!). They are my life achievement, no matter what else I do. Being Mom sure doesn't stop when the kid hits 18, moves out or whatever! I'm the office manager for a library literacy program. My office skills are the least of my duties. We all do confessor, counsellor, cheerleader, advisor, and on and on. Our students are all over the spectrum, too, but our main population comes from the drug court referrals. We are living proof of the connections between lack of reading skills/education and crime. It breaks our hearts. We do what we can and we love our success stories, but they're still the minority. Without a strong network of support, most of our students slip back into their old ways.

But, at home and at work, my Mom skills are my most important skills and I comfort myself that my job, while fairly low-level, touches people and sometimes we make a difference.

Chocolat

Unread postby Chocolat » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:01 pm

Again, everyone has stated their views beautifully and I really don't have much more to add other than, take pride in the work we do. It reminds me of when my grammar school teachers would tell us about homework, or any kind of work for that matter. If you are going to take precious time to do it, then do it well. The satisfaction of that accomplishment is worth it for it sets a standard for other areas in our lives. This positive attitude toward work brings with it the ability to make correct choices, taking heed of the sinister or negativity that confront us now and then out of fear or jealousies. With this virtuous attitude, we can accept any challenges head on with confidence and pride and be open to the abundance that the Universe has in store for us.

~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:08 pm

I am struck by the truth and wisdom in the stanza. I always loved my job and poured everything I was and had into it, while at the same time, declaring, "I am not what I do". But when I started to give my work less time and and treated it as just a job, my self-esteem went right down. The fact is that my job gives me a real sense of identity and achievement, because I give it a lot and take pride in it. At times when I have been unable to work through ill-health, I have lost those things. But I still have to get the balance right. A person has to be fed by a whole variety of experiences and situations.
I also relate to the second part. I have had to wake up and take charge of my financial affairs, because I was far too lax and inattentive with them. Then I realised how I was being ripped off. The other day, a loan company phoned and offered me a loan and I asked far more searching questions than I would have done in the past. Now I make much more informed decisions. So it is a question of being aware, even wary, without being cynical. Somebody once said something like, a cynic is someone who knows the price of everything, but not its value. The trick is maybe in knowing both. I don't think I would like to be a person who always thinks about the price of something, though.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:47 pm

Glendaleigh wrote:I bill myself as a career mom. My sons are 25 and 27 and my daughter is 10 (yes, it's an interesting story and I share it whenever asked!).

I'm asking, Glendaleigh. I'm very interested, so please share.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:03 pm

I think this stanza is about trust, trusting yourself and trusting others, but at the same time being cautious and smart about it. Again…..keeping the balance.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:30 pm

I agree with everyone's sentiments about being a mom! :angel: My babies are 22 and 25 but they will always be my kids. :cloud9:

I think a bit of the sentiment in this stanza is a relfection of the time it was written as well. This was the Depression and jobs were precious and scandals were everywhere. I do believe that the thought holds true in today's world as well. We certainly still have our share of greed and scandal in the business world and there are many that wish they had jobs. I also think it is a reflection on the dignity of all people. No matter what your job may be you are contributing to the betterment of all. There are thousands of thankless but important acts of heroism that are comitted on a daily basis that are never reported or sometimes even known by those that perform them.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:27 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I think a bit of the sentiment in this stanza is a relfection of the time it was written as well. This was the Depression and jobs were precious and scandals were everywhere.

Good point, DITHOT! I hadn't thought of that.

Return to “Desiderata”