Desiderata ~ Stanza 2

by Max Ehrmann

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Desiderata ~ Stanza 2

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:30 am

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:57 am

Again, another quality passage.

I find myself trying to avoid the negativity around me, which is how I interpreted the 'loud and aggressive persons' part. It does vex my spirit to be bombarded with rantings. Even the news can be too much to take in. Wears on the soul.

I believe the part about comparing yourself to others is very relavent today too. That is such a problem I see with self-esteem issues, and not just among the young people. It can make you envious and angry and not appreciate what you have that is good and unique. Especially when it comes to appearance and material things.

That last line makes me remember that the journey is as important as the destination. In the time of your life....LIVE.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:30 am

The first line in the first stanza helps you if you find yourself in a temporary situation described in the first line in the second stanza!!! Yes, loud and aggressive people really are hard to be around for any length of time and can do major damage to your physical health too.

The second line reminds me to be content with your lot in life, but that doesn't mean not to strive. I think you should always try to improve, but for the right reasons. Don't compete with the Jones's.

The last line reminds me to live in the moment, as well as make plans for the future. Appreciating what you are achieving now is important no matter how mundane your life seems. I make plans for travel in the future to compensate for the blah ordinary life I am going through at the moment, but I need to really look at and appreciate what it is I am accomplishing here and now.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:32 am

I'm thinking the "loud and aggressive persons" might represent those to which one is comparing oneself. They would be the braggerts, the conceited ones who boast of their achievements or fortunes. If you avoid them, it's not so likely that you would be comparing yourself to them.

However, KY, negativity can sure wear you down. Negativity breeds negativtiy. That is partly why I don't listen to the news much anymore.

I think the last line is about appreciating yourself for what you are and what you have, being thankful for it all and, as KY indicated, living life to the fullest now.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:35 am

Gypsylee wrote:The second line reminds me to be content with your lot in life, but that doesn't mean not to strive. I think you should always try to improve, but for the right reasons. Don't compete with the Jones's.

The last line reminds me to live in the moment, as well as make plans for the future. Appreciating what you are achieving now is important no matter how mundane your life seems. I make plans for travel in the future to compensate for the blah ordinary life I am going through at the moment, but I need to really look at and appreciate what it is I am accomplishing here and now.

I agree, Gypsylee. It's about balance.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:07 pm

I have to agree with everything that's been said. I try to avoid loud and agressive persons because they make me weary. I like peace and quiet. I agree with the comments about the news and tv in general. We tend to have the tv on as a constant backround noise and I think it's wearing on the soul. I try not to compare myself to others, be it negatively or positively, but it's human nature to do so isn't it? Enjoying your achievements is so important. We achieve so much each day just by living a life of purpose and meaning. I think we need to be happy with our daily lives as well as looking forward to what we want to accomplish in the future.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:53 pm

Good answers all around. :cool:

Loud and agressive people tend to wear me out and do not command my attention. In fact, ususally the opposite, I tend to tune them out.

Why compare yourselves to others? You will never be happy with yourself. Not that you shouldn't try to learn from others or be tolerant of others, that is how you grow and learn.

I think the last part about enjoying your achievements as well as your plans says to enjoy the journey not just the destination. Even if you don't reach a particular goal, be proud that you tried and stop to see what you may have learned along the way.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:00 pm

There is far too much aggression in the world today. Things have changed a lot in England over the past few years - in general I'd say people are louder, ruder, more demanding. Modesty and manners are no longer respected. Children I see these days might be more confident but many of them have no respect for older people and they lack self-discipline. I've worked in retail for many years - the way some customers talk to staff is appauling and inexcuseable. Politeness costs nothing, a smile, please and thank you go a long way.

My pet hate is mobile phones!!!!!!!!! I actually don't have one and I could scream when people talk loudly on them when on the bus/in restaurants etc. When I went to see "Troy" in the cinema there was a guy in front of me who took three 'phone calls!! (I know it's a long movie and Johnny isn't in it but really!!). Seriously, why do we all have to be in constant contact with oneanother? It is like people have lost the ability to absorb and benefit from silence and reflection, which is why I love this poem so much.

I used to compare myself to others a lot, one benefit I've found with growing older is that I no longer do this so much. I try to accept myself as I am these days, and and just try to be the best me I can be. I went through a cancer scare last year and I'm just glad to be alive - all the money and success in the world cannot buy the most important things in life.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:18 pm

Again I think this poem is basically about being centered or grounded in your life, so that other people cannot push you off course, by their aggressiveness, vexaciousness, possessions or accomplishments. Stay who you are, and keep your dreams your own.

It's easy to see why Johnny would love this particular poem, with the demands that are made of him on a continual basis. If he didn't stay centered, stay to his course, who knows what kinds of movies and endorsements he might have been persuaded to do. The idea of him living the 'Hollywood' life is unfathomable to me. Because he doesn't do that, because he has stayed centered in his life is one of the biggest reasons I admire him.

I think television has made it harder and harder for people not to compare themselves with others. The material wealth that practically every character on TV is portrayed as having is so unrealistic and yet it is presented as the norm. A case in point would be "Friends" - no chronically unemployed semi-adolescent is going to be living in an apartment like that and living that lifestyle in NYC unless they are independently wealthy. ( In contrast, remember the tiny apartment in 'I Love Lucy', and that was an employed semi-celebrity). I think portrayals like that tend to make people, especially young people struggling to stay their course, feel like failures in comparison.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Chocolat

Unread postby Chocolat » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:00 pm

Some noises can be extremely toxic to our nervous system and leave us feeling quite uneasy. This state of being only lays an unstable foundation to our spirit. Constant "attack" of loud, inharmonious sounds as well as disturbing visuals (ex: loud, flashy, horrible commercials) are the complete antithesis of what our mind, body, spirit connection is all about. Our bodies will respond to this imbalance in many ways, first, it will to try and extract it from the system by alerting us, making us feel tence. If we ignore that, the body will respond with minor pain, yet another signal. Finally, if our nervous system is subject to further discontent, "dis"ease is the result.
"Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit" really strikes an inner cord with me. I find it best to block any form of aggressiveness that may come my way through my own personal techniques and replacing that with peaceful thoughts, music, laughter and gentleness of others. We have strong spirits, for sure, but we must take care of each level that make up our whole being.

"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter...."
It is helpful to have others to look up to and be guides, however, the importance in achievement within ourselves is based on our own self love and connection to the Source of all Creation. When we come to understand that we are our own sources of creation or what some call the ALL GOOD, then we can truly experience fulfillment in our choices and endeavors. It is only through self indifference that we begin to equate success with wealth, beauty, popularity and the like. We all have our own special and unique talents that are our gifts to share. Find what you truly love and your talent is in that gift and share it with others. Only then there will be no need for comparison, jealousies, or bitterness.

Achievements are only part of the success ... it is the act of doing and sharing, without expectaion of reward, that is the satisfying fulfillment.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:26 pm

Jackslady wrote:There is far too much aggression in the world today. Things have changed a lot in England over the past few years - in general I'd say people are louder, ruder, more demanding. Modesty and manners are no longer respected. Children I see these days might be more confident but many of them have no respect for older people and they lack self-discipline. I've worked in retail for many years - the way some customers talk to staff is appauling and inexcuseable. Politeness costs nothing, a smile, please and thank you go a long way.

My pet hate is mobile phones!!!!!!!!! I actually don't have one and I could scream when people talk loudly on them when on the bus/in restaurants etc. When I went to see "Troy" in the cinema there was a guy in front of me who took three 'phone calls!! (I know it's a long movie and Johnny isn't in it but really!!). Seriously, why do we all have to be in constant contact with oneanother? It is like people have lost the ability to absorb and benefit from silence and reflection, which is why I love this poem so much.

I used to compare myself to others a lot, one benefit I've found with growing older is that I no longer do this so much. I try to accept myself as I am these days, and and just try to be the best me I can be. I went through a cancer scare last year and I'm just glad to be alive - all the money and success in the world cannot buy the most important things in life.

Good points all around, Jackslady--especially the last one. :ohyes:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:41 pm

Chocolat wrote: Achievements are only part of the success ... it is the act of doing and sharing, without expectaion of reward, that is the satisfying fulfillment.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow in this day and age, but ideally success should not be measured by wealth or the highest honors in academics or sports. Some might disagree with me on the last two issues. And I am guilty of getting caught up in them myself. I just feel that there is way too much competition in those areas these days. And I'll get off my :soapbox: before I get started.

deppraved

Unread postby deppraved » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:47 pm

wow, since I can't avoid these people in my professional life, (some are customers, some are co-workers) I do my best to ignore those qualities in them. I'm starting to think I should post a copy of The Desiderata on my mirror. Maybe I can help some of these vain and bitter vexations to my spirit be more beautiful on the inside, too.

es

Unread postby es » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:33 pm

strange,i myself have actually no problem with dealing with people i dont like or who have different ideas,i believe very much in anyone his own beliefs but latetly i have had difficulties with 2 people who cant deal with my attitude/ideas.
thats really tough because i dont understand why they think i have to adjust myself to them,especially the reasons they give that are not things wich i would like to change about my self.
the materialstuff also isnt important to me,but i see it with my kids,they want to belong to the group,and think that they have to wear the same clothes terefor in stead of behaving good.
what i need more on the moment is the last line,plans,i have a tendencie to just life my life slowly,its good to get a goal again,wether i adviece it or not.
greets,
es

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:35 pm

deppraved wrote:wow, since I can't avoid these people in my professional life, (some are customers, some are co-workers) I do my best to ignore those qualities in them. I'm starting to think I should post a copy of The Desiderata on my mirror. Maybe I can help some of these vain and bitter vexations to my spirit be more beautiful on the inside, too.

Maybe you should post it at work for all to see. :lol:

Return to “Desiderata”