It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Desiderata ~ Stanza 6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:27 pm 
JDZ Moderator

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:17 pm 

Jack's universe unfolded literally when he figured out how to turn the ship over to return to the proper world. Jack was able to focus on returning to the world and reclaiming his place in our universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:41 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Good catch, Glendaleigh. I hadn't thought of that. :thumbsup:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:01 pm 

I'm not sure if Jack likes the way his universe is going. He sees his way of life coming to an end. The comment he makes after seeing the dead Kraken about the world is the same size but there is just less in it, lets us know he realizes things are changing but he will miss the way it was.

He is a child of the universe, just like the trees and the stars, and not only has a right to be here but wants to stay a part forever if he can make it happen.

Whether on not it is clear to you the universe is unfolding as it should. He may be wondering where he fits in the grand plan. Will he be a grand remembrance of the past like the Kraken or is his universe yet to unfold?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:08 pm 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
I'm not sure if Jack likes the way his universe is going. He sees his way of life coming to an end. The comment he makes after seeing the dead Kraken about the world is the same size but there is just less in it, lets us know he realizes things are changing but he will miss the way it was.

He is a child of the universe, just like the trees and the stars, and not only has a right to be here but wants to stay a part forever if he can make it happen.

Whether on not it is clear to you the universe is unfolding as it should. He may be wondering where he fits in the grand plan. Will he be a grand remembrance of the past like the Kraken or is his universe yet to unfold?

Another good catch. I hadn't thought of that either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:23 pm 

This stanza totally reminds me of Jack. The last line made me think the most though. When you think something is going not the way you planned, it is unfolding as it should. This reminds me of the saying," Everything happens for a reason." :cool:

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:32 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Heather_Hanson wrote:
This stanza totally reminds me of Jack. The last line made me think the most though. When you think something is going not the way you planned, it is unfolding as it should. This reminds me of the saying," Everything happens for a reason." :cool:

Oh yes! And that would be my view on life and why I especially like this stanza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:34 pm 

Liz wrote:
Heather_Hanson wrote:

Oh yes! And that would be my view on life and why I especially like this stanza.

That's my view on life too. :cool:

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:36 pm 

It reflects the way he thinks: "Bring me that horizon." The world has no boundaries for Jack. And as for it unfolding as it should, there is method in the madness, a scheme in the film, with things unfolding as they should, and things suddenly making sense in AWE that weren't immedediately apparent in the first ones. I like the bit where he is talking to himself in the cage of the Flying Dutchman and being reminded that this was precisely the thing he was trying to avoid.
This stanza most reminds me of Jack's sadness when he sees the kraken dead. For him, it was a child of the universe too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 am 

I love the shot of Jack reflected in the kracken's eye. I think it symbolizes that very thing, suec.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:48 pm 

Good catch, DIDHOT! I didn't notice the reflection; I shall look out for it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]