The MPA - A Modern Day Hays Code? C&TCF Spoiler

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The MPA - A Modern Day Hays Code? C&TCF Spoiler

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:50 pm

Speaking of the Hays code??? :-? From John August, screenwriter for C&TCF:

The UK version for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is almost exactly the same as the US version, with the addition of some burning puppets about two-thirds of the way through, right after the lyric, “A magician and a chocolate wiz.”

“What’s the deal with those flaming puppets?” you may well ask.

Well, they were always supposed to be there. In the movie, these puppets sing the catchy-yet-annoying “Willy Wonka” song, and well, things go awry. Apparently, the US version of the teaser trailer was supposed to be identical to the UK version, but when the MPAA reviewed the trailer, they wouldn’t approve the puppets being on fire. (For whatever reason. I don’t know the details, and it’s only frustrating to speculate.)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:23 pm

How convenient! A current example of just the sort of thing we learned about in today's tidbit. It IS frustrating to speculate about why the flaming puppets couldn't appear in the trailer, given that they appear in the movie. But, ours is not to reason why (or to reason at all), ours is just to be good little kiddies and let ourselves be "protected" from all the badness (real or imagined) in the world. Oops, sorry - I'll not go there. :blush:
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:38 pm

Bix wrote:How convenient! A current example of just the sort of thing we learned about in today's tidbit. It IS frustrating to speculate about why the flaming puppets couldn't appear in the trailer, given that they appear in the movie. But, ours is not to reason why (or to reason at all), ours is just to be good little kiddies and let ourselves be "protected" from all the badness (real or imagined) in the world. Oops, sorry - I'll not go there. :blush:

Oh, go ahead Bix, go there go there! I'm right behind ya! :highfive: I can't even imagine what their reasons were!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:57 pm

Thanks, KYwoman. I knew I sensed kindred spirits here at the Zone!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:11 pm

Those puppets bear more than a passing resemblance to the "It's a Small World" puppets....

Maybe someone from Disney is on the MPAA review board....hmmm? :lol:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:35 pm

theresa wrote:Those puppets bear more than a passing resemblance to the "It's a Small World" puppets....

Maybe someone from Disney is on the MPAA review board....hmmm? :lol:

:rotflmao: Then one would think WB might want to leave it in?

Maybe they thought it was a little much for the kiddies? Who knows. Like Bix said, we will just sit back and be taken care of...or not.
:capnjack:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”