CATCF Question #16 - Decontstructing Willy

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:48 pm

KYwoman wrote: Also, many thanks to Liz and DITHOT for again putting together a wonderful discussion, and with a children's book no less. My first such discussion in this genre since elementary school! Shantaram will be a big shift (in text and volume!).

BTW, that is one scary looking leprechaun. Looks like he got into the Guinness. :cool:

Who knew we could get all this from a children's book? :-? Kudos all around. I was wondering if that leprechaun got into the Lagavullin? Or is that from Scotland. :dunce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:51 pm

Hi everyone! To my dismay, I haven't had time to participate in this discussion because I've been so busy--and the thing that's been taking all my time is teaching the hardest course I teach: literary theory! And not only has the course been keeping me busy, every time I have turned to Willy Wonka, all I see in it is the latest Freudian or deconstructionist or Marxist theory I've been teaching in class, so I've felt distinctly like the person who would crash and spoil the party were I to go on about how clearly CATCF on one level is critical of the values that capitalism promotes (greed, selfishness, alienation) but on another totally supports the capitalist myth that poor children have the same chance as rich children of becoming the capitalist owner. And don't get me started on a Freudian reading of fixation at the anal phase! This article gave me a good chuckle. Thanks Liz and DITHOT! I've been enjoying reading the discussion, but only tonight have I had the time to take a breather and participate. (We got through Deconstruction today and the dean assured me that my new contract is in the mail.)

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:36 pm

srt, good to see you around today! Sounds like you could have taken our discussion to an entirely new level :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:07 am

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:(We got through Deconstruction today and the dean assured me that my new contract is in the mail.)

Deconstruction, huh? Well at least you know your job can't be relocated to another country. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”