C&TCF Question #15: Scenes from the movie

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

C&TCF Question #15: Scenes from the movie

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:00 am

We have touched on this a bit but let's go for it in detail...

What scene(s) from the book are you most looking forward to?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:22 am

This is not my answer to the question. I'm still thinking on that.

I just want to point out that we are going over by a couple of days on our questions. It was just so hard to keep it to only 15. Our final question will be tomorrow.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:07 am

I don't think I have just one scene....

I'm looking forward to seeing Tim's version of the Chocolate Room. This is the first real glimpse of the Factory and the O-Ls. The thought of a river of chocolate...well, need I say more. And poor Augustus succumbs to his gluttony!

Another scene is Veruca in the Nut Room. Can't wait to see the squirrels in action.

Also, the final scene where Charlie learns he is given the Factory and they fly out in the glass elevator. Tim's a movie visionary and it should all look wonderful and inventive.

It should ALL be fab, even for an adult!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

es

Unread postby es » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:55 am

i really looking forward to see the scene when charlie finds his golden ticket,we all have seen freddie showing grieve,i am anxcious to see him portray happiness(almost to the point of euforie)
visualy there are so many scenes i look forward to,the bootride(that was just awfully done in the gene wildermovie)the chocaletroom the moving of the elevator oo,i can't choose one.
greetings,
es

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:38 pm

I think for me it has to be the great glass elevator scene. I want to see how Johnny handles the scene (his reactions, facial expressions, body movements, etc.) and how Tim stages it.

But I'm also looking forward to the squirrels. I can never seem to pick just one. :banghead:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Liz wrote: I can never seem to pick just one. :banghead:

That's why I can't even begin to answer this question!

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:43 pm

I'm looking forward to the square candies that look round. That part of the book just had me howling! I can imagine Johnny would have had fun with that scene.

hisneverland

Unread postby hisneverland » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:50 pm

I can't remember much about the book, but I remember in the movie when Gene Wilder was really crazy at times..can't wait to see Johnny even crazier than usual. A friend of mine said something about Willy Wonka licking the walls in the book? It's been years since I read it, but if there actually is a part in the book where he goes around licking walls, I'd love to see it! But anything particualarly crazy or out of the ordinary is always great. :cool:
Didn't I tell you, if you're gonna cheat on me, you don't cheat on my bowling night? Didn't I say that?

Bohemian

Unread postby Bohemian » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:03 pm

joni wrote:I'm looking forward to the square candies that look round. That part of the book just had me howling! I can imagine Johnny would have had fun with that scene.

Count me in on this one, followed by the nut room and the elevator!
"I feel sullied and unusual..."

"What do I want for the future? I know exactly what I want, everything: calm, peace, tranquillity, freedom, fun, happiness. If I could make all that one word, I would - a many-syllabled word."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:32 pm

Definitely the nut room, the scene where all the guests arrive and he opens the gate and welcomes them but most of all I just can't wait to be surprised by what Tim and Johnny have done with the film and the character! Oh yeah, the IMAX screening! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

hisneverland

Unread postby hisneverland » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:52 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Definitely the nut room, the scene where all the guests arrive and he opens the gate and welcomes them but most of all I just can't wait to be surprised by what Tim and Johnny have done with the film and the character! Oh yeah, the IMAX screening! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

yes, I am THRILLED about the IMAX! Today at lunch I was talking with my friend to decide whether we should take the bus down to the nearest IMAX theater for the first time we see CATCF or if we should just see it at our local theater and then go to the IMAX the next day..
Didn't I tell you, if you're gonna cheat on me, you don't cheat on my bowling night? Didn't I say that?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:58 pm

hisneverland wrote: yes, I am THRILLED about the IMAX! Today at lunch I was talking with my friend to decide whether we should take the bus down to the nearest IMAX theater for the first time we see CATCF or if we should just see it at our local theater and then go to the IMAX the next day..

I saw Polar Express in 3D at the IMAX and I can't imagine seeing it in a regular theater. I think I will see C&TCF in a normal theater first because I am afraid once I have seen the IMAX there will be no going back! :-O

I left out another scene I am looking forward to and that is the ride on the chocolate river. Like you said es, I didin't like that scene at all in the first movie version. :freaked:

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:03 pm

The website I just looked at--
http://www.bigmoviezone.com/txshows/the ... &x=22&y=15
only lists 7 theaters worldwide that are planning to show CACTF in IMAX. Do y'all know something I don't know?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:13 pm

fansmom, this is the article from movieweb.com that I read. It didn't say anything about only a few theaters but then again it doesn't say how many. It mentioned Polar Express which I think had fairly large IMAX distribution so I was going by that.

http://movieweb.com/news/news.php?id=6251

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory headed to IMAX screens
Thursday, December 16th, 2004

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: IMAX Corporation and Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the highly anticipated film reuniting Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, and produced by Brad Grey and Richard D. Zanuck, will be simultaneously released to IMAX® and conventional 35mm theatres on July 15th, 2005. The announcement follows on the heels of previous successful Warner Bros. Pictures' IMAX DMR® releases, including the record-setting holiday hit The Polar Express: An IMAX 3D Experience. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an adaptation of the best- selling Roald Dahl novel and will be digitally re- mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology. Warner Bros. Pictures will be the exclusive distributor of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to IMAX theatres worldwide.

Director Tim Burton brings his vividly imaginative style to the Roald Dahl classic about eccentric chocolatier Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp) and Charlie (Freddie Highmore), a good-hearted boy from a poor family who lives in the shadow of Wonka's extraordinary factory. Long isolated from his own family, Wonka launches a worldwide contest to select an heir to his candy empire. Five lucky children, including Charlie, draw golden tickets from Wonka chocolate bars and win a guided tour of the legendary candy-making facility that no outsider has seen in 15 years. Dazzled by one amazing sight after another, Charlie is drawn into Wonka's fantastic world. The screenplay is by John August.

"We have worked with IMAX on six projects in the past two years, and the box office performance and response from moviegoers has been consistently outstanding for each release," said Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution at Warner Bros. Pictures. "With this track record of success, we plan to continue releasing films in IMAX's format day-and-date - to capitalize on a new release window and offer audiences a uniquely immersive way to experience our blockbuster pictures. We look forward to working with IMAX on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and presenting Tim Burton's next masterpiece in IMAX's format."

"Warner Bros. Pictures was one of the first studios to realize the potential of IMAX DMR and we're thrilled to be working with them once again on such a stellar motion picture," said IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEO's Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "Millions of moviegoers around the world have enjoyed Warner Bros. Pictures' releases digitally re-mastered into The IMAX Experience, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, much like The Polar Express, is exactly the type of family event movie that has proved to be so popular in IMAX's format. We believe this spectacular film will be a terrific summer attraction and a box office draw for the IMAX theatre network."

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a magical story based on a renowned piece of literature from an imaginative filmmaker; it's an ideal IMAX release that will appeal to the diverse venues within the IMAX theatre network, as well as moviegoers of all ages," added Greg Foster, IMAX's Chairman and President of Filmed Entertainment. "The film will be a key title on our 2005 commercial release slate and we're excited to bring it to IMAX theatres."

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:52 pm

fansmom wrote:The website I just looked at--
http://www.bigmoviezone.com/txshows/the ... &x=22&y=15
only lists 7 theaters worldwide that are planning to show CACTF in IMAX. Do y'all know something I don't know?

Fansmom, apparently those are the comfirmed theaters. I just called my local IMAX in San Jose. I was told that they are hoping to get it and that the contract is in the works and that it looks hopeful. I asked when they would know, and he said late June. So I take that to mean that there is a chance that it will be in an IMAX theater near you.

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”