It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: C&TCF Question #11: Why this movie?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:26 am 

What do you think attracted Tim Burton to Dahl's story? What do you think attracted Johnny to the role?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:55 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Well, I think Johnny's attraction was the fact TB was involved and that it was something, once again, his kids would enjoy. Johnny always loves working with Tim, Tim wanted Johnny (but then again who doesn't, lol) and Johnny made sure he was available. It all worked out. Fortunately the person from the Dahl family (forgot her name) agreed JD would be good as WW.

Not sure about Tim's reasons, altho he too has a kid now and maybe wants something for his kid too. TB reportedly didn't like the original, so maybe he thought he could really do the book justice in his version of it. He got the chance and really pursued it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:14 pm 

I think it would be a wonderful role for an actor to want to do. Its fun, Its something their kids can watch & it was a famous role already. The book was not filmed exactly the way it should have been. It was changed alot so I can see why Tim wanted to do it. To make it right with his own imagination twist on Willy. Johnny & him together probably came up with a funny, twisted character that will not be forgotten. I cant wait to see it!! :bounce: :bounce:

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:47 pm 

all of the above, i also think,especially for tim the visual challence played a part,tim is very good telling a story with images and this one have some beauty.
also the twisted dark side but still good at hart would appeal to them both i think.
greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:18 pm 

Quote:
KYwoman wrote: Well, I think Johnny's attraction was the fact TB was involved and that it was something, once again, his kids would enjoy. Johnny always loves working with Tim,

Hasn't Johnny referred to Tim as his muse before? Or maybe it was the other way around? It seems to be a mutual respect, understanding and vision they have when working together. And aren't we the lucky ones in the end? :cool:
Quote:
Quote:
Veronica wrote: To make it right with his own imagination twist on Willy. Johnny & him together probably came up with a funny, twisted character that will not be forgotten. I cant wait to see it!!

Quote:
es wrote: all of the above, i also think,especially for tim the visual challence played a part,tim is very good telling a story with images and this one have some beauty.
also the twisted dark side but still good at hart would appeal to them both i think.

I think the images we have seen so far are amazing and definitely have Tim's signature all over them. I think you are both right about the dark, twisted side but still telling the story with humor would appeal to their imaginations. I think that is how Dahl meant the story to be I can't wait either! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:28 pm 

I think Tim loves the book and thought he can tell the story with his own movie, not a sequel or a remake or whatever of the old WW&TCF film. Tim's point of view is very unique and the way he tells stories by his films make the stories much more interesting. Tim already has in his mind the view, how the movie is going to look like, the actors' facial expressions, all the effects, all the special things that make the movie charming as Tim himself. He pictures everything in his head and then invites other people to his world. These are some of the reasons why I love Tim. I'm sure Johnny would say the same thing if you'd ask him. Johnny and Tim, they really match to each other. They're not weird, they're individuals. They think differently of others, and themselves mostly think the same about certain things. I don't really know what to say since I don't know what to add. What's the question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:33 pm 

Quote:
Vivi Sparrow wrote: He pictures everything in his head and then invites other people to his world.

Quote:
Johnny and Tim, they really match to each other. They're not weird, they're individuals. They think differently of others, and themselves mostly think the same about certain things. I don't really know what to say since I don't know what to add. What's the question?

Vivi, I think you have answered the question very well!
Well said :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:50 pm 

Tim Burton?
It's got a good strong narrative, which seems to be a hallmark. It's a fairy story, another point of interest for TB. It also has some pointed comments to make about society, e.g. parenting, advertising, greed, the people who want to take a child's ticket from him. In that way, it also fits well with his other work. It has the other visual world that he so excels at creating. There is also this extract from "Tim Burton":

"CHILDREN & FAMILIES: Another recurring belief: the world's view of children, and their view of the world, especially in relation to their (frequently dysfunctional) families, a topic which fascinates Burton. For him the interest of childhood is that people are not yet aware of the world, 'on an intellectual level... you're reacting to things more emtionally which ... is an interesting thing... (it's) nice to try to keep that sense of ... everything (seeming) a little strange and weird and unusual".

More than that, he seems to be drawn to characters who have strong yearnings and needs within them, which drive them. So, WW might be of interest as a person, who not only has his passion for inventing and creating (another Burton interest, I think) but who also has this need to pass on his creation to another. I think it was an itch he had to scratch, seeing one interpretation of the book and knowing how he would like it done.

Johnny would relate to the imaginative, inventive character, who always seems to be moving onto his next creation and that he would appreciate his pleasure in his work. I do think WW represents a bit of a departure for him in the sense that he is a powerful, controlling, high status person. He might have liked that. I think once TB was directing, it was a given. But also having Freddie involved. His name must have been in the frame from an early stage. But then I think of that story about his pleasure at having his daugter at Pinewood with the oompa loompas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:56 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Quote:
Vivi Sparrow wrote: He pictures everything in his head and then invites other people to his world.

Quote:
Johnny and Tim, they really match to each other. They're not weird, they're individuals. They think differently of others, and themselves mostly think the same about certain things. I don't really know what to say since I don't know what to add. What's the question?

Vivi, I think you have answered the question very well!
Well said :cool:

Thank you, DITHOT! I tried my best to express myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:38 pm 

suec wrote:
Tim Burton?
It's got a good strong narrative, which seems to be a hallmark. It's a fairy story, another point of interest for TB. It also has some pointed comments to make about society, e.g. parenting, advertising, greed, the people who want to take a child's ticket from him. In that way, it also fits well with his other work. It has the other visual world that he so excels at creating. There is also this extract from "Tim Burton":

"CHILDREN & FAMILIES: Another recurring belief: the world's view of children, and their view of the world, especially in relation to their (frequently dysfunctional) families, a topic which fascinates Burton. For him the interest of childhood is that people are not yet aware of the world, 'on an intellectual level... you're reacting to things more emtionally which ... is an interesting thing... (it's) nice to try to keep that sense of ... everything (seeming) a little strange and weird and unusual".

More than that, he seems to be drawn to characters who have strong yearnings and needs within them, which drive them. So, WW might be of interest as a person, who not only has his passion for inventing and creating (another Burton interest, I think) but who also has this need to pass on his creation to another. I think it was an itch he had to scratch, seeing one interpretation of the book and knowing how he would like it done.

Johnny would relate to the imaginative, inventive character, who always seems to be moving onto his next creation and that he would appreciate his pleasure in his work. I do think WW represents a bit of a departure for him in the sense that he is a powerful, controlling, high status person. He might have liked that. I think once TB was directing, it was a given. But also having Freddie involved. His name must have been in the frame from an early stage. But then I think of that story about his pleasure at having his daugter at Pinewood with the oompa loompas.

Wow - suec - you've got great insights for a Saturday (oops I was going to say morning - but I realized that I slept way in and its afternoon) - I agree totally and just have to ask - you're not an english teacher or majoring in lit. at college??? - doesn't matter just curious - even after my first coffee, I wouldn't have been able to string those thoughts together on a weekend :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:47 pm 

Wow. Thanks very much for the compliment! But because I'm in the UK, I posted about tea-time, well tanked up with chocolate and caffeine. Also, it's about the only time when I can string much together. I don't seem to manage much in the week. I read the Burton book a while back and something must have stuck. But looking at it again today, I found this comment by Johnny, which seems interesting. "The damaged individual dealing with the world. That is probably, at its very root, why Tim does what he does, and why I do what I do". I'm really intrigued. I wonder if this is why there's something being put in about WW's father?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:59 pm 

~ SPOILER ~

Quote:
suec wrote: I'm really intrigued. I wonder if this is why there's something being put in about WW's father?

From what I have read there will be some back story about Willy's father being a dentist. There is a picture (that I can't find right now) showing him as a young boy standing in front of a gum machine (I think) with a massive array of dental head gear on. That must be where WW gets those amazing teeth!

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:17 pm 

spoiler,big one

do you this one,ugly looking device,he,greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:02 pm 

That's the one es! Thanks for coming to the rescue... :capnjack:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Question 11.Why this movie?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:22 pm 

I think you've said it all and so eloquently.But to add a bit more.Tim has spoken before of the dysfunctionalism of families,the sense of feeling an outsider as a child,the sense of looking from the outside in and I think these themes are reflected in the book.Johnny shares the same perceptions.So you can see the attraction.Maybe for Johnny it was just an excuse to spend some paid time with a very dear friend and soul mate.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next