CATCF Question #8 - Your Favorite Thing

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:02 pm

lizbet wrote: guess the longer you are away from ONBC the punnier you get?! looks like I have a lot of reading to do to get caught up (I had to shut down while going from my old machine to a wonderful new one)

Welcome back lizbet, we shall be expecting wonderful things now from you and your wonderful new machine! ;-) I was just waiting for someone to bring up the kid in a candy store reference... :lol:

Caitlin wrote: Well, when I read this at a younger age, I always loved the part when Violet chews the gum and swells into a blueberry. I saw a cute play of this at a local theater when I was about 7 and I thought that seeing her blow up into a blueberry was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. I guess it's the little things that catch the attention of kids.

Caitlin, how did they do that in a play? I love going to see plays when I have already seen the movie or read the book and being swept away by how they take me to the same places on a stage! The imagination of the production never ceases to amaze me. I recently saw our high school production of Seussical! and it was wonderful!!! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Caitlin

Unread postby Caitlin » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:22 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Caitlin wrote: Well, when I read this at a younger age, I always loved the part when Violet chews the gum and swells into a blueberry.

Caitlin, how did they do that in a play? I love going to see plays when I have already seen the movie or read the book and being swept away by how they take me to the same places on a stage! The imagination of the production never ceases to amaze me. I recently saw our high school production of Seussical! and it was wonderful!!! :cool:

If my memory serves me correctly, the part of Violet was played by twin sisters. I remember there was a puff of smoke, and then the next thing I knew there was a girl in a huge outfit with blue facepaint on stage. I'm guessing she either came out from behind something or popped up through a trapped door, but I thought it was so cool! Only afterwards did I realize the part was played by twins when I saw them both walking out of the theater. I loved it.

They were even selling Wonka bars during intermission, and all kids that bought one got to go on stage and open them, and the 1 kid that found the ticket got to be in part of the play as an Oompa Loompa! It was sooo cool! Sadly, I was too shy to go up on stage and open a candy bar, so I waited until after the show to buy one. :blush:
"Do you like avocados?" -Sam
"Life would be a whole lot more interesting with a bunch of Willy Wonkas running around."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:26 am

Caitlin, that sounds like great fun. Twins, how clever! That is really cool how they included the kids in the audience as part of the play. Even if you didn't participate in that part it was obviously a memorable experience for you. I would love to see Charlie as a play!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:09 pm

When I purchased my CATCF book I also purchased another little book: Roald Dahl Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play adapted by Richard George. Mr George was a school teacher who had written the dramatization for his 6th grade students... he sent this to Mr Dahl who was much impressed and forwarded it to publishers.

The back part of the book has instructions for lighting and also for construction of things like the glass elevator and the chocolate river and the boat, but it doesn't tell how to make a giant blueberry girl.

In the scene where Violet turns into a blueberry, the stage instructions are to shine just blue lights on Violet. Her mother has some lines about her turning blue, everything "glows blue" from the lighting, and then as Violet backs off stage her mother says "you're swelling up." So she turns blue on stage but actually does the swelling to balloon porportions off stage

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:54 am

axelsgirl wrote:First of all I loved the squirrels, I can't wait to see that in the movie. Who would of thought they could teach so many squirrels to sit still and do what they were trained to do.
:eyebrow: This just cracks me up! Squirrel wranglers!
:cool:

Some years ago (probably many, (if the truth be told and I could remember) there was an advert on TV that used squirrels. They had to overcome an obstacle course to get their nuts. I have absolutely no idea what was being advertised, but the squirrels were astounding. We couldn't believe it. But they were so determined and - well - intelligent, really - about getting what they wanted. I am looking forward to seeing them in the film.
I also liked the way it was written, just begging to be read aloud to a child at bedtime. I found myself wanting to do exactly that with my nephew, and probably will.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:02 am

suec wrote:
axelsgirl wrote:First of all I loved the squirrels, I can't wait to see that in the movie. Who would of thought they could teach so many squirrels to sit still and do what they were trained to do.

Some years ago (probably many, (if the truth be told and I could remember) there was an advert on TV that used squirrels. They had to overcome an obstacle course to get their nuts. I have absolutely no idea what was being advertised, but the squirrels were astounding. We couldn't believe it. But they were so determined and - well - intelligent, really - about getting what they wanted. I am looking forward to seeing them in the film.
I also liked the way it was written, just begging to be read aloud to a child at bedtime. I found myself wanting to do exactly that with my nephew, and probably will.

my guess is that they didnt use as many squirls as it looks like. they filmed so many and then put the shots together. At least thats my opinon.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:21 am

I remember reading an article here on the Zone, can't remember which one now :dunce: , but basically the gist of it was that Tim wanted to use real actors, sets, squirrels, etc, as possible and minimal CGI. I think that is going to add a lot to the visuals of the film.

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:22 pm

Veronica wrote:
suec wrote:

my guess is that they didnt use as many squirls as it looks like. they filmed so many and then put the shots together. At least thats my opinon.

Noooo! You mean they do it all with tricks?? Well, that is bad news and no mistake. :lol:
Seriously, I do hope it is minimal CGI. I've got to have some sense of wonder. :-O
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”