by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

CATCF Question #7 - The Original Movie

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:16 am

Ooops! Wrong Willy.

That's Better.

In The Pied Pipers Interview Dahl says of director, Mel Stewart, director of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, “Oh, what a mess that man made of Charlie!” Those of you who have seen the movie, what do you think?

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:28 am

I wouldnt describe it as a mess. Its a cute film & I loved as a child. I think it was the era of why they didnt make Willy as dark of a character. What they did do was considered scary at times. I think that Genes version of Willy is dark but when they made it a muscial changed on how you felt. He was abosolutely insane. they did change the story alot. they didnt give Charlie a father in that movie. I dont know why they would do that. the squirl part was replaced with Geese. I figured it was because it was too costly to make fake squirls or have live ones. there were more changes but cant think of them at the moment. Can anyone else think of what was different in the old movie from the book.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

es

Unread postby es » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:36 am

well, i liked the movie on its own,at that time i dint read the book so its a bit hard to compaire(since i havent seen the movie in ages and the book recently)
didnt they make up a whole new plotline about slugworth asking the kids for a recipie?also i think charly did a bad thing in the movie,i believe something with the stuff you had the burb before you could go down.
like veronica i couldnt understand why they let charlys parents out of the story.
al in al i tought it was a sweet movie specially for that time but a different tone to it,greetings,
es

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:44 am

Veronica wrote:I wouldnt describe it as a mess. Its a cute film & I loved as a child. I think it was the era of why they didnt make Willy as dark of a character. What they did do was considered scary at times. I think that Genes version of Willy is dark but when they made it a muscial changed on how you felt. He was abosolutely insane. they did change the story alot. they didnt give Charlie a father in that movie. I dont know why they would do that. the squirl part was replaced with Geese. I figured it was because it was too costly to make fake squirls or have live ones. there were more changes but cant think of them at the moment. Can anyone else think of what was different in the old movie from the book.

I can't because I've never seen the movie and don't plan to until after I see the Burton version. I have friends, though, who've indicated that the movie scared them--the kind of movie that gives you nightmares afterward.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:51 pm

es wrote:well, i liked the movie on its own,at that time i dint read the book so its a bit hard to compaire(since i havent seen the movie in ages and the book recently)
didnt they make up a whole new plotline about slugworth asking the kids for a recipie?also i think charly did a bad thing in the movie,i believe something with the stuff you had the burb before you could go down.
like veronica i couldnt understand why they let charlys parents out of the story.
al in al i tought it was a sweet movie specially for that time but a different tone to it,greetings,
es

they have you believeing it was Slugworth but it was Willy testing the kids.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:17 pm

As es said, in the movie, Charlie does a bad thing--just like the other kids, he disobeys WW's instructions, but unlike them, he doesn't suffer any consequences.

The book says it's a morality tale. If Charlie breaks the rules and gets away with it without a good reason, it's not a morality tale. That seems like a pretty fundamental difference to me.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:11 pm

I can't remember the movie that well. I did think Gene Wilder seemed a little dangerous in an insane kind of way. And I remember trhinking the whole thing was rather pointless, maybe for the reason that es and fansmom pointed out.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

es

Unread postby es » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:13 pm

Veronica wrote:
es wrote:well, i liked the movie on its own,at that time i dint read the book so its a bit hard to compaire(since i havent seen the movie in ages and the book recently)
es

they have you believeing it was Slugworth but it was Willy testing the kids.

really?i totally forgot that part,a well it was a long time ago,thanks for telling me!
greets,
es

axelsgirl

Unread postby axelsgirl » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:01 pm

The first movie seemed kind of light and silly to me. As it should be for kids, I guess. Gene Wilder was deffinatly weird in a dark way, he seemed to be encourging the kids to do wrong by telling them "Oh, no, stop" in a very unconvincing way. I remember how he would open his eyes real wide and it just made him look wacko!
As for the story line it was changed from the book , too. Didn"t Dahl have a say into what went into the screen play? :-?
"Yeah, well, let's keep on truckin'!"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:34 pm

fansmom wrote: As es said, in the movie, Charlie does a bad thing--just like the other kids, he disobeys WW's instructions, but unlike them, he doesn't suffer any consequences.

Could that be what Dahl meant when he said the really messed up Charlie?

I saw Willy Wonka many years ago as an adult and I thought it was VERY creepy. That boat ride... :freaked: Adults I talk to now that saw it as children loved it so there is must be a difference in perception based on your age. From what we have seen, I like Tim's sets better and I have to say I am glad it won't be a musical. :yuck2:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:38 pm

lumineuse wrote:I can't remember the movie that well. I did think Gene Wilder seemed a little dangerous in an insane kind of way. And I remember trhinking the whole thing was rather pointless, maybe for the reason that es and fansmom pointed out.

the test was whether they would sell out to slugworth. thats why charlie still won at the end

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:42 pm

Veronica wrote:
lumineuse wrote:I can't remember the movie that well. I did think Gene Wilder seemed a little dangerous in an insane kind of way. And I remember trhinking the whole thing was rather pointless, maybe for the reason that es and fansmom pointed out.

the test was whether they would sell out to slugworth. thats why charlie still won at the end

Could be! It's been a long time since I saw that movie. I don't want to watch it again now, until After I've seen CATCF.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

deppraved

Unread postby deppraved » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:00 pm

I want to comment but have never actually sat down and watched the whole movie. I was a little bored with the bits I have seen, and wasn't crazy about it or the music. I have no idea why. Too corny maybe?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:12 pm

deppraved wrote: wasn't crazy about it or the music. I have no idea why. Too corny maybe?

It was corny and creepy and sometimes that works but the mix wasn't right for me. It seemed to go too far one way and then too far the other. I did think Gene Wilder did a good job though. I think this Willy Wonka character will be completely different, but we would expct no less!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Caitlin

Unread postby Caitlin » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:20 pm

fansmom wrote:As es said, in the movie, Charlie does a bad thing--just like the other kids, he disobeys WW's instructions, but unlike them, he doesn't suffer any consequences.

The book says it's a morality tale. If Charlie breaks the rules and gets away with it without a good reason, it's not a morality tale. That seems like a pretty fundamental difference to me.

Why would they change the movie to make him break the rules though? Is it trying to send out obligatory messages to children to always be good, don't listen to strangers, don't lie, don't steal, don't cheat, etc.? After reading the book again, I don't understand why they had to change it in the screenplay. I thought it taught kids a good enough lesson.
Could the change be echoing something that was going on during that time that the movie was made, or am I just searching for patterns that don't exist?
"Do you like avocados?" -Sam
"Life would be a whole lot more interesting with a bunch of Willy Wonkas running around."

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”