CATCF Question #7 - The Original Movie

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

gilly

question 7 the original movie

Unread postby gilly » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:03 am

Hi ,I hope this works.I'm new!I found the original movie quite different from the book in it's overall tone.To turn the book into a musical seemed an antiquated idea,even for that time.I enjoyed seeing a version of a great story on the screen,but even then,realised it was only a version..I have read a couple of biogs of Dahl and he was a very controlling person,of his wife,family and his career and totally resented any control being taken from him.He was very much into self-glorification and the autocratic nature of WW seems true to Dahl's character.I am so looking forward to CATCF-trailers are already playing in some Aussie cinemas-at least in the foyers.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: question 7 the original movie

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:41 am

gilly wrote:Hi ,I hope this works.I'm new!I found the original movie quite different from the book in it's overall tone.To turn the book into a musical seemed an antiquated idea,even for that time.I enjoyed seeing a version of a great story on the screen,but even then,realised it was only a version..I have read a couple of biogs of Dahl and he was a very controlling person,of his wife,family and his career and totally resented any control being taken from him.He was very much into self-glorification and the autocratic nature of WW seems true to Dahl's character.I am so looking forward to CATCF-trailers are already playing in some Aussie cinemas-at least in the foyers.

Welcome to ONBC, Gilly. Not having seen the movie myself, I'm only going by what I've heard and read, but I'm with you that it appears it's an overall tone that is different from the book. And I have heard that Tim Burton has kept with the original tone of the book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:48 am

Caitlin wrote:Why would they change the movie to make him break the rules though? Is it trying to send out obligatory messages to children to always be good, don't listen to strangers, don't lie, don't steal, don't cheat, etc.? After reading the book again, I don't understand why they had to change it in the screenplay. I thought it taught kids a good enough lesson.
Could the change be echoing something that was going on during that time that the movie was made, or am I just searching for patterns that don't exist?

Caitlin, information on this issue is forthcoming in a question further down the road.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Caitlin

Unread postby Caitlin » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:51 am

Liz wrote:
Caitlin wrote:Why would they change the movie to make him break the rules though? Is it trying to send out obligatory messages to children to always be good, don't listen to strangers, don't lie, don't steal, don't cheat, etc.? After reading the book again, I don't understand why they had to change it in the screenplay. I thought it taught kids a good enough lesson.
Could the change be echoing something that was going on during that time that the movie was made, or am I just searching for patterns that don't exist?

Caitlin, information on this issue is forthcoming in a question further down the road.

Ok, cool! Thank you. I'm sorry for getting ahead, but am so excited to hear what people have to think. Great discussion by the way, I enjoy reading everyone's ideas!
"Do you like avocados?" -Sam
"Life would be a whole lot more interesting with a bunch of Willy Wonkas running around."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:55 am

Caitlin wrote:
Liz wrote:Ok, cool! Thank you. I'm sorry for getting ahead, but am so excited to hear what people have to think. Great discussion by the way, I enjoy reading everyone's ideas!

Don't be sorry. We've been on the brink of it all day. Glad you are enjoying the discussion.

gilly

Question 7.The Original Movie

Unread postby gilly » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:35 am

Thank you Liz for your kind welcome.I look forward to being a part of this board,full of intelligent,insightful and funny women!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:52 pm

I rented the movie recently and saw it for the first time. I love Gene Wilder, but somehow I felt the whole tone of the story was different in the movie from the book. I took the DVD back to the rental place because I had run out of time, but I do want to get it again and listen to the commentaries and extras which I think will help me understand why they did some of the things they did.

It was interesting to see how the fantasy world was visually created for the screen -- I am sure with all the CG effects and things available today, the factory scenery will be even more fantastic.

I thought I saw in the credits that Dahl himself wrote the screenplay. But then, once the screenplay is finished I am sure the director can change a lot of things. Which is why somebody like Burton has a reputation for making especially good movies, he puts his own stamp on it even after the screen play is written.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:02 pm

nebraska wrote: I thought I saw in the credits that Dahl himself wrote the screenplay. But then, once the screenplay is finished I am sure the director can change a lot of things. Which is why somebody like Burton has a reputation for making especially good movies, he puts his own stamp on it even after the screen play is written.

Nebraska, this quote was taken from an interview that Dahl gave Twilight Zone magazine. He has mentioned that he got into writing screenplays for the money. At the time, he had huge medical bills because of his son's head injury and his wife's stroke. You are right in your assessment of what happened after he wrote the script, according to Dahl:

TZ: But you have written film scripts before.

Dahl: I used to do it for money, yes. Because it is a lot of money. And it's such a beastly job, that no one would ever write film scripts except for money. Or unless you wanted to defend your own property. And even then you can't, because they get hold of it and do what they like. I did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; I thought I was defending it, but in the end they buggered it up.

TZ: They changed your script?

Dahl: Yes. Here you have a best-selling book, an enduring book, and they bugger the film up. Well, there's no excuse for that–it's just bad film-making. I hate film directors. The only nice experience I had was doing a James Bond film, You Only Live Twice. I liked that. It was a nice director, and they left you alone, and they followed the script. It was lovely. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was ghastly. Once you get a rotten director, or an egocentric director, you're dead. But they pay a lot, so you take the money and run.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:09 pm

CATCF was always my favourite book and I remember that, even as a child, I was disappointed with the film - to me they were two completely different worlds. The atmosphere was just not recreated in the film (maybe that was intentional, I don't know). I'm depending on Tim to recreate Dahl's atmosphere and I'm positive he won't let me down!
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:14 pm

CATCF was always my favourite book and I remember that, even as a child, I was disappointed with the film - to me they were two completely different worlds. The atmosphere was just not recreated in the film (maybe that was intentional, I don't know). I'm depending on Tim to recreate Dahl's atmosphere and I'm positive he won't let me down!

Welcome to ONBC, Peachy! :wave: I saw the movie as an adult and had not read the book so I couldn't really make any comparisons until now. From what we have seen in the trailer I think Tim's version will come much closer to capturing the original intent of Dahl. Now we just have to wait impatiently until July to find out!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks for the welcome, DepInTheHeartofTexas.
CATCF is really a great book - and it's amazing that it was my favourite book as a child because it was given to me straight after a particularly painful visit to the dentist, and you know how you tend to get bad vibes from things that you associate with an unpleasant experience? Well CATCF survived that and I still love it (and got a real kick out of reading it aloud to my daughter).
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”