CATCF Question #4 - Competition

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:12 pm

luvdepp wrote:I don't know if it's the competitiveness he's commenting on or the fact that no one seems to want to take the time to be original and come up with new ideas. We seem to just recycle old ideas that worked the first time around. Be it TV shows, music, movies, fashion. I'm glad there are people like Tim Burton and Johnny around who are willing to take risks and try something different. Yes, they are taking a movie that's been done before, but they aren't trying to re-make it, they're going for something completely different than the original, more like what Dahl had in mind hopefully. :cool:

I recently watched the Gene Wilder Wonka movie for my first time. I thought the opening credits said that Dahl had written the screenplay for that movie. Am I wrong on that score? I was just amazed at that possibility because I keep hearing that the new movie will be more true to the book....

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:19 pm

nebraska wrote:
luvdepp wrote:I don't know if it's the competitiveness he's commenting on or the fact that no one seems to want to take the time to be original and come up with new ideas. We seem to just recycle old ideas that worked the first time around. Be it TV shows, music, movies, fashion. I'm glad there are people like Tim Burton and Johnny around who are willing to take risks and try something different. Yes, they are taking a movie that's been done before, but they aren't trying to re-make it, they're going for something completely different than the original, more like what Dahl had in mind hopefully. :cool:

I recently watched the Gene Wilder Wonka movie for my first time. I thought the opening credits said that Dahl had written the screenplay for that movie. Am I wrong on that score? I was just amazed at that possibility because I keep hearing that the new movie will be more true to the book....

If he did then he changed it on purpose. maybe changed it because at that time they couldnt make it because of lack of technology. the squirl scene was geese instead. There were some other difference as well. Like in the old movie Charlies father was dead & his mother worked outside the home. It wasnt winter time & he found the ticket in a sewer drain. I know there were more.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:09 am

Veronica wrote:
nebraska wrote:

If he did then he changed it on purpose. maybe changed it because at that time they couldnt make it because of lack of technology. the squirl scene was geese instead. There were some other difference as well. Like in the old movie Charlies father was dead & his mother worked outside the home. It wasnt winter time & he found the ticket in a sewer drain. I know there were more.

This is what he said about it in the Twilight Zone Magazine Interview:

TZ: But you have written film scripts before.

Dahl: I used to do it for money, yes. Because it is a lot of money. And it's such a beastly job, that no one would ever write film scripts except for money. Or unless you wanted to defend your own property. And even then you can't, because they get hold of it and do what they like. I did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; I thought I was defending it, but in the end they buggered it up.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

deppraved

Unread postby deppraved » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:02 am

Absolutely, no question or doubt about it. The whole frenzy of buying up the candy bars to get the tickets was reminiscent of some of the toy crazes in the recent past, and this was written long before all of that! Prophetic, no?

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:16 pm

deppraved wrote:Absolutely, no question or doubt about it. The whole frenzy of buying up the candy bars to get the tickets was reminiscent of some of the toy crazes in the recent past, and this was written long before all of that! Prophetic, no?

Prophetic, but also observant. There were near-riots for things like stockings and bananas in the UK with rationing both during and after WWII. He'd undoubtedly seen both the buying frenzies and the black-market selling.

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”