CATCF Question #2 - Johnny as Willy?

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

CATCF Question #2 - Johnny as Willy?

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:22 am

“I can see Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka”, a friend of mine shared at our last hometown book club meeting. I thought she was being sarcastic at first, but she was being serious. From what we can see on the trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/charlieandthechocolatefactory.html) what do you think of Johnny’s appearance and mannerisms compared to your expectations after reading the book?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:47 am

Well, I have to admit I wasn't sure about our JD as the venerable WW (now, don't throw tomatoes), mainly because Johnny looks soooo young and I always picture WW as an older man. Johnny looks like a kid himself, too young to play someone who is thinking of retiring and giving the factory to someone. Because of this JD looks different than the illustrations of WW in the book. This may throw some people off who are big fans of the book version. I won't be disappointed however, because I'm more of a fan of JD and TB than the book itself and I look forward to seeing Johnny's take on the very popular character.

Now, with that said, I had absolutely NO doubt his talent would carry him forward and he would do an excellent job as WW. The quirkier the better actually. From what I see with the trailer I think he adds a bit of creepiness to the part that is just hilarious and makes me look forward to seeing the movie. He still looks young, but I can overlook that given the other Wonka characteristics that seem to be coming out so well. Of course Tim's costumes and set just enhance Johnny's performance, and vice versa I might add.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

es

Unread postby es » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:09 am

the first thing i missed was the little beard(goatee,i think is the proper word?)and the wild hear,it is great descripted in the book so i am still curious why mr burton changed that.
for the rest i think its really funny,he does silly,strange looks,the things you expecced from mr wonka.(altough we are offcourse here a bit ,shoot dont know the english word,well we al are fans so will be easier to accept him as mr. wonka,do i make myself a bit clear?)
greetings,
es

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:47 pm

KYwoman wrote: Johnny looks soooo young and I always picture WW as an older man.

That's interesting. For some reason I see Willy not as an older man but a middle aged man, don't know why. Johnny does look younger than I suppose I expected but he ususally does!

KYwoman wrote: Now, with that said, I had absolutely NO doubt his talent would carry him forward and he would do an excellent job as WW. The quirkier the better actually. From what I see with the trailer I think he adds a bit of creepiness to the part that is just hilarious and makes me look forward to seeing the movie. He still looks young, but I can overlook that given the other Wonka characteristics that seem to be coming out so well. Of course Tim's costumes and set just enhance Johnny's performance, and vice versa I might add.

I thought the story was creepy and a bit dark when I read it and I saw Willy Wonka as someone who is sort of creepily cheerful if that makes sense. I can definitely see that in the trailer! The teeth! :-O It looks like Tim and Johnny have hit it right on the head...again! :cool:

es wrote: the first thing i missed was the little beard(goatee,i think is the proper word?)and the wild hear,it is great descripted in the book so i am still curious why mr burton changed that.
for the rest i think its really funny,he does silly,strange looks,the things you expecced from mr wonka.(altough we are offcourse here a bit ,shoot dont know the english word,well we al are fans so will be easier to accept him as mr. wonka,do i make myself a bit clear?)
greetings,
es

You make yourself perfectly clear, es! The look is different but I think it separates this character from the way Willy was portrayed by Gene Wilder too. I love the facial expressions we have seen so far, very funny. Maybe we will get some insight into the character and Johnny's inspirations for him as we get closer to the release date. I can't wait to hear what they were! I think someone suggested Carol Channing? Too perfect.... :rotflmao:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:57 pm

In the book Dahl speaks of Wonka's "birdlike movements". Now I think this is the way JD will suit the role...he is very good at the kind of quick and impatient, slightly tetchy attitude. I'm thinking a little about how he was as Ichabod, hurrying people along when he was trying to be scientific. The turn of his head and the sideways glance. So I think it's more about how he creates the feel of the character rather than the look.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:21 pm

when reading the book I had Johnny in my mind the whole time because I had seen the trailer first. I could here his funny voice he created saying the lines in the book. I thought I read somewhere that Marlyn Manson was also an ingredient to this character. My daughter watched the trailer & said he looks like him. I said I think he was apart of the creation along with Carol Channing. If you look at Carol channing Johnnys smile looks just like hers. Along with Tim Burtons take on this character I think his version will be different than described in the book. tims Burton work is always a little "offbeat". I definately saw a darker character in the book than the Gene Wilder version. I watched the movie after reading this book. Gene had some quirkiness & liked to scare them but the singing part softened the character. Im sure this movie will be a blast to watch to see our guy up there knowing how he really looks and acts will be hilarious to watch.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Bohemian

Unread postby Bohemian » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:58 pm

Visually, I expected JD's Wonka to have the pointy beard. After all, he seems to like that look. Perhaps they thought it might be too close to Captain Jack, and it really wouldn't go with the Prince Valliant hair, now would it? It might also detract from the 'electric' smile :grin: Bottle green pants might have been fun, especially since Wilder's Wonka wore beige. Then again, the black vest and pants under the plum frock coat are VERY nice.

I first read the book before we had any idea what JD's Wonka looked or sounded like. Now I am reading it again with the trailer in mind and having a blast visualizing JD in the role. As Endora said, we've seen attitude and mannerisms in Ichabod that will serve him well here. Thow in a bit of Ed Wood's enthusiasm (and grin) and there you have it. I can't wait!
"I feel sullied and unusual..."

"What do I want for the future? I know exactly what I want, everything: calm, peace, tranquillity, freedom, fun, happiness. If I could make all that one word, I would - a many-syllabled word."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:04 pm

I never saw Gene Wilder's version of Willy Wonka. And I don't plan to watch it until after I see Johnny's version. So I am comparing only Johnny in the trailer to the book. I read the book before I saw the trailer and I think I was imagining the same mannerisms as I was reading as those in the trailer. However, Johnny's look is not what I expected. I don't get the hair. I'm hoping I get over that part. But there is no doubt in my mind that Johnny will pull off the part. He never disappoints me. From watching the trailer, I find Johnny to be very creepy, which is fitting, considering I find Willy Wonka to be rather creepy.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:14 pm

Veronica wrote:when reading the book I had Johnny in my mind the whole time because I had seen the trailer first. I could here his funny voice he created saying the lines in the book. I thought I read somewhere that Marlyn Manson was also an ingredient to this character. My daughter watched the trailer & said he looks like him. I said I think he was apart of the creation along with Carol Channing. If you look at Carol channing Johnnys smile looks just like hers. Along with Tim Burtons take on this character I think his version will be different than described in the book. tims Burton work is always a little "offbeat". I definately saw a darker character in the book than the Gene Wilder version. I watched the movie after reading this book. Gene had some quirkiness & liked to scare them but the singing part softened the character. Im sure this movie will be a blast to watch to see our guy up there knowing how he really looks and acts will be hilarious to watch.

Someone on the Zone suggested that he also was inspired by Gene Rayburn.

Image ImageImage

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:16 pm

Liz, can you give a quick note about who Rayburn was/is?
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:26 pm

Endora wrote:Liz, can you give a quick note about who Rayburn was/is?

Sure thing, Endora.

Gene Rayburn was a famous game show host. He is mostly famous for the Match Game. But I think he hosted Hollywood Squares for a bit too.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:56 pm

Liz wrote:
Endora wrote:Liz, can you give a quick note about who Rayburn was/is?

Sure thing, Endora.

Gene Rayburn was a famous game show host. He is mostly famous for the Match Game. But I think he hosted Hollywood Squares for a bit too.

Didnt Johnny say he was afraid of a certain game show host once. I can picture his face but cant think of his name. It was on Bravo prolfiles I think or E Hollywood Story. Anyone remember that?

axelsgirl

Unread postby axelsgirl » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:28 pm

Veronica, are you thinking of John Davidson? He was the talk show host in ES.
Johnny definitly has the Gene Rayburn and Carol Channing smile down!
I was wondering about the beard also, but he has to make it his own character , maybe this was one of the things that defined it for him.
Gene Wilder , in my opinion was kinda creepy, too. That is how the character is written in the book.
axelsgirl
"Yeah, well, let's keep on truckin'!"

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:30 pm

axelsgirl wrote:Veronica, are you thinking of John Davidson? He was the talk show host in ES.
Johnny definitly has the Gene Rayburn and Carol Channing smile down!
I was wondering about the beard also, but he has to make it his own character , maybe this was one of the things that defined it for him.
Gene Wilder , in my opinion was kinda creepy, too. That is how the character is written in the book.
axelsgirl

Oh thats right he was in that film. lololol too funny. I wonder why the man scared him.

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:34 pm

I found it easy to imagine Johnny in the role, possibly because I have only just read the book for the first time and I haven't seen the other film. I didn't really have the trailer in mind when I read it, either.
The age thing didn't concern me because I see WW as very young at heart in some ways, with his enthusiasm and excitement, and I could see Johnny like that. I like the point made about Ichabod Crane too - that would work. I also liked the description of the way WW giggles and thought of Johnny there too. There are definitely moments when I can see and hear Johnny acting the part, such as those ambiguous moments, especially, when there is something beneath the surface or when WW acts surprised. Johnny will do that brilliantly.
At the moment, what I imagine doesn't match with the trailer, really. But that's OK. One thing is for sure: Tim Burton and Johnny have better imaginations than I do!
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”