CATCF Question #2 - Johnny as Willy?

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:57 pm

SueC wrote: One thing is for sure: Tim Burton and Johnny have better imaginations than I do!

Same here SueC, and I am so glad they get together periodically to let us experience the results! :cloud9:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:13 pm

nebraska's chronology:
See the Johnny trailer
Read the book
See the Wilder movie
Read the play (still in progress)

so yes, having seen the Johnny trailer first, I saw him as Willy all the way. Even after looking at the illustrations!

I had not seen the Gene Wilder version until a couple of days ago -- don't know why, Young Frankenstein is one of my all time favorite movies and I love Wilder -- just never got around to it. I didn't want to see it until after I read the book first -- what the heck was the boat sequence about in the movie? :banghead: Big shudder!

One of the biggest surprises to me in the Wilder version was that Dahl wrote the screenplay. I saw so many obvious discrepancies from the book. I have heard that Burton stayed closer to the book's storyline. I hope that is true, the book is wonderful!

I can't wait for the movie. Burton and Depp are a fabulous team and they have great material to work with here! And Johnny excels at anything he does. I think his Wonka will be perfect!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:29 pm

KYwoman wrote:Because of this JD looks different than the illustrations of WW in the book. This may throw some people off who are big fans of the book version.

What illustrations are you looking at, KYwoman? (Or anyone else, for that matter.) My library has two editions: one with illustrations by Quentin Blake, and the other by Joseph Schindelman, and the illustrations are quite different.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:34 am

fansmom wrote:
KYwoman wrote:Because of this JD looks different than the illustrations of WW in the book. This may throw some people off who are big fans of the book version.

What illustrations are you looking at, KYwoman? (Or anyone else, for that matter.) My library has two editions: one with illustrations by Quentin Blake, and the other by Joseph Schindelman, and the illustrations are quite different.

My version has the Quentin Blake illustrations. I have not seen the Schindelman version. So to me, Johnny doesn't look a thing like the illustrations. But then Johnny rarely looks the part (i.e. Ichabod & Barrie). It's his acting that carries him through.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

axelsgirl

Unread postby axelsgirl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:39 am

Veronica wrote:
axelsgirl wrote:Veronica, are you thinking of John Davidson? He was the talk show host in ES.
Johnny definitly has the Gene Rayburn and Carol Channing smile down!
I was wondering about the beard also, but he has to make it his own character , maybe this was one of the things that defined it for him.
Gene Wilder , in my opinion was kinda creepy, too. That is how the character is written in the book.
axelsgirl

Oh thats right he was in that film. lololol too funny. I wonder why the man scared him.

I remember reading an article about JD's fears as a child, he said it was the hair and smile that was unsettling and something about John Davidson having a perm. :eyebrow:
"Yeah, well, let's keep on truckin'!"

es

Unread postby es » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:09 am

fansmom,i think we al have the quentin blake illistration in mind,here is his willy wonla,
greetinga,
es

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am

es wrote:fansmom,i think we al have the quentin blake illistration in mind,here is his willy wonla,
greetinga,
es

Yes fansmom, this is the version I have as well, the ones from Quentin Blake.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:05 am

KYwoman wrote:
es wrote:fansmom,i think we al have the quentin blake illistration in mind,here is his willy wonla,
greetinga,
es

I don't think any other version exists over here. QB has illustrated all the Dahl books.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:58 am

Endora wrote:
KYwoman wrote:
greetinga,
es

I don't think any other version exists over here. QB has illustrated all the Dahl books.

Certainly the present ones but what about the originals did quentin do them too.
I haven't read the book but did look at the ilustrations as production started just to get an inkling of what he might be like and to read the description in the book so I was expecting him to be different.

es

Unread postby es » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:15 am

this is from joseph schindelman,couldnt find a better pic,or a pic of willy wonka,but you will see at least his style,
greetings,
es

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:03 am

I've still got 40 pages of Charlie to read, and I'm leaving town Saturday, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I've been noticing all the times in the book that Willy is jumping up and down, hopping and skipping about madly and excitedly, dancing around wildly, sliding down bannisters, and I hope we get to see Johnny perform Willy's physical gestures as they are written in the book. I can't wait to see Johnny's Willy ;-)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:46 am

es wrote:this is from joseph schindelman,couldnt find a better pic,or a pic of willy wonka,but you will see at least his style,
greetings,
es

ES, do you know when this was published?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

es

Unread postby es » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:52 am

no sorry,i just googled joseph s name to see how his illustrations lookt,greets,
es

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:37 pm

Liz wrote:
es wrote:this is from joseph schindelman,couldnt find a better pic,or a pic of willy wonka,but you will see at least his style,
Imagegreetings,es

1973. The illustrations are b/w, and very finely shaded--quite different from QB's cartoon style. Willy looks a little more eccentric, and not as benign.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:04 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:
Imagegreetings,es

1973. The illustrations are b/w, and very finely shaded--quite different from QB's cartoon style. Willy looks a little more eccentric, and not as benign.

Is this the copy you read, Fansmom?

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”