C&TCF Tidbit #25: Dahlmania Hits Hollywood

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

C&TCF Tidbit #25: Dahlmania Hits Hollywood

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:04 pm

This information is a combination of information from three different articles, the sources are listed below.

Hollywood is rediscovering the quirky and mischievous stories of Roald Dahl, 15 years after his death, with a sudden rush of prominent directors, along with stars such as Johnny Depp and John Cleese, anxious to put his work back into cinemas.

No other British writer has combined imagination, wit and black humour to entertain his child readers over the heads and behind the back of disapproving adults.

The buzz in Los Angeles is such that Variety, the movie trade bible, headlined the studio clamour: "Big screen goes Dahl crazy!"
Dahl, who worked from a hut in the orchard of his Georgian house at Great Missenden, Bucks, under the motto "parents and teachers are the enemy", had himself long been enamoured of Hollywood.
Dirk Bogarde portrayed him in the 1981 film The Patricia Neil Story, about his wife's difficult recovery from sudden strokes. Most famously, he adapted his book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for the Oscar-nominated Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, with Gene Wilder.

He also invented the word gremlins.

Now, in what Variety describes as "2005 shaping up as the year of Roald Dahl", the Wonka film, under its original story title, is being finished by the cult director Tim Burton at Pinewood Studios, for release on July 15.

Another renowed director, Robert Altman, is adapting some of Dahl's macabre adult stories into a six-part television series, on the lines of ITV's Tales of the Unexpected, broadcast in the late 1970s.

Wes Anderson is venturing into the world of animated movies with "Fantastic Mr. Fox," based on the Roald Dahl book. Anderson will write the script and direct the stop-motion animated pic for Revolution Studios. Wes Anderson is known for darker comedies such as "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "Rushmore," and has just wrapped filming of "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou." With him is Henry Selick, who directed the 1996 film of Dahl's James and the Giant Peach.

The official Roald Dahl website describes "Fantastic Mr. Fox" as "the story of three rich, nasty farmers who are driven wild by the night-time visits of Mr Fox, who poaches chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys from the farms for his wife Mrs Fox and the four small Foxes. The farmers join together to hunt and kill Mr Fox, but things don't go exactly to plan."

Interest is also building around The Twits, the author's tale of a vile couple and their happy band of performing animals. John Cleese has already written the script with a view to star in the movie and it's thought that Cleese himself will play one of the titular Twits. Variety has announced that Mark Mylod ( 'Ali G Indahouse' TV's 'Shameless'), is attached to direct the film, which is also rumoured to combine live action and animation.

As for the story, 'The Twits' tells the tale of the dastardly Mr and Mrs Twit, a quarrelling couple who while away their days playing evil and elaborate tricks on each other, involving everything from glass eyes to bird pies and a bunch of trained monkeys.

In February and April of 2003 it was reported that Terry Jones was writing a screenplay of Roald Dahl's novel The Big Friendly Giant. Jones at the time confirmed “It’s been really good fun writing that script. Paramount are very excited about it.” Jones also confirmed that he probably would not be directing. “If Paramount were prepared to let me direct it, they would be amply rewarded,” Jones told the Edinburgh News in February. “I think it would be a very good deal, I’d do it for them very cheap actually. And I think either me or Mike Palin would make the perfect BFG...” In another inteview, Terry stated: “There ought to be a role for Sophie Dahl in it, but I'm not sure she would be happy playing a giant.” Sophie, the British model, was the inspiration for the young Sophie character in the original story and is the granddaughter of Roald Dahl.

In May 1996 Entertainment Weekly reported that reknown producer Kathleen Kennedy (E.T., Jurassic Park) had bagged The BFG for Paramount, reportedly to star John Cleese as the Big Friendly Giant himself! Screenplay writers Nicholas Kazan and Robin Swicord, the husband and wife team who had adapted Roald Dahl's Matilda for the big screen in 1996, had been hired to to script the new film as well. That particular project, obviously never made it much further than the planning stages.

The Big Friendly Giant is the story of a little orphan girl named Sophie who discovers giants do exist and, what's worse, they eat little boys and girls. Except, of course, the BFG, whom Sophie befriends one night. Together they devise a scheme to persuade the Queen Of England to help stop the mean giants.

Source: http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.j ... dahl29.xml
(originally posted by DeepinDepp, November 2004)

http://romanticmovies.about.com/od/movi ... 102904.htm

http://www.dailyllama.com/news/2003/llama226.html
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

es

Unread postby es » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:18 pm

i didnt know about the other movieadoptions,thanks for those,the girls are spending lots of time in the theater i think.
this quote made me really laugh,
cult director Tim Burton

didnt know that tim was a cult director but i am blond .
greets,
es

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:30 pm

es, I hope these movies get made too! I didn't realize I was a member of a cult either, being a Tim Burton fan. :-? :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”