CATCF Tidbit #6 - Gypsy House

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

CATCF Tidbit #6 - Gypsy House

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:46 am

From http://www.ngs.org.uk/ngs-bin/gardenq4. ... enID=11240

Gypsy House is the former residence of Roald Dahl. The gardens on the property were frequented by Dahl. He spent many hours in his writing hut in the gardens. The gardens are open to the public on certain days. The Open Garden days for 2005 are: Thurs 14 Apr; 12 May; 9 June; 14 July (2-5). You can get more information at the National Garden Scheme website http://www.ngs.org.uk/ngs-bin/gardenq2. ... enID=11240.

Gipsy House was the home of Roald Dahl. In this garden he built a hut on the edge of the orchard where he wrote his entire collection of children's stories, so not surprisingly this garden has enormous appeal to children as well as adults.

It is a small garden full of surprises. You can start with the Witches Tree, the home of Fantastic Mr Fox and his family. You then walk back down the lane into the top of the garden where there is a walled terraced vegetable garden with a greenhouse containing James' giant peaches, nectarines, three varieties of desert grapes, a collection of pelargoniums and a small goldfish tank. Amongst a wide variety of vegetables are his prize Robinsons' mammoth onions. On the walls are trained fruit trees.

Following on from the walled garden you enter a small children's yew and boxwood maze. The paths are carved with quotations from his books. On exiting the maze you enter the lime tree tunnel leading to his writing hut. The rest of the front garden contains a potage, herbaceous borders and a small sunken garden and paved terrace. From here you walk through into the orchard to the front of the house. There is a small wild garden in the Danny Champion of the World's caravan nestles under a tree house. You enter the front garden with two herbaceous borders, two small formal herb beds and grass path leading to the front door bordered by lavender beds and standard fairy rose trees.

How to get there?

From London you need to get to Marylebone Station, which is located on the Bakerloo line one stop west of Baker Street in Zone 1. At Marylebone you need to catch the train to Aylesbury, which leaves about every half hour. (There are two different routes, though, so make sure it's the one that stops in Great Missenden!)

Keep in mind that Liccy Dahl (his widow) still lives at Gypsy House. So please don’t knock on the door.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:49 pm

Pelargoniums are from Southern Africa and look like fancy pansies. The things I learn in the ONBC! :-)

http://geraniaceae.com/pelargoniums/

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:38 pm

fansmom wrote:Pelargoniums are from Southern Africa and look like fancy pansies. The things I learn in the ONBC! :-)

fansmom I always have a hard time reading your posts. Your avatar keeps looking at me & that strand of hair needs me to push it back. :drool:
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:00 pm

Any geranium is a pelargonium.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:35 pm

Veronica wrote:
fansmom wrote:Pelargoniums are from Southern Africa and look like fancy pansies. The things I learn in the ONBC! :-)

fansmom I always have a hard time reading your posts. Your avatar keeps looking at me & that strand of hair needs me to push it back. :drool:

I decided to push it back for you, V. But he's got his hat back on now. :drool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

truelymadlydepply

Unread postby truelymadlydepply » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:10 pm

Liz wrote:
Veronica wrote:

I decided to push it back for you, V. But he's got his hat back on now. :drool:

love that photo, very gyseyish too
well you learn alot from the zone, its like walking through a giant library - and travelling through the ethernet without leaving home
really neat to read about the gardens they sound beautiful
"One time he, (Marlon Brando), says to me: 'How many films do you do a year?' I said, 'I dunno. Two or three.' He says, 'You've got to watch yourself. We've only got so many faces in our pocket.' "

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:48 pm

OMG thats a hot pic. I have never seen that one before! His eyes! THUD!!!!!!!
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:42 pm

Veronica wrote:fansmom I always have a hard time reading your posts. Your avatar keeps looking at me & that strand of hair needs me to push it back.

True confessions: sometimes I have to move the bottom scroll bar to the right so all the avatars don't distract me, but then I have to wiggle it back and forth so I know who wrote what. :lol: :drool:

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:54 pm

Liz, I did not see a THUD warning! I didn't get much sleep last night - are ya tryin' ta kill me?
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:27 pm

lumineuse wrote: Liz, I did not see a THUD warning! I didn't get much sleep last night - are ya tryin' ta kill me?

That Liz! She's a sneaky one I tell ya'. :capnjack: What a nice wake up call!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:01 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
lumineuse wrote: Liz, I did not see a THUD warning! I didn't get much sleep last night - are ya tryin' ta kill me?

That Liz! She's a sneaky one I tell ya'. :capnjack: What a nice wake up call!

I was hoping no one would notice my lack of THUD warning. It's kind of hard not to notice that one is needed in this case, though, isn't it? But you see, it gives me an excuse to use a favorite pic:

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”