CATCF Tidbit #5 - Mildenhall Treasure

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

CATCF Tidbit #5 - Mildenhall Treasure

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:31 pm

Publishers Weekly, August 7, 2000 v247 i32 p97

Newfound Treasure. (Review)(Young Adult Review)(Brief Article)

Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2000 Cahners Business Information

Well before Roald Dahl published his first children's book, James and the Giant Peach, in 1961, he was writing for U.S. magazines. In 1946, the Saturday Evening Post published his true account of a Suffolk farm worker who discovered a priceless cache of Roman silver--and was denied compensation for it. First published in book form in 1977, The Mildenhall Treasure is now being reissued with moody, sophisticated illustrations by Ralph Steadman that reinforce its parable-like tones. (Knopf, $22.95 ages 12-up ISBN 0-375-81035-8; Sept.)

LIZ NOTE: Ralph Steadman also joined other former illustrators of Dahl’s in lending his interpretations to a book including 75 selections of Dahl’s works. The book is entitled, The Roald Dahl Treasury, 2003. Up until now I have only seen Ralph Steadman's work in conjunction with Hunter S. Thompson. I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the illustrations from The Mildenhall Treasure.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks, Liz. Very enjoyable.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:46 pm

Liz - the illustrations are great - really dark but I like them - guess I'll have to put Dahl on my summer reading list - way too much to try and squeeze in now! Thanks!

DITHT - thanks for the heads up about looking for Shantaram used on amazon - I typed it in and guess what else popped up?!?! a category you all probably know about "You may also like" and what was in there right across from Shantaram: Johnny Depp: A Modern Rebel!!! I nearly fell out of my chair! How many zoners shop online!??!?! :eyebrow:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Vivi Sparrow

Unread postby Vivi Sparrow » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:50 pm

Beautiful illustrations, I like them. :cool: And Ralph Steadman's signature reminds me of the F&LiLV poster. :bounce:

peanut

Unread postby peanut » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Thanks for that Liz...like you I had only seen Steadman's art connected with Thompson and FALILV. His art seems to be more stable...perhaps because the story is more settled in realistic farm life and not in a drug-addled Las Vegas! Anyway, I like seeing those trademark frantic lines in conjunction with different literature....it's interesting to see how the story affects his drawing style. Again thanks for the tidbit! :cool:
"Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind." --- Dr. Seuss

truelymadlydepply

Unread postby truelymadlydepply » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:57 pm

Thanks Liz for posting the illustrations and info
:lilyrose:
isnt it interesting how things connect, the illustrator collaborating with Hunter S Thompson, Lizbet searching for Shantaram and finding the connection with the Johnny Depp biography
serendipity
bye for now
"One time he, (Marlon Brando), says to me: 'How many films do you do a year?' I said, 'I dunno. Two or three.' He says, 'You've got to watch yourself. We've only got so many faces in our pocket.' "

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:07 pm

truelymadlydepply wrote:Thanks Liz for posting the illustrations and info
:lilyrose:
isnt it interesting how things connect, the illustrator collaborating with Hunter S Thompson, Lizbet searching for Shantaram and finding the connection with the Johnny Depp biography
serendipity
bye for now

Or the Twilight Zone.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:10 pm

Twilight Zone - is that what I'm living in - things have been kinda 'off' lately - but thanks to you gals here at OBNC I've had several really good giggles over the last couple days and that's made all the difference in the world :disco:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:17 pm

lizbet wrote: Twilight Zone - is that what I'm living in - things have been kinda 'off' lately - but thanks to you gals here at OBNC I've had several really good giggles over the last couple days and that's made all the difference in the world :disco:

Good to know lizbet! We enjoy your company too! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:44 pm

I like these, especially the snow scene. I have to admit I am a little shocked by these drawings, I have found the drawings in F&L a little grotesque -- but these have a different spirit. I didn't know the artist had it in him.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:39 pm

Thanks Liz. RS has a very distinctive style that I too, associate with Hunter. Who else could capture Hunter anyway?

Here's another weird Twilight Zone thingy....hubby and I went to the wine store this past weekend and as I was perusing the aisles something caught my eye. There on a wine label was one of RS's illustrations. It is unmistakable. I wish I could remember what wine it was. I almost bought it just for the label alone. lol I'll have to go back and see what it was.

lizbet, sorry things have been off lately, but there's always a laugh to be had around here to help you feel better. I just had one reading the posts on tidbit #6! Yes, I'm amazed what pops up when I surf Amazon. We must all be going there at some point.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:56 pm

KYwoman wrote: Here's another weird Twilight Zone thingy....hubby and I went to the wine store this past weekend and as I was perusing the aisles something caught my eye. There on a wine label was one of RS's illustrations. It is unmistakable. I wish I could remember what wine it was. I almost bought it just for the label alone. lol I'll have to go back and see what it was.

Apparently Steadman has done some work in the wine genre…

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0151002452/103-9505634-0579060

http://www.ralphsteadman.com/01wine.asp

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,9950,736055,00.html

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:50 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
KYwoman wrote: Here's another weird Twilight Zone thingy....hubby and I went to the wine store this past weekend and as I was perusing the aisles something caught my eye. There on a wine label was one of RS's illustrations. It is unmistakable. I wish I could remember what wine it was. I almost bought it just for the label alone. lol I'll have to go back and see what it was.

Apparently Steadman has done some work in the wine genre…

Unbelievable! I feel so stupid. I've been looking at Bonny Doon Vineyard wines for months--appreciating the style of their labels--thinking how cool they are--not realizing it was Ralph. Bonny Doon is a local winery of ours. :dunce:

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:02 am

Thanks again DITHOT and Liz for the mind expanding info. :cool:

Don't worry Liz, I too have had those 'slap the forehead moments'. Have you had that wine? I'd be interested in hearing if you cared for it. I may have to try it.

All this Ralph Steadman talk reminded me of a book I have of his.
It's called 'The Book of Jones: A tribute to a mercurial, manic, and utterly seductive cat." published in 1995 (UK), 1997 (US). It's a small book with RS illustrations about Hunter Thompson's cat, Jones. There is also an illustration of the entrance of Owl Farm, Hunter's home. The book is dedicated to Lala Nabulsi, "beauty to the beasts", (remember Lala produced the movie F & L in LV and lived with Hunter for five years). I got the book because I love cats so and thought this was a great one.

Here's an excerpt: "Hunter had kept other animals over the years, chosen - like any pet- impulsively and from what was available at the time. But Jones chose Hunter, or at least Hunter's house. It suited his purpose right down to the tip of his bushy tail." There's not much text, but in describing Jones, he describes cats from all walks of life! Of course the illustrations are true Steadman.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:23 am

KYwoman wrote:Thanks again DITHOT and Liz for the mind expanding info. :cool:

Don't worry Liz, I too have had those 'slap the forehead moments'. Have you had that wine? I'd be interested in hearing if you cared for it. I may have to try it.

All this Ralph Steadman talk reminded me of a book I have of his.
It's called 'The Book of Jones: A tribute to a mercurial, manic, and utterly seductive cat." published in 1995 (UK), 1997 (US). It's a small book with RS illustrations about Hunter Thompson's cat, Jones. There is also an illustration of the entrance of Owl Farm, Hunter's home. The book is dedicated to Lala Nabulsi, "beauty to the beasts", (remember Lala produced the movie F & L in LV and lived with Hunter for five years). I got the book because I love cats so and thought this was a great one.

Here's an excerpt: "Hunter had kept other animals over the years, chosen - like any pet- impulsively and from what was available at the time. But Jones chose Hunter, or at least Hunter's house. It suited his purpose right down to the tip of his bushy tail." There's not much text, but in describing Jones, he describes cats from all walks of life! Of course the illustrations are true Steadman.

That sounds like my kid of book, KY. It seems to me an excerpt from that book is read in Breakfast with Hunter. If I remember correctly it was hysterical.

And as far as the Bonny Doon wine, I've had the Pino Grigio and the Big House Red (the only one within my budget)--both very good. I'd like to give the Zin a try.

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”