CATCF Tidbit #4 - Dahl's Last Book

by Roald Dahl

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

CATCF Tidbit #4 - Dahl's Last Book

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:57 pm

Below is a review of the last book that Dahl wrote.

Publishers Weekly, Dec 20, 1991 v238 n55 p82(2)

The Vicar of Nibbleswicke.

Full Text: COPYRIGHT 1991 Cahners Business Information

Imagine what would happen if a nervous young parson were re-afflicted with a peculiar strain of his childhood dyslexia, so that he unknowingly pronounced backwards only the most significant word in every sentence. In the fiendish hands of Roald Dahl, the parishioners must not only suffer the offense of praising Dog, but when the unsuspecting vicar attempts to compliment a group of little old ladies on the fact that each of them knits, his actual words incite chaos. Written for the benefit of the Dyslexia Institute in London, this slight book employs a host of jocular (though sometime vulgar) malaprops to accentuate the beleaguered parson's condition. Blake's daffy illustrations have long captured the outrageous humor of Dahl's text, and this collaboration proves on exception. Of special interest is the illustrator's touching tribute at the end of the book, both to the late author's talent and to his "passionate belief in the importance of reading," which inspired this, his last book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

es

Unread postby es » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:29 pm

thats sounds like a good read,never heard of the title(should i be asamed?).
is this achildsbook or for adults?(i want to look it up in the librarie)
greetings,
es

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:33 pm

oh my Dog!!!!!!! is this review for real - you and DITHT aren't playing april's fools early?????? its too much - I have to read it!!! a CATCF for adults!!!!!! really its too much :bounce:

the first thing that came to mind was the 'rookie' priest in Four Weddings and a Funeral who said 'the Father, Son and the Holy Spigget'!!!!!!

I love Dahl's warped sense of humour - bring on more tidbits, Liz, bring them on :bounce:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:28 pm

lizbet wrote:oh my Dog!!!!!!! is this review for real - you and DITHT aren't playing april's fools early?????? its too much - I have to read it!!! a CATCF for adults!!!!!! really its too much :bounce:

the first thing that came to mind was the 'rookie' priest in Four Weddings and a Funeral who said 'the Father, Son and the Holy Spigget'!!!!!!

I love Dahl's warped sense of humour - bring on more tidbits, Liz, bring them on :bounce:

Would I kid you? This book is for real--reading level grade 3-5, according to Amazon.com.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

axelsgirl

Unread postby axelsgirl » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:14 am

THE VICAR of NIBBLESWICKE sounds like a book perfect for grades 3-5. Anything warped and irreverent is right up there on the top of their most requested books list. As soon as one of the CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS series of books would come back to our elementary library a child would be right there waiting to check it out. Anything that gets a child interested in reading is great and the funnier the better! :bounce:
"Yeah, well, let's keep on truckin'!"

es

Unread postby es » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:50 am

well,tomorrow of to the librarie and the girls have to read it with me then,thanks for pointing this book out,greets,
es

ps)checked on the site of our libarie so now i have the dutch title,searching will be alot eassier this way)
Last edited by es on Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:33 am

well,tomorrow of to the librarie and the girls have to read it with me then,thanks for pointing this book out,greets,
es

Let us know what you think es. It sounds like a fun book. Wonder if my 20 somethingish kid would like me to read it to him?? :eyebrow:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:35 pm

Thanks Liz! Just added The Vicar of Nibbleswicke to my library list. Sounds like a fun book to read. :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:24 pm

Well, poop, my usually excellent public library doesn't have it.

Do you think he chose a vicar because of the Reverend Spooner, for whom spoonerisms are named?

peanut

Unread postby peanut » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:30 pm

OOOH Another book to add to my already gigantic "books-to-read" pile! Thanks Liz! Sounds like a great, hysterical, and beautifully random read! :cool:
"Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind." --- Dr. Seuss

es

Unread postby es » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:47 am

well,i happened to be in the librarie this morning with my daughters class and tought i would have a peek at the book so i knew wath to look for in the afternoon(you cant take it in the morniong,thats only for school)
it was such a tiny book i have read it in 15 minutes.(the dutch version so i assume the wordjokes are chanched )
it is a realy funny,easy wrote book about the fact (i think)about altough your different you can be accepted in a communitie.
when you have a little time on your hand go read it.
(i really had tought it would be the size like charly but its really very small)
greets,
es

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:26 am

es wrote:well,i happened to be in the librarie this morning with my daughters class and tought i would have a peek at the book so i knew wath to look for in the afternoon(you cant take it in the morniong,thats only for school)
it was such a tiny book i have read it in 15 minutes.(the dutch version so i assume the wordjokes are chanched )
it is a realy funny,easy wrote book about the fact (i think)about altough your different you can be accepted in a communitie.
when you have a little time on your hand go read it.
(i really had tought it would be the size like charly but its really very small)
greets,
es

Thanks for the review, ES. I'll see if I can find it at the library.

Return to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”