FI Question #16: In the time of your life, live!

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:08 am

nebraska wrote: One of FLYlady's things is that she refers to 'blessing' your home -- don't think of it as cleaning a toilet, think of it as blessing your family.

I can appreciate this thought. It means a lot to do something for others in your life and I think a lot of us, as women/wives/mothers, take on that role without even thinking twice about it or being appreciated for it. I just wish one of the others in my house would me moved to bless our space! :banghead:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:01 pm

I think this sums it up...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:08 pm

Veronica wrote: I think this sums it up...

Quote:
Wow! What a ride!

I try Veronica! :bounce:

Wow! What a ride!

RaineyDays

Unread postby RaineyDays » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:26 pm

First time with these threads but here goes..

While reading your posts, something Johnny said on Inside the Actors Studio kept comming up and that is his quote " Never be satisfied, thats..death for an actor."? Something close and that i think deals well with not only acting but for all of life in a sence where its good to never be satisfied with how much you are doing or how well you think you are living, because if your satisfied then..youll stop trying. Dunno if that makes sence but i do believe im not the only person desperate to live..*sigh* "life to the fullest" as ive heard it said.
Im 14 and I look around at my friends and my family who i see rolling in puddles of 1.) self pity 2.) self doubt and 3.) boredom, weather they see it or not. One guy slightly older than me comes to mind when i think of this who i love dearly and he is probably one of the best friends ive ever had but, he has some troubles (who doesnt?) but he refuses to look past some of the imperfections and move on or just...quit adding misery to the world and just be happy and live and roll with whatever life throws your way and just try and make what you can out of it.
Sometimes its difficult to look at it, but it makes me examine what im doing and sometimes thats a bit frustrating because i never think im doing enough and i get carried away and wind up missing out on a lot just because i refused to lay back and enjoy it.
The past year for me has been a huge year for self-discovery and recognizing that ya know its not too late to do it right. And thats beautiful right now because im not sure if anyone sees it, at least they dont act like they do. Trying to talk to your friends about this is awkward because they hardly ever get a word your saying and they wont take it that life has so much to offer. I got a list of quotes (mainly from the Inspiration threads) that i read over every night that keep me focused on these things, wanting to live fully and try everything. Okay...thats enough for me..Ta.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:02 pm

RaineyDays wrote:First time with these threads but here goes..

While reading your posts, something Johnny said on Inside the Actors Studio kept comming up and that is his quote " Never be satisfied, thats..death for an actor."? Something close and that i think deals well with not only acting but for all of life in a sence where its good to never be satisfied with how much you are doing or how well you think you are living, because if your satisfied then..youll stop trying. Dunno if that makes sence but i do believe im not the only person desperate to live..*sigh* "life to the fullest" as ive heard it said.
Im 14 and I look around at my friends and my family who i see rolling in puddles of 1.) self pity 2.) self doubt and 3.) boredom, weather they see it or not. One guy slightly older than me comes to mind when i think of this who i love dearly and he is probably one of the best friends ive ever had but, he has some troubles (who doesnt?) but he refuses to look past some of the imperfections and move on or just...quit adding misery to the world and just be happy and live and roll with whatever life throws your way and just try and make what you can out of it.
Sometimes its difficult to look at it, but it makes me examine what im doing and sometimes thats a bit frustrating because i never think im doing enough and i get carried away and wind up missing out on a lot just because i refused to lay back and enjoy it.
The past year for me has been a huge year for self-discovery and recognizing that ya know its not too late to do it right. And thats beautiful right now because im not sure if anyone sees it, at least they dont act like they do. Trying to talk to your friends about this is awkward because they hardly ever get a word your saying and they wont take it that life has so much to offer. I got a list of quotes (mainly from the Inspiration threads) that i read over every night that keep me focused on these things, wanting to live fully and try everything. Okay...thats enough for me..Ta.

Wow, RaineyDays! I think you've got it. You are amazingly wise for your young age. It's taken me many years to learn to "let it go" or "roll with the punches". Pat yourself on the back for coming to this realization now. I hope you can find a way to pass it on to your friends. But IMHO I'm afraid it's something they will have to learn for themselves.

It's a pleasure to have you on this thread. Glad you found us. :thumbsup:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

RaineyDays

Unread postby RaineyDays » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:20 pm

Wow! Thanks Liz, and i like it here, I never really noticed this board until now. The truth is i have not read Time of your life yet, I cant seem to find it. And yes, you are right, my friends will have to realize it themselves but it IS difficult to try and have fun with everything i do when they are dragging behind. :-| Thanks again, I look forward to posting more on here from now on.

truelymadlydepply

Re: FI Question #16: In the time of your life, live!

Unread postby truelymadlydepply » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:27 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Robbins wrote..."Everybody on earth, unfortunately, is prepared for death, but very few are prepared for life." (pg. 302) Do you agree or disagree? How do you prepare for life?

Life has a way of throwing the unexpected at us - we can never predict what is going to happen, sometimes I think I know how my day is going to be before it starts, but people and life in general is full of suprises, some good, some not so good. Maybe being prepared for life is learning not to have expectations and just to sort of go with whatever is thrown our way - no one can read the future. Maybe it is realising that we are not in control - of anything really, even though we may think that we are!! And maybe to accept everything with grace - including sickness and eventually death. Maybe life and death are the same thing, to be approached with submission to the unexpected and openess to the journey.

And by the way Rainey Days I loved reading what you have to say, to be 14 and so wise and understanding about life, thats amazing to have reached that space - I'm 46 and your post has inspired me for the day - as you say its not too late to do it right.
"One time he, (Marlon Brando), says to me: 'How many films do you do a year?' I said, 'I dunno. Two or three.' He says, 'You've got to watch yourself. We've only got so many faces in our pocket.' "

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: FI Question #16: In the time of your life, live!

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:42 pm

truelymadlydepply wrote:Life has a way of throwing the unexpected at us - we can never predict what is going to happen, sometimes I think I know how my day is going to be before it starts, but people and life in general is full of suprises, some good, some not so good. Maybe being prepared for life is learning not to have expectations and just to sort of go with whatever is thrown our way - no one can read the future. Maybe it is realising that we are not in control - of anything really, even though we may think that we are!! And maybe to accept everything with grace - including sickness and eventually death. Maybe life and death are the same thing, to be approached with submission to the unexpected and openess to the journey.

You people never cease to amaze me. Just when I think everything has been said that could be said, one more amazing insight is revealed. Image

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:47 pm

RaineyDays wrote:Wow! Thanks Liz, and i like it here, I never really noticed this board until now. The truth is i have not read Time of your life yet, I cant seem to find it. And yes, you are right, my friends will have to realize it themselves but it IS difficult to try and have fun with everything i do when they are dragging behind. :-| Thanks again, I look forward to posting more on here from now on.

RaineyDays, you probably won't be able to find The Time of Your Life all by it's onesies. It is contained in an anthology of Saroyan's works entitled, The William Saroyan Reader. What's nice about this book is that you get to read many of his other beautiful short stories. You should be able to find it on Amazon.

RaineyDays

Unread postby RaineyDays » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:01 pm

RaineyDays, you probably won't be able to find The Time of Your Life all by it's onesies. It is contained in an anthology of Saroyan's works entitled, The William Saroyan Reader. What's nice about this book is that you get to read many of his other beautiful short stories. You should be able to find it on Amazon

*writes down* The William..Saroyan..Reader. GOT IT! Thanks, Ill check amazon. Im not familiar with William Saroyan or his books, any good? Sound good. Oh and hey! While im at it, you got any other books youve read that you wanna suggest, im sorta out of reading material at the moment :-/ Uh oh..this is getting off topic. Oops, Ta.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:13 pm

RaineyDays wrote:
RaineyDays, you probably won't be able to find The Time of Your Life all by it's onesies. It is contained in an anthology of Saroyan's works entitled, The William Saroyan Reader. What's nice about this book is that you get to read many of his other beautiful short stories. You should be able to find it on Amazon

*writes down* The William..Saroyan..Reader. GOT IT! Thanks, Ill check amazon. Im not familiar with William Saroyan or his books, any good? Sound good. Oh and hey! While im at it, you got any other books youve read that you wanna suggest, im sorta out of reading material at the moment :-/ Uh oh..this is getting off topic. Oops, Ta.

It's not that off topic if it's about books, RaineyDays. For a full list of books that we've read here at ONBC check the sticky at the beginning of our board entitled "Why These Books?" Also there was a thread going (either at the bottom of this page or the next page back) about book recommendations. Check it out and happy reading.

RaineyDays

Unread postby RaineyDays » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:36 pm

Many Thanks

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:56 pm

Welcome Rainey :wave: Days! I hope you enjoy the Saroyan, let us know!

Wow! What a ride!

surfmom

Unread postby surfmom » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:14 am

On boredom---I think it can be a gift sometimes. The few times my kids tell me that they are bored, I tell them that their boredom is indicative of a lack of imagination. I tease, but in truth, when they have down time and a little boredom, they get restless and then creative. I am often amazed at the art, or games or tent cities that come as a result.

On how to live life: Has anyone seen What the Bleep Do We Know?? A major theme in that movie is our choices and our thoughts. How our thoughts define who we are, how we experience life, what we "see" or don't see. There's a quote I love about living consciously:

""I wake up in the morning, and I consciously create my day the way I want it to happen. Now, sometimes, because my mind is examining all the things that I need to get done it takes me a little bit to settle down and get to the point where I'm actually intentionally creating my day. But here's the thing. When I create my day, and out of nowhere, little things happen that are so unexplainable, I know that they are the process or the result of my creation. And the more I do that, the more I build a neural net in my brain and I accept that's possible. It gives me the power and the incentive to do it the next day."

"Isn't it amazing that we have options and potentials that exist but we're unaware of them?"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:49 am

Nice to see you back, Surfmom! :wave:

surfmom wrote:On boredom---I think it can be a gift sometimes. The few times my kids tell me that they are bored, I tell them that their boredom is indicative of a lack of imagination. I tease, but in truth, when they have down time and a little boredom, they get restless and then creative. I am often amazed at the art, or games or tent cities that come as a result.

This is so true. And prior to the age of video games and TV this is what all kids did in their down time.

surfmom wrote:"I create my day, and out of nowhere, little things happen that are so unexplainable, I know that they are the process or the result of my creation. And the more I do that, the more I build a neural net in my brain and I accept that's possible. It gives me the power and the incentive to do it the next day."

This could all be what's meant to be, though. I think it's all about attitude and being flexible. And obviously this person had a good attitude and looked at his/her day in a positive light.

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”