FI Question #14 - THUD WARNING to the 28th Degree

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

FI Question #14 - THUD WARNING to the 28th Degree

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:03 pm

What Johnny characters do you recognize in this book?

Who did this beautiful collage?

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:27 pm

THUD warning indeed!!!! I don't know who did the collage, but doesn't Shadow usually cook up some of these delights?

Anyway, about the question. Are you referring to what different characters does Switters remind us of? If that's the case, I'd have to say there is definately some Sands, and CJS there. A little bravado, trickster-type. Also some DJDM and Roux for the sweet, sexy times. Gene W, Donnie B., Ichabod, and Fred A. as related to the problem-solving, detective work. Axel, during the time when he was in the wheelchair hanging out at the market in Seattle watching the 'boat' races. Reminds me of Axel helping with the dream to fly.

If were talking about other book characters being like Johnny characters then I'd have to say Sailor Boy was like Ed Wood; Suzy was like BonBon when she was being flirty; and Maestra seemed like a combo of Donnie, Sands, and Spencer.

If none of this is correct, then I really didn't understand the question. lol
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:43 pm

KYwoman wrote: If none of this is correct, then I really didn't understand the question. lol

I think you understood the question quite well! I have been so hung up on seeing Sands :grin: that I didn't see the other connections! Love your comparisons to the other characters in the book too.

About the collage, it was either Shadow or Veronica. Will the real artist please stand up! :disco:

(We need a clapping hands emoticon...)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:58 pm

Thanks for the thud warning! Mmmmm... A big thank you to whoever produced it!

Ichabod, for his reaction to the spider and his squeamishness. Also his attempt to be rational.
:capnjack: for the way he talked down the night-time visitors to the convent.
Raoul, for his visit to the Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet and the joke he plays on the boy serving him: "'So, you won't betray the colonel for love or money? Not even to spare your girlfriend's life?'... With a Cajun-style drumstick between his oft-abused but still pearly teeth, he headed back toward the west, roaring into one of those orangeade sunsets" Also, for some of his political comments.
J M Barrie, for his thoughts about young animals: "If only they wouldn't grow up!... his liking for domestic animals was restricted to ... before they became cautious and staid, before their spontaneity was genetically assassinated and their sense of wonder crushed".
Also, can I choose a character he hasn't played yet? Paul, in TRD. there's a comment that reminded me of him: "I spend a lot of time in countries where I can't understand the language at all. And you know, Suzy, I'm coming to prefer it that way. It's uplifting. When you go for a while without being able to understand a word of what anyone around you is saying, you start to forget what banal bores our blethering brethren can be".
Last edited by suec on Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:05 pm

suec wrote:Thanks for the thud warning! Mmmmm... A big thank you to whoever produced it!

Ichabod, for his reaction to the spider and his squeamishness. Also his attempt to be rational.
:capnjack: for the way he talked down the night-time visitors to the convent.
Raoul, for his visit to the Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet and the joke he plays on the boy serving him: "'So, you won't betray the colonel for love or money? Not even to spare your girlfriend's life?'... With a Cajun-style drumstick between his oft-abused but stil pearly teeth, he headed back toward the west, roaring into one of those orangeade sunsets" Also, for some of his political comments.
J M Barrie, for his thoughts about young animals: "If only they wouldn't grow up!... his liking for domestic animals was restricted to ... before they became cautious and staid, before their spontaneity was genetically assassinated and their sense of wonder crushed".
Also, can I choose a character he hasn't played yet? Paul, in TRD. there's a comment that reminded me of him: "I spend a lot of time in countries where I can't understand the language at all. And you know, Suzy, I'm coming to prefer it that way. It's uplifting. When you go for a while without being able to understand a word of what anyone around you is saying, you start to forget what banal bores our blethering brethren can be".

Good catches, Suec. I hadn't picked up on any of those.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:10 pm

Thanks, Liz. I'd like to add, :capnjack: for his love of freedom, and Roux, for that matter. The dislike of maintenance and cages. The explicit references to freedom, such as in the Huxley quotation. Also, the dedication to Captain Kirk: To boldly go.../bring me that horizon.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:28 pm

Wow! I have no new thoughts to add. Just wanted to let everyone know how wonderful it is to read all the comments. Everyone's different views and ideas about the book really open up my own mind to alternate thinking. I was always seeing Sands in the character of Switters, but I can now see so many others also. Thanks to all for sharing!
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

axelsgirl

Unread postby axelsgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:01 pm

Wow! Good question! Never really pictured Switters as a character JD has played, but now that I really think about it...
Of course Roul Duke, especially when he tried to get Domino to get him some hashish.
Sands, pretty self explanatory.
Ed Wood, Switters seems to always be optomistic about the situations he gets in. Always looking for the advantages.
George Jung, also the drug use.
And finally Abberline for the analytical way he thinks and explores.
axelsgirl
"Yeah, well, let's keep on truckin'!"

abigail

Unread postby abigail » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:22 am

Wow, I never bothered to look past Sands! Great ideas here, everyone! I don't have much to add, you've all covered it really well. I can't remember if I saw OUATIM or if I read the book first, but I felt like Switters could have been one of Johnny's ingredients in creating the Sands character. Why else would Sands read bios on Judy Garland?! Hehe
What a great collage by the way!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:26 am

abigail wrote:Wow, I never bothered to look past Sands! Great ideas here, everyone! I don't have much to add, you've all covered it really well. I can't remember if I saw OUATIM or if I read the book first, but I felt like Switters could have been one of Johnny's ingredients in creating the Sands character. Why else would Sands read bios on Judy Garland?! Hehe

That is something I also wondered. It's almost uncanny. I earmarked 11 pages of quotes of Switters that were Sands through and through. I finally stopped marking them.

I also saw Captain Jack. An example: "It's a pet name. Family thing." I could just hear CJS saying that.

Raoul Duke was on these pages too: "What I'm saying is that Potney took a bite out of the old forbidden Winesap and could neither assimilate it nor eliminate it. A cruel dilemma. As Hesse said. 'The magic theater is not for everyone.'" -- Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:05 pm

Quote from suec:
"Also, can I choose a character he hasn't played yet? Paul, in TRD. there's a comment that reminded me of him: "I spend a lot of time in countries where I can't understand the language at all. And you know, Suzy, I'm coming to prefer it that way. It's uplifting. When you go for a while without being able to understand a word of what anyone around you is saying, you start to forget what banal bores our blethering brethren can be".

I don't know what TRD stands for........coffee hasn't started working yet....... but the above quote is definitely Johnny's real life in France. That is probably what suec was implying, but like I said, my brain hasn't kicked in yet. I too see the usual suspects in the book vs Johnny's characters, most definitely Sands, but to picture Switters/Ichabod and the spider scene really adds to the visual. I had not thought of that one.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:27 pm

Gypsylee wrote:Quote from suec:
"Also, can I choose a character he hasn't played yet? Paul, in TRD. there's a comment that reminded me of him: "I spend a lot of time in countries where I can't understand the language at all. And you know, Suzy, I'm coming to prefer it that way. It's uplifting. When you go for a while without being able to understand a word of what anyone around you is saying, you start to forget what banal bores our blethering brethren can be".

I don't know what TRD stands for........coffee hasn't started working yet....... but the above quote is definitely Johnny's real life in France. That is probably what suec was implying, but like I said, my brain hasn't kicked in yet. I too see the usual suspects in the book vs Johnny's characters, most definitely Sands, but to picture Switters/Ichabod and the spider scene really adds to the visual. I had not thought of that one.

TRD refers to The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson, which we discussed last April--probably prior to your joining us, Gypsylee. Here is an example of what she is referring to. I think it will be of interest to anyone who hasn't read TRD:

Here I was, living in a luxury hotel, racing around a half-Latin city in a toy car that looked like a cockroach and sounded like a jet fighter, sneaking down alleys and humping on the beach, scavenging for food in shark-infested waters, hounded by mobs yelling in a foreign tongue--and the whole thing was taking place in quaint old Spanish Puerto Rico, where everybody spent American dollars and drove American cars and sat around roulette wheels pretending they were in Casablanca. One part of the city looked like Tampa and the other part looked like a medieval asylum. Everybody I met acted as if they had just come back from a crucial screen test. And I was being paid a ridiculous salary to wander around and take it all in, to "find out what was going on."

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:15 pm

Sorry guys, but after seeing Johnny in the incredible blue suit last night, I am speechless for once. Can't think beyond that right this minute. My lord he was breathtaking. You know...the h word.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Larkwoodgirl wrote:Sorry guys, but after seeing Johnny in the incredible blue suit last night, I am speechless for once. Can't think beyond that right this minute. My lord he was breathtaking. You know...the h word.

Larkwoodgirl, did you mean to say HOT? :capnjack:

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:14 pm

Liz wrote:
Larkwoodgirl wrote:Sorry guys, but after seeing Johnny in the incredible blue suit last night, I am speechless for once. Can't think beyond that right this minute. My lord he was breathtaking. You know...the h word.

Larkwoodgirl, did you mean to say HOT? :capnjack:

Agreed!!
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”