Question #10 - If Only He Had Used Better Judgement....

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Question #10 - If Only He Had Used Better Judgement....

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:40 am

Pg. 105 Thus, out of empathy as much as curiosity, and against that paralyzer, that strangler of enlightened progress known as “better judgment,” Switters consented to let a ragtag gaggle of Nacanaca carry off Sailor Boy into the jungle.”

Do you think better judgment strangles progress?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:01 am

To some extent, just like it is said to strangle creativity, etc. etc. Unfortunately, it is only AFTER an event, can anyone say whether a person made a wise decision, should be nominated for the Nobel prize, or should be stoned to death for their choice.

Just this morning this story was on AOL news: shown in part here:

BANGKOK, Thailand (Jan. 11) - Until two weeks ago, Smith Thammasaroj was a prophet without honor. As chief of Thailand's meteorological department in 1998, he was accused of scare-mongering when he warned that the country's southwest coast could face a deadly tsunami.

He retired under a shadow, dismissed as a crackpot, accused of causing panic and jeopardizing a critical tourist industry that grew up around the tropical resort island of Phuket.

Today, Smith is being lionized for his foresight after the devastating Dec. 26 Indian Ocean tsunami, which killed more than 150,000 people around the region, including 5,300 in Thailand, where 3,600 more are listed as missing.

[/url]http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050111134109990011[url]

Seems like a prime example here of better judgement being strangled. Also seems to fit a question recently posed to my son for a paper he had to write:

H. L. Mencken, noted 20th century author and newspaper columnist, once remarked that “For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it is always wrong.” [/url]

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:13 am

Charlene wrote:To some extent, just like it is said to strangle creativity, etc. etc. Unfortunately, it is only AFTER an event, can anyone say whether a person made a wise decision, should be nominated for the Nobel prize, or should be stoned to death for their choice.

BANGKOK, Thailand (Jan. 11) - Until two weeks ago, Smith Thammasaroj was a prophet without honor. As chief of Thailand's meteorological department in 1998, he was accused of scare-mongering when he warned that the country's southwest coast could face a deadly tsunami.

He retired under a shadow, dismissed as a crackpot, accused of causing panic and jeopardizing a critical tourist industry that grew up around the tropical resort island of Phuket.

Today, Smith is being lionized for his foresight after the devastating Dec. 26 Indian Ocean tsunami, which killed more than 150,000 people around the region, including 5,300 in Thailand, where 3,600 more are listed as missing.

Seems like a prime example here of better judgement being strangled. Also seems to fit a question recently posed to my son for a paper he had to write:

H. L. Mencken, noted 20th century author and newspaper columnist, once remarked that “For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it is always wrong.” [/url]

Wow!

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

rustyred

Unread postby rustyred » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:51 am

Liz wrote:
Charlene wrote:To some extent, just like it is said to strangle creativity, etc. etc. Unfortunately, it is only AFTER an event, can anyone say whether a person made a wise decision, should be nominated for the Nobel prize, or should be stoned to death for their choice.

Wow!

Wow - is right
Johnny's take on Captain Jack Sparrow is a great example of how going against the grain of poplar thought produces something profond and memorable

I love Mencken's quote it is too true

Good old Shel Silverstein poem comes to mind

LIsten to the Mustn'ts

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WONT'S
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me--
Anything can happen child.
ANYTHING can be
Do you like me........now?

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:37 am

Awesome responses! I can't think of a thing to add......
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:07 pm

That is amazing about the meteorologist in Thailand. Money talks I guess. :-/ Nothing was ever invented or thought of by people staying inside the box. It is those people in the world that are willing to take a chance or look for an inventive, creative solution to a problem that advance mankind. Of course hindsight is always 20/20 but that should not create intertia.

rustyred wrote: Good old Shel Silverstein poem comes to mind

LIsten to the Mustn'ts

Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
ANYTHING can be

rr, I LOVE Shel Silverstein. He is one of my favorite authors. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:08 pm

rustyred wrote:
Liz wrote:

Wow!

Wow - is right
Johnny's take on Captain Jack Sparrow is a great example of how going against the grain of poplar thought produces something profond and memorable

I love Mencken's quote it is too true

Good old Shel Silverstein poem comes to mind

LIsten to the Mustn'ts

Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
ANYTHING can be

Wow again! And thanks for all your Shel Silverstein poems, Rusty. I think I've been exposed to her more here on the Zone than I ever was when my son was a youngin and enjoyed her books.

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:17 pm

Sometimes better judgement can strangle progress and sometimes it can save your life. I've lived long enough to have developed a healthy respect for better judgement. I think you have to find a balance between better judgement and risk taking.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:30 pm

A little off topic here, but related to Rusty's post:

"If you saw Shel coming up a New York sidewalk with his old mailman's bag stuffed full of songs wearing a worn-out pair of cowboy boots and faded Can't-Bust-'Em jeans, you'd never guess that he'd written dozens of hit records and sold over eighteen million children's books.” -- Fred Koller

And I definitely would not have recognized him because I thought HE was a SHE until a little birdy told me differently a few minutes ago. :dunce: :blush: :rotflmao:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:33 pm

Larkwoodgirl wrote:Sometimes better judgement can strangle progress and sometimes it can save your life. I've lived long enough to have developed a healthy respect for better judgement. I think you have to find a balance between better judgement and risk taking.

Balance is good...and the wisdom to know when to use better judgement and when to throw it aside and take a risk.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:41 pm

Balance is good...and the wisdom to know when to use better judgement and when to throw it aside and take a risk.

That's the tricky part :-? Sometimes you only find that out in hindsight... :dunce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:54 pm

Liz wrote:A little off topic here, but related to Rusty's post:

"If you saw Shel coming up a New York sidewalk with his old mailman's bag stuffed full of songs wearing a worn-out pair of cowboy boots and faded Can't-Bust-'Em jeans, you'd never guess that he'd written dozens of hit records and sold over eighteen million children's books.” -- Fred Koller

Remind you of anyone else we all know and love?

rustyred

Unread postby rustyred » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:51 pm

lumineuse wrote:

No kidding eh! Wonder if Johnny has read any Silverstein to his kids.
Thos two are like peas in a pod !
Do you like me........now?

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:16 pm

rustyred wrote:
lumineuse wrote:

I think Johnny would love his writing, so I wouldn't be surprised!

truelymadlydepply

Unread postby truelymadlydepply » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:07 am

lumineuse wrote:
rustyred wrote:
lumineuse wrote:

I have never heard of Shel Silverstein
would anyone be able to recommend any books by him?
sounds like an interesting man
maybe i've heard some of his music but didn't know it was him writing the songs

I think Johnny would love his writing, so I wouldn't be surprised!
"One time he, (Marlon Brando), says to me: 'How many films do you do a year?' I said, 'I dunno. Two or three.' He says, 'You've got to watch yourself. We've only got so many faces in our pocket.' "

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”