Question #10 - If Only He Had Used Better Judgement....

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:58 am

trulymadlydepply wrote:

I have never heard of Shel Silverstein
would anyone be able to recommend any books by him?
sounds like an interesting man
maybe i've heard some of his music but didn't know it was him writing the songs

He is famous for his poetry, which is written for children, but appeals greatly to adults,too. The messages are very sweet. He's clever with his poems, like Ogden Nash. Where The Sidewalk Ends is one of his most famous collections, and would be a good place to start.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:28 pm

I love that poem. I'm going to print it off and keep it. I agree with Larkwoodgirl's point about the balance between the two. That is crucial. Knowing which to choose and when, is too. I usually get that one very wrong. I think Robbins is promoting balance in many ways. I guess in this particular instance, better judgment would have strangled progress. If he had exercised it, his life wouldn't have taken that interesting turn, with him living with the nuns and the relationship with Domino. His professional life might have carried in in that unrewarding way. And the third prophecy might not have come to light. On the whole, I agree with Robbins on this one.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

truelymadlydepply

Unread postby truelymadlydepply » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:41 pm

lumineuse wrote:trulymadlydepply wrote:

He is famous for his poetry, which is written for children, but appeals greatly to adults,too. The messages are very sweet. He's clever with his poems, like Ogden Nash. Where The Sidewalk Ends is one of his most famous collections, and would be a good place to start.

thanks for that Lumineuse
I will look out for his poetry, might try our library here first
"One time he, (Marlon Brando), says to me: 'How many films do you do a year?' I said, 'I dunno. Two or three.' He says, 'You've got to watch yourself. We've only got so many faces in our pocket.' "

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:36 pm

lumineuse wrote:trulymadlydepply wrote:

My son bought 3 of Shel's poetry books:
1. A light in the Attic
2. Falling Up
3. Where the Sidewalk Ends

There was also a CD included with The Sidewalk book with samples of him reading some of the poems. There is a lot of art in his books.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

deppdreamer

Unread postby deppdreamer » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:17 pm

I relaize that this thread is a few days old, but I just wanted to make a brief comment.

Just a short while ago a young girl (about 14 years old) commented to me that it is the risk takers that change the world. I had to agree with her. Her statement is something that has stayed with me, not just for it's content but for the fact that such a young person would be so astute.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:08 pm

deppdreamer wrote:I relaize that this thread is a few days old, but I just wanted to make a brief comment.

Just a short while ago a young girl (about 14 years old) commented to me that it is the risk takers that change the world. I had to agree with her. Her statement is something that has stayed with me, not just for it's content but for the fact that such a young person would be so astute.

Kids are a lot more sophisticated and worldly today than in my day. I think that is in part due to the media and due to their teachers who push them to think outside the box. Also events in today's world tend to strip them of their innocence.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”