Tom Robbins interview

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

suki

Tom Robbins interview

Unread postby suki » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:58 am

A recent interview with Mr Robbins...

(Moderate language)

"There's certainly no reason why anyone should feel compelled to read me. As Hermann Hesse pointed out, "The magic theatre is not for everyone." When a reader does complete one of my novels, I suppose I'd like them to feel much as they might as if they'd just attended a Fellini film or a Grateful Dead concert; which is to say, that they'd encountered the life force in a large, irrepressible and unpredictable manner, and that as a result, their sense of wonder has been awakened and their personal vision expanded.

If unrestrained, I might describe my books as hallucinogens, aphrodisiacs, mood elevators, intellectual garage door openers, and metaphysical trash compactors. They'll do everything except rotate your tires.

As a novelist, my goal has been to twine images and ideas into big subversive pretzels of life, death, and goofiness with the hope that they might help keep the world lively and give it the flexibility to endure. Now, having said all that, I should confess that I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I rarely indulge in self-analysis and I'm as surprised as anyone else by what seeps out of the end of my pen."

http://www.bookmunch.co.uk/view.php?id=1628
"Life was Finnegan's Wake, to be sure, except for those times when it was Marvel Comics."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:31 am

Thank you, suki! :cool: One of our favorite authors around ONBC.

I love this quote. Very Robbinsesque!

If unrestrained, I might describe my books as hallucinogens, aphrodisiacs, mood elevators, intellectual garage door openers, and metaphysical trash compactors. They'll do everything except rotate your tires.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

karla

Unread postby karla » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:33 am

Certainly applies to Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:40 am

They are intellectual garage door openers alright. Thanks Suki. :thanks!: As always, it's a trip to read Robbins. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:26 pm

Thanks Suki! I love Robbins' books and his descriptions are perfect! :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

JD101

Unread postby JD101 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:24 pm

Wow! He talks just like he writes! :bounce: I giggled through that whole little blurb.
"The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone you can never have." ~ Unknown

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:52 pm

Thanks Suki..that was a good chuckle..Zorba the Buddha :-O You can see why Johnny would be attracted to him...I love the pretzel analogy.Johnny uses the word 'goofy' too :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:13 pm

I just ordered a few of his book on amazon today. They had them used some as low as 1.89 I got:

"Even Cowgirls Get the Blues"
"Skinny Legs and All"
"Wild Ducks Flying Backward"
"Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas"
"Another Roadside Attraction"

all of these excluding Wild Ducks Flying Backwards were under 5.00 Wild Ducks I think is the last one he released but I got it used hardback for 11.99.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:20 pm

Veronica wrote:I just ordered a few of his book on amazon today. They had them used some as low as 1.89 I got:

"Skinny Legs and All"

all of these excluding Wild Ducks Flying Backwards were under 5.00 Wild Ducks I think is the last one he released but I got it used hardback for 11.99.

Good deals there V. I've read SLAA and HAIFP, I really liked them both. Weird stuff, Tom Robbins kind of weird that is. I'm currently reading his new one, which is a collection of his essays over the years. I've found those interesting too. He can take an ordinary topic and turn it on it's head!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:29 pm

KYwoman wrote:
Veronica wrote:I just ordered a few of his book on amazon today. They had them used some as low as 1.89 I got:

"Skinny Legs and All"

Good deals there V. I've read SLAA and HAIFP, I really liked them both. Weird stuff, Tom Robbins kind of weird that is. I'm currently reading his new one, which is a collection of his essays over the years. I've found those interesting too. He can take an ordinary topic and turn it on it's head!

glad to hear that! I couldnt resist those low prices. more on my shelf. :blush:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:45 pm

Kywoman wrote: I'm currently reading his new one, which is a collection of his essays over the years. I've found those interesting too. He can take an ordinary topic and turn it on it's head!

That is a perfect way to put it! :cool: Something Hunter excelled at as well. I have heard good things about the new book. I like the idea that I can read a bit here and there, put it down and come back to it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:54 pm

KYwoman wrote: He can take an ordinary topic and turn it on it's head!

Verbal gymnastics indeed! :rotflmao:

I wish I had time to read more of his books. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:48 pm

"Skinny Legs and All"

I've read all of those except for "Skinny Legs and All," and you will enjoy them. The way he writes is just a little twisted, so it makes you think further, explore a little.
My favourite book of his is "Jitterbug Perfume." I have felt like reading it again lately and I am a bit bummed out because my copy is packed in a box somewhere. I'll have to go search out a used copy on the street.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:04 pm

QueenofKings wrote:My favourite book of his is "Jitterbug Perfume." I have felt like reading it again lately and I am a bit bummed out because my copy is packed in a box somewhere. I'll have to go search out a used copy on the street.

I loved Jitterbug Perfume too QoKs! Great book. I haven't read any that you got V except for parts of Wild Ducks. You should add Villa Incognito to the list of Robbins books. That one was good too! :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:35 pm

luvdepp wrote:
QueenofKings wrote:My favourite book of his is "Jitterbug Perfume." I have felt like reading it again lately and I am a bit bummed out because my copy is packed in a box somewhere. I'll have to go search out a used copy on the street.

I loved Jitterbug Perfume too QoKs! Great book. I haven't read any that you got V except for parts of Wild Ducks. You should add Villa Incognito to the list of Robbins books. That one was good too! :cool:

I have that one already. Mort made me get that one. :mort2:

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”