New book by Tom Robbins

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

luvdepp

New book by Tom Robbins

Unread postby luvdepp » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:10 pm

Amazon sent me an email notifying me of a new Tom Robbins book getting released August 30th. Sounds interesting...

Wild Ducks Flying Backward
Tom Robbins
Release Date: (August 30, 2005)
Book Description
Known for his meaty seriocomic novels–expansive works that are simultaneously lowbrow and highbrow–Tom Robbins has also published over the years a number of short pieces, predominantly nonfiction. His travel articles, essays, and tributes to actors, musicians, sex kittens, and thinkers have appeared in publications ranging from Esquire to Harper’s, from Playboy to the New York Times, High Times, and Life. A generous sampling, collected here for the first time and including works as diverse as scholarly art criticism and some decidedly untypical country-music lyrics, Wild Ducks Flying Backward offers a rare sweeping overview of the eclectic sensibility of an American original.

Whether he is rocking with the Doors, depoliticizing Picasso’s Guernica, lamenting the angst-ridden state of contemporary literature, or drooling over tomato sandwiches and a species of womanhood he calls “the genius waitress,” Robbins’s briefer writings often exhibit the same five traits that perhaps best characterize his novels: an imaginative wit, a cheerfully brash disregard for convention, a sweetly nasty eroticism, a mystical but keenly observant eye, and an irrepressible love of language.

Embedded in this primarily journalistic compilation are a couple of short stories, a sheaf of largely unpublished poems, and an off-beat assessment of our divided nation. And wherever we open Wild Ducks Flying Backward, we’re apt to encounter examples of the intently serious playfulness that percolates from the mind of a self-described “romantic Zen hedonist” and “stray dog in the banquet halls of culture.”
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:44 pm

Sounds interesting, Luvdepp. Thanks for the heads up. I think it could actually be doable for me to read that book. I could read a sampling here and there whenever I had time--similar to HST's various books containing his letters.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:17 pm

I agree, Liz. That sounds like one that can be picked up and put down as you have time, except you would probably get totally hooked on it! Thanks, luvdepp for the heads up! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:17 pm

Yes, thanks for the news. This does sound very interesting. I'd pay for it just to read his "off-beat assessment of our divided nation." LOL

Guess I'll be going to amazon later. Sigh! My stack is beginning to grow to look like some of you have described your own leaning towers of books! But, as you say, Liz, it looks as if you could happily read at random in this one. (Every time I plonk down more money on a new hardcover book I just keep reminding myself that I used to come up with $40 a week for that carton of cigarettes that I no longer buy! :angel:)
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:21 pm

I like your creative financing ideas, Bix... :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:49 pm

Bix wrote:Yes, thanks for the news. This does sound very interesting. I'd pay for it just to read his "off-beat assessment of our divided nation." LOL

Guess I'll be going to amazon later. Sigh! My stack is beginning to grow to look like some of you have described your own leaning towers of books! But, as you say, Liz, it looks as if you could happily read at random in this one. (Every time I plonk down more money on a new hardcover book I just keep reminding myself that I used to come up with $40 a week for that carton of cigarettes that I no longer buy! :angel:)

Hey, hey, hey...me too! :highfive:

I had my last ciggie 2/27/05 @ 10:30 pm. :bounce: When I quit smoking, I decided I would take that money and do with it as I pleased. So, that's exactly how I purchased my JD DVD collection, and the new, eclectic addtions to my library. :eyebrow:

Now, if I could just lose the 25 lbs I've gained...... :-/

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:34 am

Way to go, CarrieKY and Bix! :highfive: Now if we could just get Johnny to do it. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:03 am

Love the title,luvdepp..a great visual...Sometimes I feel like those ducks :eyebrow:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:31 am

CarrieKY that cracks me up. Only a reformed smoker can appreciate the fact that you know the exact date and time you had your last cigarette. For me it was 11/04/97 at 10:00 p.m. :highfive: I'll never start again because I never want to go through quitting again! :freaked: (But it was definitely worth it!)

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”