It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: FI Questioin #30: And in the end...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:29 am 

Here it is, last question... :bawl:

If you had to summarize the theme(s) of Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates for someone, what would you tell them?

(If you all have any topics that you would like to bring up that we haven't covered, :-? please start a new thread beginning tomorrow! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:54 am 

Last question! :bawl:

I would just have to summarize it as a long strange trip! It's about everything. Life, love, lust, the CIA, the Catholic Church, religion in general, philosophy, curses, music, disability, transformation - you name it! I think one of the reasons so many of us found the ending less than satisfactory was because it left this question so difficult to answer - there seems no core meaning, no central message that you can come away with. So I would just have to say that it's a strange and hilarious trip full of linguistic gymnastics that will make your head spin!

Once again, my profound thanks to you, DITHOT and Liz, our fearless and tireless leaders. (Hope you are feeling better today, Liz - sorry to hear about your relapse!). Thanks for the great discussion! The hard work you put into the ONBC is obvious, and we are truly grateful for it. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Last edited by lumineuse on Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:36 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
I hate to see this end!!! :bawl: But all good things must.

BRAVO to DITHOT and Liz!!!!!!!!! Fantastic job managing all this with tidbits, pics, questions, good discussions. Kudos to the ONBC team. LUV YA :cool:

I agree with lumineuse, this was a strange trip and every turn and angle brought with it even more strangness, hilarity, verbal onslaught, questions, etc. But I went with it and bought into the whole story. Cultural differences, mysticism, religious dogma, covert operations, love, lust, longing, adventure. What else could one need? I'll miss Switters, inspite of (or because of) ALL his foibles.

One of my favorite reads in a long time. I've read many a book and much of them can be a downer. This one had me laughing out loud from the very first pages when he was describing that naked parrot and it's scabrous claws. I relish my fun reads, because I need a good laugh, and often!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:50 pm 

It's about how to value experience more than innocence, and how to live without faith until you can take a final leap for someone you really love.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:24 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Lumineuse, I am feeling better today, thank you.

Endora wrote:
It's about how to value experience more than innocence, and how to live without faith until you can take a final leap for someone you really love.

Endora, I think I'll explain it that way when I inform my hometown book club that it's my pick in April. And that makes me think I want to add another question to the last question:

Would you recommend it to your friends?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:32 pm 
JDZ Moderator

lumineuse wrote:
Once again, my profound thanks to you, DITHOT and Liz, our fearless and tireless leaders. Thanks for the great discussion! The hard work you put into the ONBC is obvious, and we are truly grateful for it. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

We do it because we love it and because we have such wonderful discussions with you guys. You guys need to pat yourselves on the backs for contributing as you do to the discussions. :thumbsup: Afterall, what would I do without you to answer the questions I didn't know the answers to? :lol:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:49 pm 

Endora wrote:

Hmmmm.... I didn't really get that message I guess. It seemed to me that nothing had really changed for Switters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:25 pm 

lumineuse wrote:
Endora wrote:

Hmmmm.... I didn't really get that message I guess. It seemed to me that nothing had really changed for Switters.

Ah, but he had made his choice. He could have stayed inthe convent I suppose, but he moved on.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:51 pm 

Endora wrote:

Endora I agree with that, but he didn't stay with Domino, at the first chance he took off for Bangkok, the Patbong girls and the C.R.A.F.T. Club. It seems he ended up pretty much where he started. Maybe a little wiser and with a slightly different perspective, nothing much really changed for him.

I would recommend this book to younger people than me :-| and I think someone with no family or big responsibilities would understand Switters and his journey far better than me!
axelsgirl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:52 pm 

There are a lot of themes running amok here, eh? Free will, the invasion of the media in our lives, religion and my favorite, not taking ourselves so seriously (Plus I wanted to use Sairlor Boy one more time!) :grin: This was my first Robbins book and I loved his writing and his humor. I haven't really laughed out loud that many times while reading a book in a long time. When it all comes down to it, I guess I have to agree with Sailor Boy! :rotflmao:

Quote:
liz wrote: We do it because we love it and because we have such wonderful discussions with you guys. You guys need to pat yourselves on the backs for contributing as you do to the discussions. Afterall, what would I do without you to answer the questions I didn't know the answers to? :lol:

I always end up getting so much out of our discussions, including like Liz said, the answers to questions I had or seeing something in an entirely new way. Whenever we end a discussion I feel like one of my good friends is moving away. I know I can go visit but it just won't be the same every day. :tear: Thanks for another great effort Noodlemantras! :grouphug:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:39 pm 

lumineuse wrote:
Last question! :bawl: ...Once again, my profound thanks to you, DITHOT and Liz, our fearless and tireless leaders. (Hope you are feeling better today, Liz - sorry to hear about your relapse!). Thanks for the great discussion! The hard work you put into the ONBC is obvious, and we are truly grateful for it. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

I agree wholeheartedly, lumineuse. I've been working too much lately and only had time to check on the discussion every other day or so. Although I missed participating, y'all outdid yourselves. DITHOT, I think we should all remember Sailor Boy as we move through our daily grind. "Peeple of zee wurl, relax" is as good a motto as any, I say. Thanks again, everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:41 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
There are a lot of themes running amok here, eh? Free will, the invasion of the media in our lives, religion and my favorite, not taking ourselves so seriously (Plus I wanted to use Sairlor Boy one more time!) :grin: This was my first Robbins book and I loved his writing and his humor. I haven't really laughed out loud that many times while reading a book in a long time. When it all comes down to it, I guess I have to agree with Sailor Boy! :rotflmao:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Liz-ONBC/ONBC/SailorBoy.jpg[/img

Quote:
liz wrote: We do it because we love it and because we have such wonderful discussions with you guys. You guys need to pat yourselves on the backs for contributing as you do to the discussions. Afterall, what would I do without you to answer the questions I didn't know the answers to? :lol:

I always end up getting so much out of our discussions, including like Liz said, the answers to questions I had or seeing something in an entirely new way. Whenever we end a discussion I feel like one of my good friends is moving away. I know I can go visit but it just won't be the same every day. :tear: Thanks for another great effort Noodlemantras! :grouphug:

I agree, DIDHOT. It is like letting a friend go. Fascinating how we can agree about a book and yet focus on different things. For me, one theme was, living life rather than just maintenance. A lot of other themes seemed to be an exploration of what makes life worth living and a human being worth knowing. He comes up with quite a list, I think.
Thanks for a wonderful discussion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:48 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

Themes running amok? That's for sure! I also loved the theme of not taking ourselves too seriously. We need to remember that one! :lol: This was also my first TR book, although I've since read Villa Incognito and have a couple of others that were recommended...looking forward to more thought-provoking reading and laughs!
Thanks for the great discussion Liz and DITHOT ~ looking forward to CATCF!
:bounce:

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:17 pm 
JDZ Moderator

scarlett wrote:
DITHOT, I think we should all remember Sailor Boy as we move through our daily grind. "Peeple of zee wurl, relax" is as good a motto as any, I say. Thanks again, everyone.

I know I will, Scarlett. There have been many times I've wanted to come out with those words around my friends but stopped myself, realizing they would probably think I was nuts, being that they haven't read the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:27 pm 

Just popping in to add my gratitude to the moderators and to everyone who contributed to the discussion. I wish I had more time to participate, but I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's insights. This was a blast! Thanks again Liz and DITHOT!

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next