Fierce Invalids Question #27 - Supreme Knowledge

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Fierce Invalids Question #27 - Supreme Knowledge

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:36 am

Pg. 442. "Supreme knowledge is supremely dangerous, ultimate mysteries remain ultimately mysterious. Beware the delusional rationalist who argues otherwise."

What say you to that?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:30 am

"Supreme knowledge is supremely dangerous, ultimate mysteries remain ultimately mysterious. Beware the delusional rationalist who argues otherwise."

Lets see if I can get the ole thinking cap on this morning.....

Im guessing he is meaning the power one has with knowledge can be harmful. You can be the dangerous one or others may want to harm you because of it.

If its the ultimate mystery it cant be solved otherwise it isnt a mystery is it?

someone who would want to argue over these two statements would need to get a life....lolol I dont have any thoughts on the last statement. What say someone else on that one. lolol

Glad your feeling better Liz! :disco:
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:09 pm

Knowing the little I do of Robbins's political bent, I'd take it as a warning against self-righteous, self-delusional intolerance. "Knowing" one is right leads to forcing others to agree, which leads to inquisitions, witch-hunts, crusades . . .

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:47 pm

I think there is meant to be mystery in life. It is in our nautre to try and solve mysteries and to question but once one is solved there is always another to take its place. It is what keeps us reading and learning and searching. More ofthen than not it's the journey not the final destination that makes the trip worthwhile. I wouldn't want to know everything... ( :shhh: Dont' tell my kids that...)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

surfmom

Unread postby surfmom » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:57 pm

Knowing the little I do of Robbins's political bent, I'd take it as a warning against self-righteous, self-delusional intolerance. "Knowing" one is right leads to forcing others to agree, which leads to inquisitions, witch-hunts, crusades . . ._________________

I totally agree with you, Fansmom. The ones that sit way to the right or left with all the answers for everyone else can create ideologies that become destructive, judgemental, and "superior".

"Asking yourself these deeper questions opens up new ways of being in the world. It brings in a breath of fresh air. If makes life more joyful. The real trick to life is not to be in the know, but to be in the mystery." -- Fred Alan Wolf, Ph.D.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:04 pm

From Monty Python's "Penguin on the Telly" sketch. Picture two Python "women"--men in frumpy drag--

"It's funny that penguin being there innit? What's it doing there?"
"Perhaps it's from the zoo."
"Which zoo?"
"How should I know which zoo? I'm not Doctor bloody Bernowski."
"How does Doctor Bernowski know which zoo it came from?"
"He knows everything."
"Oooh, I wouldn't like that, that'd take all the mystery out of life."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:34 am

You know, I'll be honest--I don't have a clue what the answer to this question is. I'm still in a flu fog. :hypnotic: But I do like all of your answers. They all make a heck of a lot of sense. And Surfmom and Fansmom, I really like your quotes. They connect back to the topic about living life to the fullest. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:51 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I think there is meant to be mystery in life. It is in our nautre to try and solve mysteries and to question but once one is solved there is always another to take its place. It is what keeps us reading and learning and searching. More ofthen than not it's the journey not the final destination that makes the trip worthwhile. I wouldn't want to know everything... ( :shhh: Dont' tell my kids that...)

I agree with you, DIDHOT. It seems to be part of human nature to long for the ultimate. In experience and/or knowledge. Climbing that mountain, or reaching the Pole, or going to the moon. Scientific advancements, made despite ethical worries, such as cloning. And then there is how knowledge was used to make bombs. Of course, there are so many wonderful advancements, but some of them are supremely dangerous. People want to solve the ultimate mysteries. However, we haven't managed it yet, really, which I think is a good thing. It is in our nature to strive for knowledge - at least, for some people, as Switters reflects on, at some point - but the spiritual element of life has to be mysterious, in some ways. The sense of awe and wonder is also something that people need.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Endora

Re: Fierce Invalids Question #27 - Supreme Knowledge

Unread postby Endora » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:32 am

Liz wrote:Pg. 442. "Supreme knowledge is supremely dangerous, ultimate mysteries remain ultimately mysterious. Beware the delusional rationalist who argues otherwise."

What say you to that?

There is nothing more dangerous than a person who thinks he or she has supreme knowledge. Those people end up being both smug and intolerant. As soon as people (and here I'm thinking about politicians amongst others) become convinced they know everything, they give themselves the moral freedom to impose their will on others without being accountable. With so many holocaust events this week, I think we should consider very carefully the results of people assumimg they have supreme knowledge.

Sorry about the rant, again.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:48 am

I'm not sure I even know what "supreme knowledge" means. :-? If it means knowing it all, I have met some know-it-all type people in my life and I wouldn't like to be the way they are.

It seems to me that if we knew everything, keeping that sense of beauty and romantacism we discussed earlier this week would be difficult if not impossible. And perhaps knowing everything would be a crushing burden.

Garth Brooks song The Dance comes to mind -- if " he had known the way it all would go, the way it all would end, he could have missed the pain but he'd have missed the dance." I think we need the sense of mystery and adventure to spice life up a little.

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”