Fierce Invalids Question #25- Getting Back to JD....

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Fierce Invalids Question #25- Getting Back to JD....

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:02 am

In the Seattle Weekly interview Robbins says:

I haven't voluntarily read a review of one of my books since 1977, though I've had a couple stuck in my face. But in a New York Times review of the one before last, the writer said something like, "Robbins needs to make up his mind between whether he wants to be funny or serious." And I remember thinking, 'I'll make my mind up when God makes up his.' How can you read the newspapers every day or watch TV news and not see that the world is simultaneously most tragically serious and ridiculously funny? If I have learned anything in my life, it is that there is no wisdom without playfulness. All that the truly wise teachers I have met have in common is a kind of childlike playfulness that seems to go hand in hand with enlightenment.

Sounds a lot like someone we know. Do you think this attitude is one of the things that attracts us to JD?

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:13 pm

Most definately! Johnny reminds me to laugh & let life roll on, keep moving forward.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:51 pm

Veronica wrote:Most definately! Johnny reminds me to laugh & let life roll on, keep moving forward.

Absolutely, And also to not take ourselves too seriously, to remain a child at heart, and to take notice of the absurdities in life!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:57 pm

lumineuse wrote:
Veronica wrote:Most definately! Johnny reminds me to laugh & let life roll on, keep moving forward.

Absolutely, And also to not take ourselves too seriously, to remain a child at heart, and to take notice of the absurdities in life!

As mentioned in the Rolling Stone piece posted today

And from Depp himself, from deep within himself, when faced with his fears, doubts, anxieties, uncertainties and ambivalences, which are legion: "F*** it!"
"I've ended up saying it in life a lot and in the work a lot, and I've always found it very helpful," he said. "Yes," he went on, between sips of red wine, " 'F*** it,' over the years, has always been pretty soothing."

Exactly right. I'm glad he doesn't take life and the whole fame thing that seriously. A lesson for us all sometimes?
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:08 pm

Most definitely. It is the combination that is so appealing. The childlike playfulness is very attractive, but with the other to balance it as well, he's a person who seems to have it just about right. Good to be around, with a mind and spirit we can respect and try to emulate. That's what's so inspirational. If he were only gorgeous, I'd never have become a fan. I'd just have drooled when I saw him on TV. It was his ability that made me take a closer look and his personal qualities have made me stick.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:21 pm

suec wrote: If he were only gorgeous, I'd never have become a fan. I'd just have drooled when I saw him on TV. It was his ability that made me take a closer look and his personal qualities have made me stick.

Yes, it's good to be reminded of this, Suec . His gorgeousness can make us forget his other qualities at times. And there's so much more to him to lift him above the rest, as you say.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:50 pm

Robbins: I haven't voluntarily read a review of one of my books since 1977, though I've had a couple stuck in my face. But in a New York Times review of the one before last, the writer said something like, "Robbins needs to make up his mind between whether he wants to be funny or serious." And I remember thinking, 'I'll make my mind up when God makes up his.' How can you read the newspapers every day or watch TV news and not see that the world is simultaneously most tragically serious and ridiculously funny? If I have learned anything in my life, it is that there is no wisdom without playfulness. All that the truly wise teachers I have met have in common is a kind of childlike playfulness that seems to go hand in hand with enlightenment.

The part about not reading a review reminds me of Johnny and his statement about hating to watch dailies or even his own films. Just do the work and move on. You're right about what we find so appealing about him, the ability to laugh, not take himself or the world too seriously, but keep tyring to improve yourself and the world. A fine goal to be sure! :cool:

Johnny: And from Depp himself, from deep within himself, when faced with his fears, doubts, anxieties, uncertainties and ambivalences, which are legion: "F*** it!"
"I've ended up saying it in life a lot and in the work a lot, and I've always found it very helpful," he said. "Yes," he went on, between sips of red wine, " 'F*** it,' over the years, has always been pretty soothing."

Something I am learning, thanks Johnny! :disco: Cheers!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:50 pm

Endora wrote:
And from Depp himself, from deep within himself, when faced with his fears, doubts, anxieties, uncertainties and ambivalences, which are legion: "F*** it!"

Exactly right. I'm glad he doesn't take life and the whole fame thing that seriously. A lesson for us all sometimes?

Thanks for sharing that, Endora. :cool: He has a way with words, doesn't he? :shocked: :lol:

suec wrote:Most definitely. It is the combination that is so appealing. The childlike playfulness is very attractive, but with the other to balance it as well, he's a person who seems to have it just about right. Good to be around, with a mind and spirit we can respect and try to emulate. That's what's so inspirational. If he were only gorgeous, I'd never have become a fan. I'd just have drooled when I saw him on TV. It was his ability that made me take a closer look and his personal qualities have made me stick.

I have to agree with you, Suec. He is much more than just a pretty face. Otherwise, I would not be the fan that I have become.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:07 pm

Liz wrote:
suec wrote:Most definitely. It is the combination that is so appealing. The childlike playfulness is very attractive, but with the other to balance it as well, he's a person who seems to have it just about right. Good to be around, with a mind and spirit we can respect and try to emulate. That's what's so inspirational. If he were only gorgeous, I'd never have become a fan. I'd just have drooled when I saw him on TV. It was his ability that made me take a closer look and his personal qualities have made me stick.

I have to agree with you, Suec. He is much more than just a pretty face. Otherwise, I would not be the fan that I have become.

Yes he is so much more than a pretty face. The outside is what gets your attention at first. But it's what's inside, the real person that he is, that really makes us stay true fans. I would never have stayed interested if it had just been the drool factor. Although that is a nice side benefit. :grin:
I think his attitude of living life to the fullest, having fun doing it, and sometimes just having to say "F**k It" is a pretty good outlook on life and something to aspire to in our own lives.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Absolutely! It is one of things that attracts me to most of my close friends. He is absolutely right about the world being tragic and hilarious. This is another one of those contradictions that Robbins seems to love so much.

Sometimes life would be really hard to take without an appreciation of the hilarious and the absurd.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:37 pm

larkwoodgirl wrote: Sometimes life would be really hard to take without an appreciation of the hilarious and the absurd.

So true! I think End of Time and Robbins would agree...

From FI Question #4: "Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it had been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious and immature." ~ Tom Robbins
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:11 pm

Larkwoodgirl wrote:Absolutely! It is one of things that attracts me to most of my close friends. He is absolutely right about the world being tragic and hilarious. This is another one of those contradictions that Robbins seems to love so much.

Sometimes life would be really hard to take without an appreciation of the hilarious and the absurd.

this reminds me of what I heard on the news this morning. A lady, 5 mo pregnant was driving on a highway near Cleveland. she went under an overpass of another highway & looked up and a semitruck was flying through the air & landed on top of her car. She was ok and was being interviewed by Katie Courik. (sp?) She was cracking jokes with the policeman right after it happened. Katie asked har why she found humor in something that was so terrible & incredible. She said because half of her couldnt believe how rediculas it all was. she said it was almost in slow motion watching that semi flying through the air at her car. then the other half of her wanted to burst into to tears. The semi truck driver and her unborn baby are ok, as well. Its amazing.
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

axelsgirl

Unread postby axelsgirl » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:22 pm

That attitude sure attracts me to Johnny. He just tries to live life the way he wants to and isn't at all interested in the Hollywood thing. He's said that he doesn't know who's hot, who's with who who's doing what nor does he care. He has such a great sense of humor , just look at the last two awards shows he's attended and his comments. He takes his work very seriously, does a lot of research for the characters he portrays and gives stunning performances. Also he cares about what is happening in the world, not just politically , but just look what he did for the tsunami relief effort, Make a Wish,etc. Very :drool: worthy indeed , I'm not sure which attracts me the most, great looks or social consciousness!
"Yeah, well, let's keep on truckin'!"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:21 am

axelsgirl wrote:That attitude sure attracts me to Johnny. He just tries to live life the way he wants to and isn't at all interested in the Hollywood thing. He's said that he doesn't know who's hot, who's with who who's doing what nor does he care. He has such a great sense of humor , just look at the last two awards shows he's attended and his comments. He takes his work very seriously, does a lot of research for the characters he portrays and gives stunning performances. Also he cares about what is happening in the world, not just politically , but just look what he did for the tsunami relief effort, Make a Wish,etc. Very :drool: worthy indeed , I'm not sure which attracts me the most, great looks or social consciousness!

It's a tough call isn't it, Axelsgirl. Here's the thing about Johnny, as you said, he takes every job he gets seriously and does it to the best of his ability--which we know is far beyond the rest of Hollywood. He adores his kids, Van and his mom. From all reports He's a loyal brother, friend and amiable co-worker. Yet he doesn't take himself so seriously. He knows how to laugh at life and be playful. If you ask me, he's a very well-rounded individual.

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”