Fierce Invalids Question #24 - Speaking of Novelists....

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Fierce Invalids Question #24 - Speaking of Novelists....

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:04 am

Are you reminded of any other writers when you read this book?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 am

I would have to say I have never read anything that was written quite like how Robbins writes. His description & off the wall moments are one of a kind for me. God help us if there is another one like him. lol
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:18 am

The only author that came to mind for me was Hunter Thompson. I think Robbins is a little more artistic and descriptive with his words though.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:27 am

Veronica wrote:I would have to say I have never read anything that was written quite like how Robbins writes. His description & off the wall moments are one of a kind for me. God help us if there is another one like him. lol

I wouldn't mind it at all. But then he wouldn't be unique, would he? Maybe a female version would be good. :cool:

And Gypsylee, I agree with you. In certain spots in the book, he was a little Hunteresque, like on pg. 63:

Despite his distate for the incessant teeming that characterized tropical South America, he was by no means insensitive to natural wonders, and he felt he ought somehow to take advantage of this opportunity. There was a fly in the ointment, however.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:48 am

Liz wrote:
Veronica wrote:I would have to say I have never read anything that was written quite like how Robbins writes. His description & off the wall moments are one of a kind for me. God help us if there is another one like him. lol

I wouldn't mind it at all. But then he wouldn't be unique, would he? Maybe a female version would be good. :cool:

And Gypsylee, I agree with you. In certain spots in the book, he was a little Hunteresque, like on pg. 63:

Despite his distate for the incessant teeming that characterized tropical South America, he was by no means insensitive to natural wonders, and he felt he ought somehow to take advantage of this opportunity. There was a fly in the ointment, however.

I am trying to think of a book I have read from a female author & I cant think of any. Isnt that odd?

I did think of Hunter. He is prolly the closest to him that I have read that has that kind of an imagination but even Hunter doesnt match Tom Robbins.
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

luvdepp

Re: Fierce Invalids Question #24 - Speaking of Novelists....

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:25 pm

Liz wrote:Are you reminded of any other writers when you read this book?

When I finished reading FIHFHC, I read Good Omens by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman. I don't think the styles of writing are necessarily alike, but the way that ideas are put out there and then built upon and taken off in so many different ways is similar. Good Omens was very British in it's humor. Like FI, I had to really concentrate on what I was reading and sometimes re-read whole paragraphs to get the true gist of what was being said. Very funny book like FI.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

surfmom

Unread postby surfmom » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:29 pm

Jimmy Buffet. TR does a much, much better job, but Jimmy has the fun metaphors, funky storylines, odd characters, and throws in his off beat politcal perspectives.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:07 pm

I thought of Hunter, too. And maybe John Toole and David Sedaris, although no one is as wackily descriptive as Robbins. In some interview I read, Johnny compared Terry Southern to Hunter - something to the effect that they both made him laugh out loud. I haven't read anything by Terry Southern - anyone else?
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:13 pm

Veronica wrote:I am trying to think of a book I have read from a female author & I cant think of any. Isnt that odd?

I realized about a month ago that we have not read one book by a female author here at ONBC--nor do we have any plans to read any by female authors at this point. On the other hand, more than half of the books we read for my hometown book club are by female authors.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:18 pm

surfmom wrote:Jimmy Buffet. TR does a much, much better job, but Jimmy has the fun metaphors, funky storylines, odd characters, and throws in his off beat politcal perspectives.

I'm so out of it, Surfmom. I didn't even know that Jimmy Buffett was an author. After checking him out just now I find he's written a book entitled, A Pirate Looks at Fifty. :capnjack:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:21 pm

For me, Robbins style has been very unique and I have a hard time comparing him to other authors. Like you all, Hunter did come to mind especially with the anit-establishment, anti-media type themes running through the book. This is the passage I marked as I was reading:

“America’s pretty violent and repressive these days. But as my pal Skeeter Washington might put it, it’s a ‘bouncy’ violence, a ‘bouncy’ repression, often ribboned with exuberance and cheer. Believe it or not, America’s a very insecure country. It’s been scared into a kind of self-Imposed subjugation by the imagined threat of Communi9sm and then by the imagined threat of drugs. Maestra calls us an ‘abusive democracy,’ one in which everybody wants to control everybody else. Lately, even tolerance, itself, has been usurped by the sanctimonious and opportunistic, and turned into an instrument for intimidation, bullying and extortion. Yet the U.S. continues to pound its sternum and boast that it’s the home of the brave and the land of the free.”
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:08 pm

Liz wrote:
Veronica wrote:I am trying to think of a book I have read from a female author & I cant think of any. Isnt that odd?

I realized about a month ago that we have not read one book by a female author here at ONBC--nor do we have any plans to read any by female authors at this point. On the other hand, more than half of the books we read for my hometown book club are by female authors.

My local book group focuses on female authors, with a few men thrown in for good measure, as it were. I've often thought Johnny's bookcase drips heavily of testosterone. Then again I'm sure he would think my book shelves were laden with estrogen. I've mentioned this before, but I would really like to know what female authors 'float his boat'.

As far as other authors, male or female, writing like TR, I agree that HST comes closest, but he's more biting and TR seems more playful and fun. I'm glad he's not a cookie cutter writer. It's what I like about him. I also laughed out loud at some of the passages in this book!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

fansmom

Me? Off topic?

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:45 pm

Wait, V, are you saying you've never read a book by a woman? You at least need to read Janet Evanovich for her gratuitious references to Johnny:

From Metro Girl
"What's your idea of fun?"
"Shopping for shoes. Having dinner in a nice restaurant. Any movie with Johnny Depp in it."
"Honey, that's all girl stuff. And Depp's done some pretty weird s**t."

From Ten Big Ones,
"... Lula said, looking past me, through the window to the sidewalk. I figured they were looking at either Johnny Depp or Ranger. My money was on Ranger. The door opened, and I glanced over my shoulder, just in case, not wanting to miss Johnny Depp. But then not entirely disappointed when it turned out to be Ranger..."

Plus there's the frequent Zone topic of whether Johnny should play Morelli or Ranger if the series is ever made into movies. (I vote Morelli.)

Believe me, if we ever get to a chick lit selection on the ONBC, (ha!) I'll be ready.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Me? Off topic?

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:11 pm

fansmom wrote:

Wait, V, are you saying you've never read a book by a woman? You at least need to read Janet Evanovich for her gratuitious references to Johnny:

From Metro Girl
"What's your idea of fun?"
"Shopping for shoes. Having dinner in a nice restaurant. Any movie with Johnny Depp in it."
"Honey, that's all girl stuff. And Depp's done some pretty weird s**t."

From Ten Big Ones,
"... Lula said, looking past me, through the window to the sidewalk. I figured they were looking at either Johnny Depp or Ranger. My money was on Ranger. The door opened, and I glanced over my shoulder, just in case, not wanting to miss Johnny Depp. But then not entirely disappointed when it turned out to be Ranger..."

Plus there's the frequent Zone topic of whether Johnny should play Morelli or Ranger if the series is ever made into movies. (I vote Morelli.)

Believe me, if we ever get to a chick lit selection on the ONBC, (ha!) I'll be ready.

I'm still waiting for that interview where he reveals that he's discovered Barbara Kingsolver.

axelsgirl

Unread postby axelsgirl » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:42 pm

Wow, no discussions on books by women?! He must read the occasional book authored by a woman.....
Anyway, how about Douglas Adams, HITCHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY I had to think way, way back to college for that one. He had a certain way of looking at the world not unlike Robbins.
Hunter Thompson certainly, but I agree with KYwoman that his style is more biting.
axelsgirl
"Yeah, well, let's keep on truckin'!"

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”