FI Question #21: The eye of the beholder

by Tom Robbins

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

FI Question #21: The eye of the beholder

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:41 am

A topic that comes up frequently is beauty. Switters claims that “beauty’s great purpose was always to be purposeless, that its use to society lay in its very uselessness…that its lack of function was precisely what leant it the power to scoop us out of context,…and provide experiences available in no other area of our lives, not even the spiritual.”

Masked Beauty sees beauty as a burden. What is the role of beauty in society and how is it defined?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

rustyred

Unread postby rustyred » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:59 pm

Society recognizes the" skin beauty" first - babies and young children will migrate to a cute face, one with a nice smile, pretty eyes etc, and not one that is covered with a beard or scarred - etc. As will an adult choose between a beautiful baby and one "that only a mother would love"
Beauty turns heads and recieves immediate recognition and approval. A huge folly with our society. To live in a beautiful body but wanting to also have a beautiful mind must be extremely difficult as no one would believe you have anything else to offer other than your outward beauty=society doesn't need to look further for something to approve, Johnny is my example of that.
The average or physically challenged person is treated differently and must work for his /her recognition - Harder yes - but far more meaningful for one's personal development - if one can overcome the initial feeling of disapproval..
To wrap up my wandering thought = Shel Siverstein says it best

The Long Haired Boy

There was a boy in our town with long hair –
I mean really long hair-
And everybody pointed at him
And laughed at him
And made fun of him.
And when he walked down the street
The people would roar
And stick their tongues out
And make funny faces
And run in and slam their door
And shout at him from the window
Until he couldn’t stand it anymore.
So he sat down and cried
Till his whole body shook too.
And it flapped-
And flapped-
And he lifted-
And flew-
Do you like me........now?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:42 pm

rustyred wrote: beauty=society doesn't need to look further for something to approve, Johnny is my example of that.

A sad commentary on society indeed that we value the form over the function. I think Masked Beauty would agree. I think the function of beauty in our world is to make us stop and appreciate something out of the ordinary and to give us pleasure when we need lifting up. However to admire a person for that reason only is shallow and unfair to that person.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

rustyred

Unread postby rustyred » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:10 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
rustyred wrote: beauty=society doesn't need to look further for something to approve, Johnny is my example of that.

A sad commentary on society indeed that we value the form over the function. I think Masked Beauty would agree. I think the function of beauty in our world is to make us stop and appreciate something out of the ordinary and to give us pleasure when we need lifting up. However to admire a person for that reason only is shallow and unfair to that person.

iIt is very shallow and unfortunately humans are very guitly of it. Many moons ago when I was a teen my best friend was a voluptous and gorgeous blond. Not only was she incredibly beautiful and shy she was also extremely bright and caring. More than once, she commented how she wished the girls wouldn't think she was a snob and that she felt the boys were only after her body, and didn;t care that she could carry an intelligent conversation She was horribly lonely in her beautiful body
I give her credit for having turned into a lovely thoughtful woman .
Do you like me........now?

Return to “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”