The Libertine Tidbit #27: For All You Dog Lovers Out There!

by Stephen Jeffreys

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The Libertine Tidbit #27: For All You Dog Lovers Out There!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:25 am

The King Charles Cavalier Spaniel

Charles II was deemed the "Merry Monarch." Despite all that he had been through, he was remarkably light-hearted. He had a fondness for the style of France and much of his decorating was modeled after French inspirations. An interesting legacy is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, the breed that would be named after the king's fondness for the dogs. The Cavalier is particularly associated with King Charles II after the Restoration, and there is a wealth of contemporary written and pictorial evidence which give an indication of the role they led in the Royal Court. Love of these little dogs appeared to run in the family, as in 1665, Henrietta d'Orleans, the favourite youngest sister of Charles, was painted by Mignard with her red and white Toy Spaniel. The day after Charles returned to England after his exile (25 May 1660), Samuel Pepys records in his diary:'The King was rowed ashore in the admirals barge, while I followed in a smaller boat with Mr Mansell, one of the footmen, and a dog that the King loved'. His courtiers did not always appreciate the King's love of his pets, which went everywhere with him, and a verse from the wit Lord Rochester tells that:

'In all affaires of Church and state
He very zealous is and able
Devout at prayers and sits up late
At the Cabal or Council Table
His very dog at Council Board
Sits grave and wise as any Lord'.

And Pepys also records that the King paid more attention to his dogs than to business at a Privy Council meeting. However, others DID appreciate his love of his spaniels, and Hugh Dalziel writes in 1881, in his book 'British Dogs' that 'The Merry Monarch did many more foolish things than take under his Royal care and favour, and thereby raising to Court, the beautiful toy spaniel which still bears his name'.

Source: http://www.madamebonancieux.com/charles_gen.html

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nomi

Unread postby nomi » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:09 am

"Cavies" are one of the most perfect dogs. Very smart, sweet and playful. They also come in black with gold markings, like a mini- Gordon Setter; the most perfect dog of all.
"We read books to find out who we are. What other people, real or imaginary, do and think and feel is an essential guide to our understanding of what we ourselves are and may become." -Ursula Le Guin

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:36 am

Noami says: "Cavies" are one of the most perfect dogs. Very smart, sweet and playful. They also come in black with gold markings, like a mini- Gordon Setter; the most perfect dog of all._________________

"Oh really?", said the border collie owner... ;-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:48 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Noami says: "Cavies" are one of the most perfect dogs. Very smart, sweet and playful. They also come in black with gold markings, like a mini- Gordon Setter; the most perfect dog of all._________________

ditto for me! 20 years and counting BCs!

Raven
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Sands

Unread postby Sands » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:21 pm

Well, I have a border collie and a spaniel, though she's a springer not a Cavalier King Charles, so I'm going to have to sit on the fence on this one! Actually I couldn't choose between them - they have such different temperaments but are both lovely dogs.

My daughter is crazy about 'cavies' though, which could work in my favour. She's not a great Johnny fan, but when she saw the pic of him with the dog she said she'd go and see The Libertine with me!
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:41 pm

But I tell my chocolate lab ten times a day that she's "the bestest pup".

Very entertaining tidbits this week, DITHOT! :disco:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:05 pm

Liz wrote:

But I tell my chocolate lab ten times a day that she's "the bestest pup".

Very entertaining tidbits this week, DITHOT! :disco:

Johnny in Pre Libertine Days lol

Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:24 pm

Glad you enjoyed them Veronica! What a perfect picture!!!!

Wow! What a ride!

DeppthBay

Unread postby DeppthBay » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:55 pm

I can think of almost nothing better in life than film or animals. :disco: Johnny and the little dog look so cute together! LOL :cloud9:
*All new beginnings begin with a past.*
Just to let you know- I have a complicated phobia of metal utensils.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:17 pm

Awwww.... today's tidbit.

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:14 am

I've known a few in my time, I even owned one for a little while, but he was very neurotic and I had to give him up. They are adorable, beauties ,big spaniel lover here, have had Cockers in the past.
they also come in the variety just known as the King Charles Spaniel but they have pug noses and are not so lovely I don't think.
Charles II's spaniels were not house trained and used to do unmentionables all over the palace I believe, including the bedroom. They also slept with him on the bed didn't get bathed either so would often be muddy. :yuck:

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:55 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Charles II's spaniels were not house trained and used to do unmentionables all over the palace I believe, including the bedroom. They also slept with him on the bed didn't get bathed either so would often be muddy. :yuck:

There's a scene you will enjoy in the movie...

I read the same thing about Louis XiV and that the halls of Versaille were like a mine field.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

AnaMaria

Unread postby AnaMaria » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:36 am

Cavalier's are the cutest dogs of all, (and Border collies are the smartest, mini-Gordon setters are the most beautiful, and chocolate Lab's the most adorable)

But a German Shepherd is overall # 1 no doubt. :grin:

Nice topic today Dithot !

Here's your picture clean:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Chero/Depp/Libertine/90ff0009.jpg

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:56 am

This is an appropriate topic for me today....I pick my new Cavalier puppy this afternoon! :bounce: :bounce:

This will be my first Cavalier King Charles, so I don't know what to expect, but from what I've heard and from what I've read..they are supposed to be smart, easy to train and eager to please! Sounds like my Jack Russell Terrier (except that eager to please thing :lol:). Actually, my Jack is very easy and super sweet! I got lucky.
Thanks for the info DITHOT :cool:

Here's a pic of my new puppy, he's a tri-color, 11 weeks!

Anyone care to take a guess what his name is :eyebrow:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:38 am

Very sweet I know a couple that colour one is very eager to please the other not so.Hope you will be very happy together :lol:

Return to “The Libertine”