Wilmot Tour 2006

by Stephen Jeffreys

Moderator: Liz

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:48 am

stroch wrote:It is a grace to be remembered after our deaths. It is lovely that Johnny's art has brought that grace to Wilmot, to Barrie, and even to Ed Wood.

stroch, you always make such perceptive comments. This one I find especially moving.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:43 am

Not sure that Spelsbury is entirely 900 years old.Although it does have Norman origins much of it was rebuilt during the 18th century.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:03 am

suec wrote:A lovely account, Jackslady, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading. It has evoked some special memories for me. I see that Spelsbury has upgraded its display.

Adderbury House is a bit of a puzzle. I hadn't realised that part of it had been pulled down. I have just finished reading 'A Profane Wit'. In it, the author states that the house John Wilmot lived in was pulled down after his death and rebuilt on the same site - by his half-nephew, I think. I didn't know that when I saw the house. I must admit to feeling a vague sense of unease at the time, because it looked like a contemporary of Blenheim with its Palladian style. I thought it must have been modernised at that time. After all, plenty of old houses have had new frontages put on them. But it seems that the family did to Adderbury what they did to Ditchley. Nevetheless, it is interesting that it still has a date of 1625.

High Lodge at least, is still there. You create the feel of it so well. I watched a programme recently about Capability Brown. According to the programme, it was Brown himself who designed the gothic appearance of it. They showed a house as it must have looked before it was given the makeover and a shot of it as it is today. I taped the programme but unfortunately, I only have a video recorder, not a DVD, so I can't take screen caps.

Thanks again for your account. Lovely to read.

I had a look at my copy of Pevsner on Oxfordshire and he says that High Lodge was rebuilt not sure that any of the original remains now :-/

He also says of Adderbury that is was mostly demolised in 1808, and then rebuilt by succesive generations.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:12 am

Jackslady..That was very beautiful..You recounted your travels with much love. :cloud9: ..It made me remember how beautiful the English countryside is and how there is still much that is unspoiled and timeless..You were brave to walk through those ancient woods..I'm not sure I would have had your courage..The eeriness of them comes through in your words...All this reinforces to me, that Rochester's legacy is a timeless one..like the village where he is buried..He lives on in many hearts :cloud9:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:39 am

gilly, reading about the walk in the woods gave me the creeps too. :fear: Just one of many well written passages!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:58 am

I could feel the walk in the woods too. I felt like I was there myself. Beautiful piece, Jackslady! Thanks for sharing your tour with us. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lizabel

Unread postby lizabel » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:16 am

I just had to post to say thank you Jackslady for your wonderful post - I was totally absorbed with it all! I would love to do the 'tour' too. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Your writing is so beautifully clear and descriptive. :cloud9:

If the timing's right and the gods are with you, something special happens. ~Rick Springfield~
17th April 2007-It happened.

BrownEyesToo

Unread postby BrownEyesToo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 am

Jackslady, that was all so beautiful and well written! I shall be watching The Libertine again from a new approach--with your pictures and wonderful descriptions in my mind. Thank you for all the time and energy it took to share it with us!
:cloud9:
"Johnny Depp, as far as I'm concerned, is number one. Of his generation, there's no one who can touch him." Christopher Lee

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:25 am

What a wonderful journey you've presented for us! You are quite the intrepid traveler and most gracious tour guide. Thanks for all the wonderful images, both in words and pictures. Well done and much appreciated!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:34 pm

Jackslady from your description I'm can't quite work which way you go to get to High Lodge. The main walk I know leads away from the house over the lake towards the monument, I think it then branches. Is it this way and branching off?
I used to go alot more often than I do know the park is beautiful, and the trees in the park itself are very old and knarled. I believe they have been filming the next Harry Potter there recently because they needed a very old looking tree

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Thank you all so much for your flattering comments :blush: I'm glad everyone has enjoyed the report! I'm passionate about Wilmot and seeing these places was both fascinating and moving.

Thank you also for the input on the historical questions surrounding some of the buildings. I try to be as accurate as possible when posting items on the zone and am particularly zealous where Wilmot is concerned. I have further info. on High Lodge and Adderbury House, I'm going to check some more books this evening and will add the info. tomorrow when I have it fully collated. Although it seems obvious there have been demolitions/alterations, there is still evidence to suggest that elements of the buildings Rochester knew remain.

GG, the road you mention is one way of reaching the Lodge, but I approached it from the opposite direction. I began by the Pleasure Gardens, walking on the Bladon side of the park. The walk takes you past the back of the Palace and down towards New Bridge. This bridge is marked on most of the guide maps. Now I have photobucket (!) I can post a map here if you like.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:39 pm

Yes, Jackslady, please post a map if you can. :bounce:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:51 pm

GG, if you get chance, could you post for us here what Pevsner says in his guidebook about High Lodge? He's usually very accurate isn't he. I am of the belief that some of the original remains. Looking at the building you can clearly see the shape and lines of the farmhouse.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:44 pm

Jackslady wrote:GG, if you get chance, could you post for us here what Pevsner says in his guidebook about High Lodge? He's usually very accurate isn't he. I am of the belief that some of the original remains. Looking at the building you can clearly see the shape and lines of the farmhouse.

Will do so tomorrow but it wasn't very much I think.Yes please do post a map so I can get my bearings :cool:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:24 am

Nicholas Pevsner wrote in his book on Oxfordshire
High Lodge, 1m E of the Palace, is the house of the ranger of Woodstock Park and was rebuilt in Gothic style probably by Capability Brown c. 1768.It has an embattled central tower with a bat window.Prints of its predecessor show a square house with hipped roof.

I am putting in this link again which shows a differnt view of the Lodge. I think I posted it originally when we discussed suec journey last year
http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/detail.asp?calledFrom=oai&imageUID=46403

If you enlarge the image you can just about make out the roof you might have thought belonged to the original house.

Adderbury he writes was a 17 c house altered in 1661 by Ann Countess of Rochester.It is known from drawings which show a south front with 6 gables. He then goes on to describe later additions to the house mentioning the rainwater heads with the date of 1722 mentioned in your report. He then says that" In 1808 most of the house was demolished, and all that now remains of the main black is the present south front, of ashler, three storeys, with arched windows on the ground and first floors."
I assume he means from this the dated part you mention from 1625???

Btw just looking at what he says about Adderbury church
"One of the largest and most important churches in the county"

news to me :lol:

anyway here is a pic for you of the interior
http://www.oxfordshirechurches.info/AdderburyIntW.jpg

and another
http://www.oxfordshirechurches.info/AdderburyIntE.jpg

Return to “The Libertine”