Wilmot Tour 2006

by Stephen Jeffreys

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:49 am

Thanks for the info, incandescent. I would love to do a Wilmot tour one of these days if I ever get across the pond. Kings Chuck, eh? :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Jackslady
Posts: 3848
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:17 pm
Location: The Captain's Cabin

Status: Offline

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:16 pm

incandescent wrote:Hello
I was at Kenwood House on Hampstead Heath today and in the Suffolk Collection of portraits I saw an Earl Of Rochester................... but it was laurence pyke - I think - from 1685. Surely some relation

Also splendid portraits of Kings Chuck 1&2, as they are known colloquially.

Well worth a visit if you are in North London, innit.


Incandescent, I think you might have seen a portrait of Laurence Hyde, to whom the earldom of Rochester was passed following Wilmot's death. I know very little about Hyde, (my research hasn't got that far yet) but in fact the speech Wilmot is shown making to the House of Lords, was in fact not made by him, but by Laurence Hyde in later years when he was earl. A partial transcript of this speech can be found in the book, The Debt to Pleasure, where it is incorrectly credited as being made by John Wilmot. I have more information on this point filed away somewhere, when I can put my hands on it, I'll post it here.

The Wilmot line ended with the death of John Wilmot's young son, Charles; Laurence Hyde was not related to JW.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

incandescent
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:07 am
Location: Western Australia

Status: Offline

Unread postby incandescent » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:03 am

Wow, thanks. You certainly have a comprehensive knowledge.

Of course I meant Hyde :blush: now you mention it, I knew it was a Y for the second letter. It's my jetlag don't you know, plays havoc with my grey matter
You're about a quart low.

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162691
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:47 am

After Wilmot's son died the Earldom died out, and was recreated and given to Laurence Hyde who was made 1st Earl of Rochester, quite confusing :-/

Bit of trivia, Laurence Hyde was the brother in law of the future James II of England, Charles II's brother

User avatar
Jackslady
Posts: 3848
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:17 pm
Location: The Captain's Cabin

Status: Offline

Unread postby Jackslady » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:44 pm

I'm going to have a look at the old BBC t.v. series The First Churchills, which I have on video. I remember Hyde's character features quite a lot in that.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162691
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:37 pm

Jackslady wrote:I'm going to have a look at the old BBC t.v. series The First Churchills, which I have on video. I remember Hyde's character features quite a lot in that.



Gosh haven't watched that since it first came out. It would be interesting to watch again because I was very young at the time and have since then become so fond of Charles it would be interesting to see how he is portrayed.I know he is not in it for long as the series is about the Churchills and their relationship with Queen Anne mainly. Laurence Hyde's father of course was also a prominent figure in Charles II's court being his chief adviser, can't recall his exact title. :banghead:

User avatar
Jackslady
Posts: 3848
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:17 pm
Location: The Captain's Cabin

Status: Offline

Unread postby Jackslady » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:07 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Jackslady wrote:I'm going to have a look at the old BBC t.v. series The First Churchills, which I have on video. I remember Hyde's character features quite a lot in that.



Gosh haven't watched that since it first came out. It would be interesting to watch again because I was very young at the time and have since then become so fond of Charles it would be interesting to see how he is portrayed.I know he is not in it for long as the series is about the Churchills and their relationship with Queen Anne mainly. Laurence Hyde's father of course was also a prominent figure in Charles II's court being his chief adviser, can't recall his exact title. :banghead:


Lord Chancellor, I think, GG.

I'm going to start watching it again tonight. I've seen the video boxed set and also the DVD in Past Times shops. I was pretty young when I first saw it, too. It comes over as being a bit wordy by present day t.v. standards (not that there's anything wrong with that) and the sets are a bit cardboardy (!) but there are some very worthy actors in it. Rochester has a very small role in it, in the earlier episodes. I don't know the actor who is playing him, but he is a slightly-built man with a delicate face who captures JW quite well.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162691
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:11 pm

Jackslady wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Jackslady wrote:I'm going to have a look at the old BBC t.v. series The First Churchills, which I have on video. I remember Hyde's character features quite a lot in that.



Gosh haven't watched that since it first came out. It would be interesting to watch again because I was very young at the time and have since then become so fond of Charles it would be interesting to see how he is portrayed.I know he is not in it for long as the series is about the Churchills and their relationship with Queen Anne mainly. Laurence Hyde's father of course was also a prominent figure in Charles II's court being his chief adviser, can't recall his exact title. :banghead:


Lord Chancellor, I think, GG.

I'm going to start watching it again tonight. I've seen the video boxed set and also the DVD in Past Times shops. I was pretty young when I first saw it, too. It comes over as being a bit wordy by present day t.v. standards (not that there's anything wrong with that) and the sets are a bit cardboardy (!) but there are some very worthy actors in it. Rochester has a very small role in it, in the earlier episodes. I don't know the actor who is playing him, but he is a slightly-built man with a delicate face who captures JW quite well.


Graham Armitage according to Imdb.
All I remember is Susan Hampshire being good, some rather gory, for those days battle scenes and Charles II's deathbed scene. I've often wondered about watching it again, perhaps I will do sometime :cool:


Return to “The Libertine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest