It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A BIG THANK YOU
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:09 pm 

Hi everyone, I hope it's okay to create this thread..I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for The Libertine discussion!!
I've really enjoyed it and I've learned so much.

SueC, your tour was wonderful and has greatly added to my knowledge and thank you to everyone who has posted such detailed information.

I have five more books on JW lined up, so his life will continue to be a big part of mine! I'm sad the discussion is over because you guys are the only people with whom I can share my little secret obsession!

I hope everyone here will be able to see the film soon, in the meantime, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! :grouphug:

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:12 pm 

Good idea, I want to add my thanks. It's been wonderful to read everybody's comments and thoughts. SueC's tour was magnificent and I've saved a few of her pics. I shall look forward to big discussions on the film after the general release in January.
:cool:

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:17 pm 

I'd like to add my thanks as well. DITHOT and Liz, as always, great discussions and thought-provoking questions and informative tidbits. SueC, your tour posts were marvelous and your descriptive way with words made me really want to visit and explore those places. Also, thanks to everyone who posted and shared their ideas and opinions. I always enjoy a fresh take on things that's different than my own. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:29 pm 

QueenofKings wrote:
I'd like to add my thanks as well. DITHOT and Liz, as always, great discussions and thought-provoking questions and informative tidbits. SueC, your tour posts were marvelous and your descriptive way with words made me really want to visit and explore those places. Also, thanks to everyone who posted and shared their ideas and opinions. I always enjoy a fresh take on things that's different than my own. :cool:

And also to you, Jackslady, for the light you have been able to shed on Wilmot from your detailed reading.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:34 pm 

Yes, thanks from me too a good discussion with suec's lovely tour and some great tidbits, always a favorite period of mine. Alas I have not seen the film and will have no oppertunity to do so now until the DVD and so will only be able to read what everyone else thinks of it when it get discussed later :bawl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:45 pm 

I have read the play five times and been lucky enough to see the movie once. I have gotten something different out of it each time I read it, again when I saw the movie and you all give me even more to things to think about during our discussion! I am so glad you all participated in this discussion! :thanks!: It has really been interesting! We will revisit the topic when the movie and/or dvd comes out.

In the mean time, I hope you all are reading Inamorata! I think this is one you will want to be in on...
:grin:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:17 pm 

My thanks, too, DITHOT and Liz....and Suec...wonderful discussion, tidbits and tour.

I started reading Inamorata yesterday....not what I expected at all.
It's quite intriguing already!! I shouldn't be surprised, should I?!!!

bluebird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:03 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Thanks, Jackslady, for starting this thread. I want to add my thanks to everyone who participated and shared their knowledge. I too got something new out of it in reading it a second time, but mostly in the discussing of it the second time. And that is due to all of you. You guys :rocknroll: !

Also, a big thanks to Suec for her incredible tour and to FANtasticJD for her insightful comparison piece.
:cool:

I'm looking forward to seeing you all in February for the Inamorata discussion and for our weekly Monday Night Threads. And don't forget that Inamorata tidbits begin in January.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:12 pm 

I want to add my thanks also to Liz, DITHOT, Suec and FanJD!

I have learned so much and still reading about JW also.

Inamorata is a great book and I hope you will join in on the discussion cannot wait for that book too! Think I will have to re-read it though!

thanks everyone!

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:39 pm 

Even though I didn't particpate too much in this discussion, I would like to thank you all as well. My absence was largely due to the riveting book Raven recommended - it gave me much more insight and compassion for the Earl than anything else I have read. But I read a lot of your posts and was, as always, depply impressed and humbled by them. Suec, thanks for the magnificent tour. I haven't had the time to properly appreciate it either, so I hope it stays on the boards a litlle while. It will have a definite influence on my agenda the next time I visit the UK. Between this tour and the Kensington Gardens tour, I'll feel like I'm time-travelling!!

Thanks, all! And thanks, as always, to our gurus of all things literary - the peerless Liz and DITHOT!!!! :thanks!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:32 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Lumi, not to worry. Suec's Tour will remain on the ONBC board for at least a couple of weeks. But after that you will always have access to it, as a registered member, because it will remain in the ONBC Archives.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:46 am 

I don't think there's been a day of checking ONBC and trying to keep up with all of the neat goings on that I didn't feel gratitude! The book was so rich! And then to have layers and layers of background provided by Liz, DITHOT, suec, and those who had read other Wilmot bios just added so much! Thanks so much to all of you and to all those who provided other fascinating insights. :applause: This has been so great! Bring on that movie!! :giddy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:58 am 

Liz, DITHOT, Suec. FAN and Jackslady... plus everyone who posted. I have been completely spoiled by this rich experience... and I'm not talking about the Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:46 am 

Thanks so much for revisiting The Libertine ,Liz and DITHOT :cloud9: ..It was great talking about and reading that period of English history..I was in heaven,talking about Charles II and Nell Gwynn,e.t.c...And thanks to suec for her wonderfully evocative tour :cloud9: ..Jackslady...When is your book coming out? :-O ..Lastly ,thanks to all the contributors...you guys are brilliant...What a dynamic bunch :bouquet: .

I have faith in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:35 am 

bluebird wrote:
My thanks, too, DITHOT and Liz....and Suec...wonderful discussion, tidbits and tour.

I started reading Inamorata yesterday....not what I expected at all.
It's quite intriguing already!! I shouldn't be surprised, should I?!!!

bluebird

I started reading Inamorata a few weeks ago, wonderful read, have been marking lots of descriptive passages and TONS of words to look up later! I got sidetracked by the reading I have to do for my computer class (which is also why I didn't participate in the second Libertine discussion), but I am on holiday break now so I hope to finish Inamorata in the next few days.

I think this will be one of the best discussions we have had yet. don't miss it!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next