Johnny and Andrew Birkin's Book

by Andrew Birkin

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Johnny and Andrew Birkin's Book

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:48 pm

DeepInDepp found this great article in the Times on line about Johnny and J.M. Barrie. Below are a couple of excerpts from the article. It wold seem that Johnny did indeed read Mr. Birkin's book! :bounce: Click on the link at the bottom to read the entire article.

Great find! Thanks for sharing, Deep! :cool:

"It’s a fascinating theme, what society deems as normal and abnormal and who decides and why," Depp says of his affinity for these misfits. "How that kind of judgment is placed on people, a lot of times people in the public eye, but also people in villages and small towns. ‘Oh that guy is different. He’s the weirdo.’ Well, why is he? That kind of thing I’m fascinated with. And also there is the sense of not allowing the world to throw too much garbage on you, to try and retain some of those gifts we are given as children, those childlike qualities - curiosity, fascination - and not be jaded."

He tells you this with a kind of childlike delight. He loves "documents", is happy spending hours doing his own research. It’s easy to see why Marc Forster, who directed the acclaimed Monster’s Ball, couldn’t see beyond Depp for Barrie. Yet at first, Depp was noncommittal. Then he read the script and started his research on Barrie, read biographies, and was hooked. "I really liked Andrew Birkin’s J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys," he says. The story is a version - Forster admits that they have changed some historical facts - of how Barrie met Sylvia Llewelyn Davies (played by Winslet) and her four young sons, and began a close relationship with them that would scandalise Edwardian society.

For Depp, there is also the chance to put to rest some of the unsavoury rumours occasionally linked to Barrie’s name - that his interest in the Llewelyn Davies boys was unhealthy. "I remember hearing stories about Barrie that were less than kind," Depp says. "No, in fact they were downright monstrous; basically it boiled down to rumour and hearsay and I thought, considering what he gave to the world, he deserved more. And if there was any way I could brush off some of the dirt, then I would do it. I mean, here’s a guy who left the proceeds from the play and the book to Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London. I think he was a great man."

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5985
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:32 pm

Oh, DITHOT, that's the most exciting thing I've read in awhile--for me it's right up there with the accounts of meeting Johnny at the premiere. Johnny read and liked Andrew Birkin's book! Yay!!! I just knew it!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:13 pm

I have to agree SRT!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I was really excited to get the confirmation! Liz and I alwyas believed that he must have read the book since seems to be the definitive bio on Barrie. Kudos to Deep for passing it along! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys”