It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Please click here to view the forum rules

Page 10 of 12 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is there any Johnny Depp movie you haven't seen?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:27 pm 

A lot of the stuff he did when he was younger I haven't seen, and I tend to avoid biopics simply because I'm not keen on most of them. I did watch Finding Neverland after buying it for my mum and we both loved it and I now consider Public Enemies to be one of my favourite Johnny movies. I have seen every Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaboration partly because I'm a fan of both and also because I love Gothic horror and apparently so do they - Sweeney Todd is my all time favourite. I had never even heard of Once upon a Time in Mexico until I read about it on the Johnny Depp forums - it's now one of my favourites of Johnny's.
I think the only film I didn't like of his (which I've seen) is The Ninth Gate, and that was purely because the ending left me scratching my head. I did however think Johnny was amazing in it and I might check it out again - I have to admit I laughed at the post coital confrontation with Lena Olin!

I saw Platoon once - it was years ago and to my great shame I didn't even realise Johnny was in it!!! :blush: :ohno: :dunce:

By the way on the subject Platoon I can't help but think it's sad that Johnny, who's had a lot of personal problems, managed to turn his life around yet his Platoon co star Charlie Sheen has so far failed to do so. It's a pity because Charlie is a gifted actor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:26 pm 

Other than BNF all the way through--no. I own everything too, except of course the ones that can't be found anywhere and aren't even movies, like the Hotel episode and Dummies, etc. I'd love to see that Hotel episode in English--the only one of it that's on youtube is in German, and with no subtitles.

nebraska wrote:
The sound of his voice is wonderful on the Top Secret tapes ! The shows themselves aren't that great but oh! that voice!

Yes, like during the first part of WEGG when he does the voiceover of the introduction, before the movie actually begins. :smiliewithhearts: I could listen to that voice all day long.

But what are the Top Secret tapes??? I've never heard of them! :-O

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:03 pm 

A little over two years ago I removed Lost in La Mancha from my list. Now I can also remove Happily Ever After as I just watched it a few nights ago. Cute movie. Confusing when I'm trying to read the subtitles AND watch the movie. But, I have now seen the whole thing. :cool:

Captain Jack: "Well . . There is a chest."
Norrington: "Oh Dear."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:20 pm 

b.p. olive wrote:
A little over two years ago I removed Lost in La Mancha from my list. Now I can also remove Happily Ever After as I just watched it a few nights ago. Cute movie. Confusing when I'm trying to read the subtitles AND watch the movie. But, I have now seen the whole thing. :cool:

Yes, that drove me nuts too, especially when all 4 of them were sitting around a table talking, near or at the beginning of the movie. It was nearly impossible to read who was saying what and watch them at the same time--my eyes were worn out from going back and forth for almost 2 hours when the movie was over! :headache: And I have no excuse for having to do that because I took 2 years of French in high school....ages ago. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:32 pm 

I think I have probably seen all of Johnny's movies bar the earlier/very obscure ones and the cameos that have been mentioned.

One of the most exciting times for me was when I first discovered him in 2003 and then had fun collecting as much as I could of his back catalogue. I've had periods when I've intensively focused on a particular film, watching it numerous times...this has happened with all the Pirates films, OUATiM and The Ninth Gate and especially The Libertine. I'm a great admirer of his work with Tim Burton, but prefer Sweeney Todd and Ed Wood to the "children's films" such as Alice and Charlie.

These days I'm less of a completist than I used to be, I'm not particularly troubled that I haven't seen everything he's done. I did go to considerable trouble to get a copy of The Brave which is one of my favourite films - he gives a wonderful performance in it and even though the story is very dark, I also find it compelling. It's exciting to see him on screen with Marlon Brando.

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:31 pm 

I have never seen The Astronaut. I own the dvd so that's not the issue. Much of the stuff I read about it did nothing for me. It's not a character I'm interested in I guess. I'll get around to it someday. :-O

I also have a very spotty view rate in terms of early Johnny stuff. No Platoon, no Resort, maybe two 21 Jump Streets, No Nightmare. My interest starts with Cry Baby and moves forward. I 'think' it's something about a stronger interest in roles and parts that Johnny sought out.

My favorite? Libertine. I've been known to switch on a channel, realize it was playing, sit down on a coffee table and get up only when the film was finished.

Last edited by fireflydances on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:54 pm 

Like others, I haven't seen some of his earlier films. The one I really, really want to get (and is next on my list to buy) is The Man Who Cried. Having watched Sleepy Hollow, he clearly has good chemistry with Christina Ricci, and the clips I've seen look good. Also need to get The Brave. My favourite is Benny and Joon - oh, that love scene between Sam and Joon is so incredibly sweet and tender! And I love the soundtrack too.. :music:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:06 pm 

Seen them all!
Own them all, including The Brave.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:25 pm 

Lost in LM, Platoon, Private Resort, Dead Man.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 am 

Oops. While I've been taking some off my list of as-yet-unseen Johnny movies, there's one I need to add. I don't actually consider it a "Johnny movie," but he's in it and I have not yet seen it.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Captain Jack: "Well . . There is a chest."
Norrington: "Oh Dear."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:49 am 

L'inconnu. (saved the Johnny bits, but never saw the whole movie) and Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare if that counts.

I have all of the rest, and they occupy a lot of space, in more ways than one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:31 am 

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and the one where he plays Bon Bon. Among the rest there are several I'd only watch again if I were desperate for a Johnny fix, like for example Cry Baby and Arizona Dream.

What am I saying? I am always desperate for a Johnny fix. :loveshower:

"... a magnificence that comes out of your eyes, in your voice, in the way you stand there, in the way you walk ... you're lit from within ... you've got fires banked down in you ... hearthfires and holocausts ..."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:32 pm 

stroch wrote:
L'inconnu. (saved the Johnny bits, but never saw the whole movie) and Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare if that counts.

I have all of the rest, and they occupy a lot of space, in more ways than one.

Ditto Stroch :highfive: :applause2:

Quote "" you mean our grandchildren"

:paint: My Art Gallery
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:58 pm 

I think I have everything except a couple of really obscure items like his appearance on the Hotel TV series and some of the British comedy cameos and the Gypsy singers one. I wish everything was on DVD, but not everything is available in that format. He did the narration for a series of three programs called Top Secret about organizations like Scotland Yard - I have never seen DVD versions of that available and at the moment one of the VHS tapes is stuck in a non-functioning player. :banghead: My collection is really quite complete - I own Slow Burn, the Source, LA Without a Map, Cannes Man, a bunch of those odd ones. My favorites of his movies are probably from the Gilbert Grape/Benny and Joon/Astronaut's Wife/ Nick of Time era.

EDIT: Interesting to see I already answered this question once a long time ago. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:10 pm 

For many years, I absolutely refused to see CATCF. I remembered the original fondly but that was'nt the issue for me. I just had it fixed in my mind that I was tired of "family" movies and did not expect to like it.

Then my friend (who actually loves family movies) was going to make me sit and watch one so I picked this one because at least I got to look at Johnny. And I absolutely fell in love with it!

:lol: I just (finally) got the DVD and have watched this thing three times in a row!

:banghead: Except now I have the Veruca Salt song stuck in my head for life.

Page 10 of 12 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next