It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Please click here to view the forum rules

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:45 pm 

I am so glad I caught this post and what Frankie had to say. It is nice to hear of a problem from someone on the inside where you get a much better understanding. I am glad you were brave enough to post Frankie and welcome to the zone. I have a feeling you will contribute much. I was very much in ageeement when you mentioned the poker buddies, Benny and Sam all included as to who was the more learning disabled. I always thought a couple of Bennys freinds had some issues.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:50 am 

These are very kind remarks from all of you and I thank you.

In the meantime, I have gone back to read everyone else's posts. I am bowled over with the insights many expressed, the details in the movie they remembered (that I did not particularly note), and the articulation with which they spoke. It just goes to show that the Zone is full of intelligent, thoughtful people who see beyond what the mere eye sees. I thank you for all of your opinions and insights. Though I still hold with the opinions of my original post, I appreciate all the differing ideas of the Zoners, and in many cases, agree with what is said.

[Said Joon to Benny:] "Who died and made you Ed McMahan?"

[Said Joon of Sam:] "I Wish he could be my new Smail."

Post subject: Re: B&J Question #2--Mental Illness and Fairy Tales
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:45 am 

All the luck in the world Frankie. I'm a sufferer from clinical depression and anti depressants do not make you happy - they just make you less depressed! Medication isn't always the great cure all doctors believe, and most of us who suffer mental illness don't get cured we learn to live with it, often with the help of meds. I think Joon was suffering from bipolar rather than schizophrenia, but her real problem lay in the fact that Benny treated her like a five year old. He meant well, but he didn't really understand her needs - Sam saw her as a woman and a strong one who wrote his job application form for him, and accepted him for what he was, and was proud of that. In return he was her protector without ever smothering her - notice that at the end when she was using the iron he watched over her. The part that I found the most memorable was when Benny discovered they'd slept together - he acted as if Sam had molested a child not enjoyed a night of passion with the woman he loved - who made all the first moves, by the way!

Maybe this film is a fantasy, but it embodied me with a sense of hope - that there can be a happy ending for those of us the world see as different. I couldn't help but think that Sam and Joon were more at peace with the world than Ruthie and Benny, who were both discontented with what life had to offer. More than anything I had the impression that Joon wouldn't look after Sam and he wouldn't look after her - they would take care of each other - what more could any couple want in life?

Have any of you here by the way seen the movie Tim with Mel Gibson? Although it is darker than Benny and Joon it has a similar theme. I'd also like to point out that a cousin of mine suffers from Down's Syndrome, holds down a job and enjoys a personal relationship with a boyfriend.

She's also one of the wisest people I know.

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3