It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Please click here to view the forum rules

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #5--Love at First Sight?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:00 pm 
JDZ Webmaster

SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #5--Ichabod and Katrina: Love at First Sight?

The blossoming romantic attraction between Ichabod and Katrina affects the plot of SLEEPY HOLLOW, as well as adding new dimensions to their characters. Here are a few questions to ponder about their romance.

Ichabod and Katrina meet when he walks into a party at her home, and she, blindfolded, kisses him--the moment shown in the picture above. How did you react to this suggestion of love at first sight? Did it make you sympathetic toward Katrina, or suspicious of her?

Katrina takes the initiative in the relationship. Although Ichabod is obviously entranced by her, considering his skittish nature, would anything have happened between them if she hadn’t made the first (several) moves?

Given how fast Katrina “gets over” the death of “her brave man Brom,” did she ever love Brom in the first place?

At what point do you think Katrina starts to love Ichabod? Are her feelings genuine?

Since Katrina practices white magic, do you wonder if she uses it to help Ichabod fall in love with her? He does say to her, “You bewitched me;” might that actually be the case?

As always, you can respond to any or all of these questions. Have fun!

:writer2: :smiliewithhearts:

Part-Time Poet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:12 pm 

Perhaps all the questions run together. Given the times I have to say that her feelings for Brom were just of affection for someone she had known all her life and was expected to marry not someone she loved or had fallen in love with. Also she is confronted by a handsome stranger why not love at first sight. But yes if she hadn't made the first move I doubt awkward Ichabod would have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:22 pm 

The kiss was the only one we saw in their romance so I guess it must have been a pivotal moment for them
Ichabod was far too inhibited to ever make the first move so it was left to Christina. Whether she bewitched him I don't know, her only witchcraft seemed to be for protection as far as I could see. Had she really been a resourceful witch she might have not been so taken in by her step mothers witchcraft. I agree that she did not seem more than just fond of Brom.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:25 pm 
JDZ Webmaster

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Perhaps all the questions run together. Given the times I have to say that her feelings for Brom were just of affection for someone she had known all her life and was expected to marry not someone she loved or had fallen in love with. Also she is confronted by a handsome stranger why not love at first sight. But yes if she hadn't made the first move I doubt awkward Ichabod would have.

I agree with you on the "expected to marry" part regarding Brom, GG.

Katrina and Brom always seemed to me to be the kind of relationship you see in small town high schools--the high school football quarterback and the prettiest cheerleader are sort of paired up by popular expectations. There aren't a lot of other options in the dating pool and it's just sort of taken for granted that the handsome, athletic young man and the beauty belong together.

One thing you notice about Brom, though, is that he isn't the smartest guy in the valley--Katrina is intelligent, and you could see where she'd be drawn to a man like Ichabod, who had both beauty and brains, once he arrived in town. Conversation with Brom must have been rather unrewarding . . . and I can't imagine she could have ever been frank with him about her interest in magic. I don't think he would have understood.

:writer2: :smiliewithhearts:

Part-Time Poet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:40 pm 

I didn't feel that Katrina had the same depth of affection for Ichabod as he did for her. :blush: It seemed to me that she saw an opportunity for something more than Brom and went for it. Her moves and words seemed calculated in a way and not very heartfelt. I think she kissed him and said "Hey, I can work this" :cool: I think he fell for her as time went on :cloud9: and it was genuine. The way she reacted to the Brom incident made me loose respect for her and feel like she was a manipulator. She got what she wanted. Out of the small town. Do I think she used magic to obtain her desires, yes, it fit her character. I think if they did a movie about them 10 years down the road, you'd see Katrina moving on to the next great adventure leaving poor Ichabod scratching his head. :perplexed:

He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totemsBut when the camera was on him, some of the times, he kind of beamed Johnny out It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.John Richardson Esquire Magazine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:49 pm 

I agree with both GG and PTP about the expectation that Katrina and Brom would marry. While it may not have exactly been love at first sight, I do think that the sight of a handsome stranger definitely put ideas in her head.

I also agree that without Katrina's initative, nothing would have happened. Crane was far too nervous for that sort of thing.

In fact, on that same note, I think the kiss was a pivotel moment because I can't imagine Crane had a huge amount of success with the ladies in town either. Far too shy, far too nervous, and probably far too wrapped up in his job. The kiss may have been a first for him amd gave him reason to believe he actually stood a chance with her after Brom's death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:53 pm 

Mrs.Nobody wrote:
I didn't feel that Katrina had the same depth of affection for Ichabod as he did for her. :blush: It seemed to me that she saw an opportunity for something more than Brom and went for it. Her moves and words seemed calculated in a way and not very heartfelt. I think she kissed him and said "Hey, I can work this" :cool: I think he fell for her as time went on :cloud9: and it was genuine. The way she reacted to the Brom incident made me loose respect for her and feel like she was a manipulator. She got what she wanted. Out of the small town. Do I think she used magic to obtain her desires, yes, it fit her character. I think if they did a movie about them 10 years down the road, you'd see Katrina moving on to the next great adventure leaving poor Ichabod scratching his head. :perplexed:

You were posting while I was composing!! Great perspective!! I like it!! Manipulator? I like that word and I think it fits perfectly!

If I may...allow me to throw another question into the mix. Let's keep the script the same but change the actress. Do you think your feelings would be the same? Would a different actress convey a different feeling while speaking the same words?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:14 pm 

I haven't watched Sleepy Hollow for a while, I will have to do so in order to respond fully to the discussion..but...

I think Johnny and Christina portray perfectly the social constraints that would have been placed upon Inchabod and Katrina during the time in which they lived. For a young woman to kiss a young man so boldly would have been almost shocking - physical intimacy of any kind before a formal betrothal or indeed marriage would have been frowned upon by society. Johnny gives us Inchabod, stiff-backed, reticent, nervous, his formal clothes emphasizing the social constraints of the time.

I love this scene - it is sensitive and revealing. Johnny and Christina always work well together.

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:36 pm 

It's interesting that the responses to these questions seem to correspond a bit to the opinion of the poster as to the "fit" between Johnny and Christina in their respective characters.

As I have said, I do not think the "fit" was right - and maybe my take on the romance is affected by this. That said, I liked the first scene between them. I thought it was sweet - not contrived - and seemed perfect for the way such things might have been done in those times. Also, the reaction of both Ichabod and Katrina seemed genuine.

Katrina was definitely the mover in this relationship and I was willing to believe that her feelings for Ichabod were real - at first. She probably was deeply intrigued by this handsome stranger from the city. I think her marriage to Brom was either arranged or at least expected - and thus the apparent lack of passion for it on her part. So - I was not surprised by her reaction - or lack of it - when he was killed.

As the movie went on, however, it appeared that her "love" was more of an infatuation - although I think Ichabod's was more genuine, if a bit restrained. The fact that she could profess to NOT love him anymore simply because he had suspected her father of being the killer just did not ring true to me.

It would be interesting to take up the story 5 or 10 years down the line to see what became of this relationship.

[Avatar courtesy of The Black Pearl at KTTC.com]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:49 pm 

Keeping in mind that the kiss happened whilst Katrina was blindfold - ergo she didn't see Ichabod - I don't buy the 'love at first sight' theme. I'd say Katrina kissed Ichabod because she was, 1) an affectionate girl by nature, 2) foolishly cavalier with her kisses, 3) trying to make her boyfriend jealous, or 4) desperate! In any case, Ichy was affected by that random kiss for the rest of the story, which I still can't comprehend - you'd think the city would've toughened him up a little bit and made him a bit more thick-skinned, even if he lacked direct experience in matters of the heart.
Anyway, I can see why he was smitten with Katrina at the beginning, given her impetuous friendliness. I can also see why Brom was quick to defend his role as Katrina's fiance - she was clearly the only young, single female in the village! But her behavior from the party scene on seemed, in a word, unreliable. For example, one minute she was comforting Ichabod after his nightmare, the next she was rummaging through his personal affects. If she was supposed to be mysterious, she came across (IMO) as being merely petulant; if she was falling in love with Ichy, she wasn't very convincing (IMO), showing so little regard for the fate of her fiance. One wonders how that relationship came about - aside from the obvious fact that he was the only young, single male in the village. Two peas in a pod, darlin'! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:51 pm 

Ichabod and Katrina meet when he walks into a party at her home, and she, blindfolded, kisses him--the moment shown in the picture above. How did you react to this suggestion of love at first sight? Did it make you sympathetic toward Katrina, or suspicious of her?

I think it was just a sweetness torwards Ichabod, nothing really like love.

Given how fast Katrina “gets over” the death of “her brave man Brom,” did she ever love Brom in the first place?

I really don't think she LOVED Brom, I just think SH was a small town. She had to of wanted to feel protected, and loved. Who could she of choosed? So once Ichabod enters, it's exciting for her.

Profile YIM 

Post subject: Re: SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #5--Love at First Sight?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:50 pm 

I do not believe they had love at first sight, neither of them. Right off the bat I didn't think much of Katrina. As I've seen others say - I believe her to be manipulative and self-rewarding. Her interest in Ichabod was purely selfish.

Katrina takes the initiative in the relationship. Although Ichabod is obviously entranced by her, considering his skittish nature, would anything have happened between them if she hadn’t made the first (several) moves?

Not in a million years

Nope. He was the best thing the town had to offer and she took it.

At what point do you think Katrina starts to love Ichabod? Are her feelings genuine?

I don't think she ever loves him nor are her feelings geniune. I am left with the feeling that she wants out of Sleepy Hollow and Ichabod is her ride.

Since Katrina practices white magic, do you wonder if she uses it to help Ichabod fall in love with her? He does say to her, “You bewitched me;” might that actually be the case?

I believe Ichabod is infatuated with her. She is very different from anyone he's ever been around. She stands out in a forest of 'ordinary' people. I think he says the bewitching phrase in an effort to relate to her on a topic he knows nothing about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:00 pm 

I wouldn't say that Ichabod and Katrina fell in love at first sight, but I do think there was an immediate attraction there, and they at least wanted to get to know each other a bit more.

Ichabod is so shy that I don't think his relationship with Katrina would have progressed the way that it did if Katrina hadn't made the first move.

I definitely don't think that Katrina was in love with Brom. She wouldn't have gotten over his death so quickly if that were the case, and she never seemed to show any affection towards him when they were together.

While I was less than thrilled with Christina Ricci's portrayal of Katrina in Sleepy Hollow, I do believe that Katrina truly loves Ichabod. I feel that Ichabod is more attracted to Katrina than she is to him, but I don't think that makes her feelings for him any less genuine. Katrina proves her love for Ichabod when she follows him into the Western Woods because it shows that she was willing to put herself in harm's way for him. The drawings she does of the "Eye" also show that she loves him and wants to protect him. Katrina’s love for Ichabod also explains why she feels so betrayed when Ichabod suspected her father of controlling the Headless Horseman.

I don't think that Katrina uses any "spells" to earn Icahbod's affection. He is most likely attracted to her because she is the first woman to show love towards him since his mother died and because of how compassionate and devoted Katrina is to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 pm 

I'm in the minority here but I did see it as love at first sight. It made me sympathetic to Katrina not suspicious. She did make the first moves but Ichabod encouraged her. :flirt:
I don't think she was in love with Brom and she realized that when she met Ichabod. I think as GG pointed out, Katrina was "expected" to marry him and had some affection for him as someone she had known all her life. He seemed to sense in the party scene that Katrina and Ichabod are attracted to each other as he begins to act possessively towards her.
I believe her feelings for Ichabod were genuine and no, I don't think she used magic to bewitch him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:33 am 

Doesn't Ichabod actually say something about when he thinks Katrina fell in love with him, wasn't it when he said she followed him that day into the wood? so not really "love" at first sight, maybe just interest at first sight.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next