It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Please click here to view the forum rules

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #4--Heads Will Roll . . . Literally
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:27 pm 
JDZ Webmaster

SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #4--Heads Will Roll . . . and You Can Take That Literally

As a horror movie, SLEEPY HOLLOW has moments designed to frighten the audience--blood gushing, heads rolling, characters in peril. Many members of the cast die in fairly gruesome ways before the film is over.

Are there any scenes in SLEEPY HOLLOW that you don't watch because you find them too gross or disturbing?

Which scene creeps you out the most?

If you are a fan of the horror genre, do you consider SLEEPY HOLLOW a true horror movie, or would you classify it as something else . . . maybe a ghost story, or a mystery, or a dark romance?

Once you had seen the film to the end, did you find repeat viewings still alarm you, or does SLEEPY HOLLOW become more of a comedy with repeated viewings--more reassuring than frightening?

As always, you can respond to any, or all, of the above.

Thanks to all who have joined in the discussion so far . . . I have been enjoying reading your thoughts very much!

:writer2: :smiliewithhearts:

Part-Time Poet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:39 pm 

I think actually the music sets more of a tone than the movie itself, its not particularly scary or grusome really. There are certainly moments that make you jump, such as the witch morphing and Tim certainly knows how to make it creepy, but there is nothing gross or disturbing I find. The film has a 15 certificate but it has never stopped me allowing my kids to watch it below that age, most of the film is very over dramatic almost like a Hammer Horror if you are familiar with those. I find it an amusing film rather than a scary one, certainly it is not in the same catagory as alot of the blood and gore horror you get these days and which I would avoid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:40 pm 

I'm absolutely not a fan of the horror genre but SH doesn't look like a horror movie to me, not even scary. It has some frightening moments when watched for the first time (the heads rolling out of the tree) but alltogether I consider it much more a comedy than a dark movie. Johnny makes it funny, his humour makes the darkness much brighter. (and most of the rolling heads-scenes are so over-the-top that it's only amusing )
Now that I think of it; the scenes without Johnny are more grim than the ones with him, to my opinion.
The scene where young Ichabod finds his pierced mother still isn't my favourite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:44 pm 

I really don't watch true horror flicks so this seemed more like a creepy mystery to me. I may have been a bit surprised by all the slashing going on but after the first head or two it lost its surprise.

The only scene I thought was unnecessary was the horseman killing the young son of the midwife. The scene of Ichabods Mother falling out of the torture box was a bit much. All my repeat viewing just zeroed in on Johnny's acting and I liked his humor that lightens the story.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:18 pm 

After having seen Sleepy Hollow so many times now, the "gory" scenes no longer bother me since I know what to expect. Now whenever I see it, I can appreciate the humor and other aspects of the story.

The scene that freaks me out the most is when Brom gets sliced in half by the Headless Horseman. Talk about a gruesome way to die :freaked:…Ichabod's discovery of his dead mother and the part where the witch tells Ichabod where to find the Tree of the Dead are pretty creepy too. :yikes:

I am definitely not a fan of horror. I wouldn’t call this a true horror film because I am very squeamish around horror movies, and this film doesn’t scare me at all. I would consider it to be more of a thriller or mystery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:30 pm 

I found the movie to be much less scary than I expected. And much more humorous. All the blood didn't bother me, except when he did the autopsy of the widow. And my main problem there was that there shouldn't have been any fresh gushing blood from a corpse that old. :-? Guess I am too logical. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:32 pm 

Well, part of the reason SH isn't my favorite JD film is because I can't decide if it's supposed to be a horror movie or a comedy...and the two don't go together very well for me. Either I get lulled into thinking it's funny and then BOO! there's a really nasty horror scene - like the morphed witch or the torture device disgorging the Mom or the (too young) child NOT escaping the HH - or I focus on the horror and the humor turns vacuous and out of place. Go figure! :-?
On repeated viewings I still have to close my eyes at the red door/dream sequences - they remind me of "The Shining", which I still can't watch with both eyes open! The severed heads in SH don't bother me though, except that there are so many of them...I lose track of who has and who hasn't lost their head in the end. The best (most surprising and scary in a good way) special effect for me is when the horseman and his horse leap out from the tree of death. Otherwise I fear the effects either leave me cold or gross me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:34 pm 

I rarely watch the scene of Ichabod's mother in the Iron Maiden (is that what it's called?) I think that's the only scene I found disturbing, because there wasn't really any humour in it at all. I couldn't stand the scene when Ichabod found the heads in the tree at first, but on repeated viewings, I can bear it ;-)

I wouldn't consider Sleepy Hollow a real horror movie though. It's like a gothic fairytale to me. I think that's mainly a result of Tim's aesthetics. I don't think he meant for it to be a horror story. Sure, there's a lot of blood, but he wasn't concerned about whether it looked real or not. I wouldn't say it's a dark romance though =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:59 pm 

The first time I saw SH it scared the crap out of me. (*sidenote* I was probably around 9 or 10 years old.) Years later however when I picked it up and watched it again I still jumped at some scenes, but I've found the more I watch it the more I see it as a comedy and not as a horror flick.
For me personally the scene with the witch of the western woods (ya know what I'm talking about? I haven't watched it in awhile, forgive me if I've mixed it up with a different movie) gives me the heebie geebies, you just don't expect it!

Gonzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:39 pm 
JDZ Webmaster

gemini wrote:
I really don't watch true horror flicks so this seemed more like a creepy mystery to me. I may have been a bit surprised by all the slashing going on but after the first head or two it lost its surprise.

The only scene I thought was unnecessary was the horseman killing the young son of the midwife. The scene of Ichabods Mother falling out of the torture box was a bit much. All my repeat viewing just zeroed in on Johnny's acting and I liked his humor that lightens the story.

I had to be cajoled into seeing SLEEPY HOLLOW in the movie theater because I hate violent movies and am easily scared, so I never go to scary movies (I did make an exception for SECRET WINDOW, though). My daughter, who is a big fan of horror films and sees them all in the theater, insisted that SLEEPY HOLLOW "wasn't really a horror movie" and that I would be glad I'd gone.

She was right, although I tried not to watch the actual bloody parts--although sometimes you can't help it because Tim sneaks up on you with that red squirt gun. No time to look away.

The scenes that bothered me the most were the killing of the midwife's family, especially the baby--it was hard to see why that was necessary when it happened--and the fate of Ichabod's mother. Maybe it's because both of those scenes involved children and violence.

Later in the film, Katrina's stepmother says that the midwife was killed because she knew that the Widow Winship was pregnant and had told her husband about it, which explains why they were killed but not the child, who wasn't yet old enough to tell anybody anything. I think it's included to make the horseman more frightening . . . because he has no compassion or tenderness for the little boy. That made him more scary as an adversary, I guess, once I'd seen that--I knew he would never show pity for anyone in any circumstances.

Part-Time Poet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:00 pm 

part-time poet wrote:
gemini wrote:

I had to be cajoled into seeing SLEEPY HOLLOW in the movie theater because I hate violent movies and am easily scared, so I never go to scary movies (I did make an exception for SECRET WINDOW, though). My daughter, who is a big fan of horror films and sees them all in the theater, insisted that SLEEPY HOLLOW "wasn't really a horror movie" and that I would be glad I'd gone.

She was right, although I tried not to watch the actual bloody parts--although sometimes you can't help it because Tim sneaks up on you with that red squirt gun. No time to look away.

The scenes that bothered me the most were the killing of the midwife's family, especially the baby--it was hard to see why that was necessary when it happened--and the fate of Ichabod's mother. Maybe it's because both of those scenes involved children and violence.

Later in the film, Katrina's stepmother says that the midwife was killed because she knew that the Widow Winship was pregnant and had told her husband about it, which explains why they were killed but not the child, who wasn't yet old enough to tell anybody anything. I think it's included to make the horseman more frightening . . . because he has no compassion or tenderness for the little boy. That made him more scary as an adversary, I guess, once I'd seen that--I knew he would never show pity for anyone in any circumstances.

Part-Time Poet

I agree the most with both of these comments. The child getting killed was a bit much but it gave the horsemen more clout as someone not to be messed with. PERIOD! I was on the edge of my seat when Ichabod was on the bridge at night. That was the scarriest thing to me because he was so "la te da" like.

I really do not like slasher movies at all or pure horror films unless it is science fiction like Aliens or Invasion of the Body Snatchers. If the enemy is not of this world kind of thing, that isn't that gross.

I do not like the Jason or Freddie movies so I've never seen Johnny in NOES. I do not consider Sleepy Hollow a true Horor movie. More of a legend or folk lore movie.
If there was less decapitating I would let my son watch it and he is five but it is too bloody.
I find it very funny the more I watch it and I don't get too scarred anymore watching it. It is also a very beautiful movie and there are so many interesting things to look at, Tim does a great job!

He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totemsBut when the camera was on him, some of the times, he kind of beamed Johnny out It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.John Richardson Esquire Magazine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:30 pm 

Sleepy Hollow seems more like a creepy mystery movie to me than a horror movie - which made it easier for me to watch it. In fact, my daughter who likes REALLY scary and gross movies, thought SH was "lightweight" (but she does enjoy watching it).

That said - I usually fast forward through the scene where the horseman kills the midwife and her family and where Ichabod's mother falls out of that coffin-like thing and the blood gushes out - ICK!!!!!

[Avatar courtesy of The Black Pearl at KTTC.com]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:10 pm 

I view this movie as more of a murder-mystery. There are definitely comic tones to it (and that makes the heads rolling around much easier to sit through).

The part that upsets me is the killing of the midwife and her family - the first time I saw it I was horrified and I still have a problem watching it. After a lot of thought though - I think it was integral to the story and made the horseman a much more hated and feared villan on a personal level (that was what Tim's aim was I think). This scene alone makes me wonder what Sweeney Todd will be like - Tim doesn't mind really going for it...can't wait to see what he does with :sweeneydepp:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:22 am 
JDZ Web Designer

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
I think actually the music sets more of a tone than the movie itself, its not particularly scary or grusome really. There are certainly moments that make you jump, such as the witch morphing and Tim certainly knows how to make it creepy, but there is nothing gross or disturbing I find. The film has a 15 certificate but it has never stopped me allowing my kids to watch it below that age, most of the film is very over dramatic almost like a Hammer Horror if you are familiar with those. I find it an amusing film rather than a scary one, certainly it is not in the same catagory as alot of the blood and gore horror you get these days and which I would avoid.

I agree with you, GG -- I think the film definitely harkens back to the Hammer Horror film genre. I think, in Sleepy Hollow, Tim paid homage to the films he grew up watching. So I guess I'd classify it as a fantasy horror/mystery film.

And yes, the humor fits in with the style. Even before the Hammer films (which had a campy kind of humor), the old horror movies with Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, or Peter Lorre always had little bits of humor in them -- dark humor, I'll admit -- but humor. And it works in Sleepy Hollow. Just enough to keep you off balance and wondering whether the movie is supposed to be a comedy or a horror -- and what's coming next.

The scene that I definitely could have done without was the flashback scene with Ichabod's mother in the Iron Maiden. I think that one was a little over the top, and that part of the story could have been handled differently. The scene with the midwife and her family was disturbing, but it helped define the story so I understand why it was there.

Post subject: Re: SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #4--Heads Will Roll . . . Literal
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:50 am 

Are there any scenes in SLEEPY HOLLOW that you don't watch because you find them too gross or disturbing?
Actually that contrapsion behind Johnny in the court room with the man in it looking wierd!. . . I find it disturbing to think that Johnny had to have it. Why would anyone want that. So to continue. . .

Which scene creeps you out the most?
Everytime I watch it I focus on that thing! Creepy!

If you are a fan of the horror genre, do you consider SLEEPY HOLLOW a true horror movie, or would you classify it as something else . . . maybe a ghost story, or a mystery, or a dark romance?
Not so much a full blown horror movie, because I grew up as Sleepy Hollow being more of a "fairy tale", with a hero saving all, but scary!

Once you had seen the film to the end, did you find repeat viewings still alarm you, or does SLEEPY HOLLOW become more of a comedy with repeated viewings--more reassuring than frightening?
As all of Johnny's movie's, every time I watch them, I keep enjoying him more as an actor. I also love figuring out all the connections of the Headless Horseman's victims. I like movies that make you think and be involved. This one does.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next